View Full Version : I Made it Back Alive...

Jason Dunn
04-09-2003, 03:53 PM
After 26 hours of travelling, and several mishaps, I made it back alive. I'm amazed at how life piles up on you when you leave it to its own devices for eight days. I have hundreds of email messages to answer, and many updates to do on the site, but it feels so good to be home! Look for another Mobius article to be published later today, and things on the site will return to normal over the next couple of days. A big thanks to my team for keeping things running while I was gone! :way to go:

WillyG
04-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Welcome "back"! Hope you enjoyed the trip (im sure you did)

Monty Gibson
04-09-2003, 05:25 PM
Glad that you're back, now post that news tidbit about the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone I just sent you :wink:

Janak Parekh
04-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Glad that you're back, now post that news tidbit about the T-Mobile Pocket PC Phone I just sent you :wink:
Hey hey, let the man sleep. He needs it. :lol:

--janak

Monty Gibson
04-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Hey hey, let the man sleep. He needs it. :lol:

--janak

News never sleeps :lol:. Just kidding, go get some well deserved :zzz:

Jason Dunn
04-09-2003, 06:05 PM
News never sleeps

Let's not forget that other than myself, everyone else who writes for this site is a VOLUNTEER, which means then generously donate their time to each one of YOU to deliver the news & views. So be a bit more relaxed eh? 8)

lurch
04-09-2003, 07:03 PM
things on the site will return to normal over the next couple of days
Cool thing is, nothing was "abnormal" while you were gone! Just no posts from you, I guess...

Chris Edwards
04-09-2003, 07:05 PM
Welcome back Jason. Glad you had a safe (and hopefully fun :)) trip.

During the time you were gone, most of the snow melted here in Calgary :).

icatar
04-09-2003, 07:21 PM
I have hundreds of email messages to answer

What? A technology-savvy person like yourself doesn't have the means of getting to e-mail on the road? :jawdrop:

Chris Edwards
04-09-2003, 07:25 PM
He couldn't get his Fido GRPS connection working in Europe. I think he had internet access at Mobius and in Russia, but perhaps these 100's of emails are from the last 2 days that he's been travelling.

Or maybe he just didn't feel like checking his email. :)

bdegroodt
04-09-2003, 07:25 PM
News never sleeps

Let's not forget that other than myself, everyone else who writes for this site is a VOLUNTEER, which means then generously donate their time to each one of YOU to deliver the news & views. So be a bit more relaxed eh? 8) :twak: Never press a man who is in need of sleep. Welcome back Jason!

bdegroodt
04-09-2003, 07:27 PM
He couldn't get his Fido GRPS connection working in Europe. I think he had internet access at Mobius and in Russia, but perhaps these 100's of emails are from the last 2 days that he's been travelling.

Or maybe he just didn't feel like checking his email. :)

Hate to be the bad guy here, but I'll bring it up. Maybe another theory is that a PPC isn't reasonably developed enough to make WANTING to answer 100 emails on the road a desirable activity. Can we say...Built in keyboard MSFT?

GregWard
04-09-2003, 08:15 PM
Can we say...Built in keyboard MSFT?

We definitely should say it - and LOUDLY!!! I still want a Nokia 9210 form factor PPC. Or, failing that, what about the NEC 808 3G phone but running PPC?

Jason Dunn
04-09-2003, 08:44 PM
What? A technology-savvy person like yourself doesn't have the means of getting to e-mail on the road?

GPRS data roaming wasn't turned on with my Fido SIM, no Internet access from the hotel, Internet access during the day at Mobius, but no spare time to process email...so, yes, hundreds of email messages. But it would have been 500+ if I wasn't able to triage some mail and delete spam from the top of the Eiffel Tower using my new Orange SPV Smartphone... :D Orange gave us loaner SIMs that worked for a few days in Paris.

Jason Dunn
04-09-2003, 08:47 PM
Hate to be the bad guy here, but I'll bring it up. Maybe another theory is that a PPC isn't reasonably developed enough to make WANTING to answer 100 emails on the road a desirable activity. Can we say...Built in keyboard MSFT?

A wise man need never fear speaking the truth. :wink:

You're 100% correct - right now the tools for processing email simply aren't as efficient as processing mail on the desktop. They're great for READING email, but not for doing much else - the challenge of data entry on a mobile device is something we spent a lot of time talking about, and there's no perfect solution...but a built-in keyboard is a damn good step in the right direction! :mrgreen:

Jonathon Watkins
04-09-2003, 09:58 PM
Welcome back - glad you made it in one (healthy) piece. :D

Now, time to reset your internal clock and catch up on some Z's. :sunny:

szamot
04-10-2003, 03:49 AM
...but are you back with love from Russia? It is a great country, I wish I can visit it again one day....

Skoobouy
04-10-2003, 08:21 AM
"Leaving life to its own devices..."

:rofl:

blusparkles
04-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Haha, reading email from the Eiffel Tower is way cool! :D

Jason Dunn
04-10-2003, 01:13 PM
...but are you back with love from Russia? It is a great country, I wish I can visit it again one day....

Yes, I'm back home in Calgary now. I got a few nice pictures from St. Petersburg, although not as many as I would have liked - it was mostly Spb business, not a lot of time for touring.

Tim Allen
04-10-2003, 08:58 PM

I agree - but isn't this an issue for the hardware vendors rather than Microsoft?

bdegroodt
04-10-2003, 09:05 PM

I agree - but isn't this an issue for the hardware vendors rather than Microsoft?

Jason could probably give the insider's perspective on this one, but in my eyes, the support for the integrated keyboard has to come from the OS manufacturer first. That assumed, and I believe based on the Hitachi that is due up soon, there is support for the concept.

Given that MSFT controls the yes/no on licensing and the inclusion of specific feature sets (Screen size etc.), I think they are the obvious target for feedback on what we want in a device.

ARW
04-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Hey, where's the Mobious article you promised for later in the day Jason?

Waiting patiently, or trying to anyway. :|

Thanks,