View Full Version : Barcode Scanning System for Pocket PC

yaniv
04-10-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi all,
I have been a regular reader of PPT for over a year, but this is my first post. Thanks for all of you for buiding and maintaining such a great community.
Now here is the problem I hope you might be able provide me some inputs.
We are in the process of implementing Asset Tracking and Inventory Management system at my firm. We are looking for a barcode scanning enabled system. Probably a CF Barcode scanner card for PocketPCs with client software for both PockectPCs and desktops and barcode printer. We are looking to purchase the complete solution instead buying cards, printer seperately and then building the our application from APIs.
Have any of you implemented any similar system? Any suggestions inputs will be greatly appreciated.
I have done some searching on Google etc., but couldn't find any suitable ones.
Thanks in advance for all your inputs. This is my first post, hence please bear with me if I made any mistakes.

dh
04-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Funny you should ask that, I happen to be in the barcoding business. I personally work in healthcare related areas but our company handles all kinds of applications.
There is a lot going on in our area because the FDA is going to mandate barcoding for prescription pharmaceuticals.
If you want to send me more info on what you want to do, I'll put you in touch with the right people. [email protected].
Don't want to make this too commercial so I'll shut up now.

tucker26
04-11-2003, 12:27 AM
Symbol has some ruggedized integrated scanning devices:
http://www.symbol.com/products/mobile_computers/mobile_ppc_ppt2800.html

yaniv
04-11-2003, 03:35 AM
Thanks for your suggestions so far.
I have taken a look at Symbol's stuff. They are nice, but I would rather prefer a CF Barcode Scanner Card to use with the existing Pocket PCs we have.

spursdude
04-11-2003, 04:34 AM
I realize this isn't as streamlined as you may want it, but you can certainly check out the bar code scanner (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004T712/qid=1050032014/sr=1-18/ref=sr_1_18/103-7902281-1458239?v=glance&s=electronics) at Amazon.com.

yaniv
04-11-2003, 05:44 AM
I did take a look at Sockect's various CF barcode cards. But wasn't very impressed with the Software. There maybe some third party software which will work with those cards, but I don't know of any. Does anybody know?

TopDog
04-11-2003, 09:26 AM
I did take a look at Sockect's various CF barcode cards. But wasn't very impressed with the Software. There maybe some third party software which will work with those cards, but I don't know of any. Does anybody know?
There's a lot of 3'rd party software. The Socket SDK is easy to implement, and my company for example (www.epocketsolutions.com (http://www.epocketsolutions.com)), makes software with Socket drivers implemented.

dh
04-11-2003, 12:06 PM
I've tried to send you some info, but keep getting the emails back when replying to your address.

yaniv
04-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Sorry David, I don't know why it's happening. I sent you mail from my work account and it's not like my mailbox is full or something. Anyway try this <vbanari AT hotmail DOT com>. Thank you very much.[/quote]