View Full Version : Blue Tooth enabled phone experience (w/ 5455)

jsanfordii
04-10-2003, 03:28 PM
My son (1 year) chunked (tecnical term) my cell phone, and cracked the screen. Now I need to replace my cell phone with a new one (DARN IT hehehehehe - especially since my wife thinks it's her fault...I'm so sad).

I have a 5455, and was wondering what you guys would recommend for a bluetooth enabled phone that works well with it? I'm with t-mobile now, but may consider moving to a new provider (my favorite experience so far has been with Sprint).

Thanks,

James

that_kid
04-10-2003, 03:49 PM
T68i is the phone to go with, If I had gsm service that would be the one that i'd pick. I have sprint and since they don't have any bluetooth phones I have to get connected via other means. From what I've seen the T68i is the phone to go for if you want BT.

jsanfordii
04-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the info...I didn't realize that they didn't have supported phones for BlueTooth, so that saves me some time.

I'm on the T-Mobile site, and they have a Nokia 3650 that lists Bluetooth as a feature ($299 - I won't get a break since I'm already t-mobile, but then again I won't have to reprint business cards with a new cell phone number). I wonder how this one works...

james

Iznot Gold
04-10-2003, 06:14 PM
T68 is the way to go!
Nokia's implementation of BT is a little quirky as I understand it. My Ipaq, T68 & BT headset work like a dream.
David

jsanfordii
04-10-2003, 08:59 PM
I went to the TMobile store and bought the t68. No one seemed to have the Nokia....

What headset are you using?

James

Iznot Gold
04-10-2003, 09:07 PM
Jabra Headset

jsanfordii
04-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Well, I got my new phone paired with the 5455, but I'm not sure what this buys me. I was expecting to be able to click on a contact, and send the phone number to the phone. I'm not exactly sure what I can do between the phone and the iPaq. What are you using the connection for?

William Yeung
04-11-2003, 05:00 PM
What you can do with BT Phone + iPAQ?
1. Surf Internet either GPRS or GSM
2. Call contact (but except you have a long number to dial, usually the response time is enough for you to find the number and dial yourself)
3. 3rd party software to send SMS, download songs... etc...

ale_ers
04-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Speaking of the Jabra headset...does anyone have the version for non-bluetooth phones. I was thinking of getting this, using it w/ my cordless phone (in my office) then also being able to use it w/ my T68 (when I get it)

My concerns were:
1. how difficult would it be to 'pair' it w/ a new device every time I wanted to.
2. I have seen pictures of the two headsets (for bluetooth and for non). and I was wondering if the 'holster' is too much different, or can you just remove the 2.5mm cord later.

Thanks in advance.

Looxer
04-14-2003, 09:55 AM
My son (1 year) chunked (tecnical term) my cell phone, and cracked the screen. Now I need to replace my cell phone with a new one (DARN IT hehehehehe - especially since my wife thinks it's her fault...I'm so sad).

I have a 5455, and was wondering what you guys would recommend for a bluetooth enabled phone that works well with it? I'm with t-mobile now, but may consider moving to a new provider (my favorite experience so far has been with Sprint).

Thanks,

James

Sony Ericsson T68 or T68i works well with iPAQ H5450. The best combination and it is not difficult to pair them. BT implementation is very smart and flexible on H5450 (so far the best in my opinion) you can chose/create profiles easy to handle. :wink:

However, the T68i must be always discoverable even if BT is turned ON. Normally when you turn ON BT on both device and have already established a partnership between them; you should be able to connect them, even if they are not discoverable. So every time I want to connect iPAQ H5450 I have to discover T68i. Previously I didn’t need to do that with Pocket Loox and T68i. Anybody experienced that?

:?

stevetooth
04-14-2003, 10:56 AM
However, the T68i must be always discoverable even if BT is turned ON. Normally when you turn ON BT on both device and have already established a partnership between them; you should be able to connect them, even if they are not discoverable. So every time I want to connect iPAQ H5450 I have to discover T68i. Previously I didn’t need to do that with Pocket Loox and T68i. Anybody experienced that?
:?

Hmm. This is very strange. If the devices are paired (you see the T68i in 5450's bluetooth manager/tools/paired menu and the PDA is in T68i's paired device list), and bluetooth is enabled on both devices (t68i: operation mode - on, 5450: "bluetooth turned on"), then T68i doesn't have to be in discoverable mode.

TheNewSteve
04-15-2003, 06:24 PM
i have the t68i and am thinking about getting a bluetooth card for my axim, now that they are really cheap.

the phone is good, get it through the amazon.com site, they will pair you with t-mobile service and you will get a huge rebate. (mine was $250-250=free).

-steve

Looxer
04-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Well yeah it is worth the money, I think it is one of the best mobile phones available, and don’t forget “Ericsson Invented Bluetooth”

:way to go:

piperpilot
04-17-2003, 08:49 PM
I have the T68i and a 5455, but can't get access the internet. I can get the phone recognized by the iPAQ and the iPAQ recognized by the phone but can't get any further. Someone told me it was because I have AT&T Wireless. I am very distressed about the whole thing. :cry:

don dre
04-17-2003, 09:22 PM
I have the T68i and it's def not one of the best phones invented the cell radio is weak and sometimes it takes forever to "boot up" or do any function. In the fall motorola will be unveiling the V600, a flip with BT and a 65k color screen . I hope to replace my T68i. I guess it really is an old phone though, it's been out for a while. The Nokia looks pretty ghetto in my opinion. I have the jabra headset though now I'd wait for the new one to come out.

foldedspace
04-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Concerning BT connectivity, do you prefer AT&T or TMobile? I always had trouble contacting co-workers who used Voicestream (TMobile) and am wary of switching.

Skitals
04-25-2003, 09:44 PM
For those with AT&T service... if i use my t68i to dial into my isp, this is just a voice call, right? So I could use the phone as a modem during the unlimited night and weekend minutes. Since it is just a voice call, you can do this right?

Thanks

Janak Parekh
04-25-2003, 10:25 PM
Concerning BT connectivity, do you prefer AT&T or TMobile? I always had trouble contacting co-workers who used Voicestream (TMobile) and am wary of switching.
It depends on where you are, and how good the respective GSM coverage is. There isn't one "right" answer.

--janak

Andrew
04-30-2003, 11:21 AM
Ive been using a nokia 6310i with my ipaq 3870, that I also plan to use to with my new ipaq 5455 when I buy it at least.
Admittedly the nokia is not the most configurable in terms of gprs settings and the bonding is a little quirky to set up if you dont know how, but otherwise its been a solid and reliable partner to my ipaq for a while now.
My provider just started offering flat-fee gprs this month too roughly 35USD for always on GPRS access - so for me now this has became a really useful partnership :)