View Full Version : Another Newbie Question.........Transfering Files

ERJRy
04-11-2003, 03:21 AM
First off, thanks to everyone who's helped me this first week. I didn't think the PPC would be so much different than XP.

Anyway, next question. I have been able to cut/paste themes from my desktop to SD Card on Axim with no probs. But when I try and cut/paste ebooks or MP3's to the SD Card it won't allow me to. The "paste" option is not available.

So.....what's the best way to tranfer files from desktop to Axim. I tried ActiveSync, but it said I had 15 files that weren't in sync- yet I only selected one ebook to transfer. Anyway, I bailed on that method and came here. Thanks again.

Sven Johannsen
04-11-2003, 04:04 AM
First, why would you 'cut' and paste. That removes the file from your desktop. 'Copy' and paste would put a copy on the PPC, regardless where on the PPC you put it.

If you have the PPC explore window open to the SD card (which is how I presume youare doing this) you can just drage the file over to the PPC window, just like dragging it to another folder. Since the PPC is a seperate device the drag will default to copying (as opposed to moving).

It may be the files you were trying to cut and paste were locked or read only. This would preclude them from being moved (which is what a cut and paste does, though actually it copies and then deletes the original)

The sync folder created when you turn on files sync, becomes a mirror of everything in your My Documents directory (in Main RAM, not any on flash cards). That can include notes, preset up folders, etc. The first time yu turn it on, you will undoubtedly have a number of items that will sync from your PPC to the desktop. Once established, to put a file on the PPC you just drag it into (or copy it into) the synced files folder on the desktop. Anything you create on the PPC that goes into My Documents will aslo sync to the desktop at the next sync. In any case I wouldn't use this method to get MP3s or books onto your PPC. You don't want them in Main RAM anyway, and they are not something you update on a regular basis that needs to sync back and forth.

Jeff Rutledge
04-11-2003, 04:12 AM
It may be the files you were trying to cut and paste were locked or read only. This would preclude them from being moved (which is what a cut and paste does, though actually it copies and then deletes the original).

I think that's probably what's happening. I know that I've had instances where I can't move files from the DT to the PPC via ActiveSync. I don't even try now so I can't say if it's all the time or just some of the time, but I always Copy now.

ERJRy: Can you copy/paste to the SD card with AS?

Also, I'd suggest you try to clean up the sync status with your Files and get rid of the Unresolved items. The way I usually do this is to move all the files out of my PPC_My Documents folder to a temp folder somewhere else on the Desktop. This causes all the files to be deleted on the PPC. One both folders are empty, move the files back and your unresolved items should be fixed.

If not, another option is to remove Files as a synchronized service (in Tools/Options in ActiveSync) by unchecking it as an option. Then you can re-check it and it should resynchronize your files.

ERJRy
04-11-2003, 04:56 AM
Got it. Thanks for responses.

Turns out that I was trying to COPY/Paste files from subfolders. For some reason, XP/Axim didn't like that. I moved the files to the My Docs folder and it allowed me to copy and paste.