View Full Version : Dell A02 ROM Posted for Axim

Janak Parekh
04-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Dell has released ROM version A02 for the Axims today (I'd provide a link, but their <a href="http://support.dell.com">support site</a> is cookied). Apparently, it has the following fixes: <li> Improved backup battery status monitoring<br /><li> Changed time-out values for power light (notifications) to improve battery life<br /><li> Improved start-up time<br /><li> Improved navigation button applet<br /><li> Improved CompactFlash modem interface driver<br /><li> Support for C1 stepping of Intel XScale CPU The last one is interesting, in light of <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11036">various posts</a> about new Dell Axims containing the new PXA255 (C1 stepping) XScale processor.<br /><br /><b>Note:</b> The upgrade will, like many ROM upgrades, hard reset your device.

Underwater Mike
04-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Hmmm, I can't get anything to show up on that page, whether I go via the link you posted or work my way in through the Axim forums. I bet the fix either is not posted or the site is getting hammered.

Janak Parekh
04-08-2003, 08:43 PM
Hmm, I was trivially able to get to the description page for the firmware, complete with the download link. I never tried the download, though. Don't try to list one category of files for the Axim - try listing all of them and see if it's in there.

--janak

VanHlebar
04-08-2003, 08:44 PM
I found it under the downloads sections. I had to choose all for product type and then PPC for operating system. From there it was the last download on the list with a date posted of April 8th.

Hope this helps,
-Eric

IntegraPrelude98
04-08-2003, 08:44 PM
I got it to work..once on the dell support page I just choose the Axim and went followed the links to the download section. It is downloading for me as we speak.

IntegraPrelude98
04-08-2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the guy above my first post explained it a lot clearer than I did :oops:

Ed Hansberry
04-08-2003, 08:46 PM
I got it to work..once on the dell support page I just choose the Axim and went followed the links to the download section. It is downloading for me as we speak.
Dell has, IMHO, the best support pages of any OEM but you do have to start at the beginning. It is nothign like the spaghetti of CPQ/HP's site where everything seems to take you the checkout pages. :?

egads
04-08-2003, 08:48 PM
Hmmm, I can't get anything to show up on that page, whether I go via the link you posted or work my way in through the Axim forums. I bet the fix either is not posted or the site is getting hammered.

Its there, I just got it.
In "Select Your Download Category" select "all"
In "Select an Operating System" select "Microsoft PocketPC"
In "Select the Operating System Language" select "English" (English in my case)
Hit "Go"

Now look under "System and Configuration Utilities"
You should see:
Dell Axim X5 ROM Update for Pocket PC 2002, v.03050300EN, A00
File Date: 4/8/2003
Axim X5 ROM Update for Pocket PC 2002, Advanced and Basic model.

Its a 27MB file.

marlof
04-08-2003, 08:49 PM
It's updating my system. And yes, it requires a hard reset. Which is a sensible thing to do after a ROM update anyhow IMO.

NeoAxim
04-08-2003, 08:51 PM
The Hard reset will keep me from applying this update unless I hear feedback that it absolutely provides an enhanced PPC experience which I doubt it will.
If the most outwardly noticable thing is a better read on the backup battery its not worth a hard reset to me as I barely ever check the backup anyway.

kaps
04-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Can one restore a backup after installing the system upgrade or is it best to reinstall the apps?

Karl

Underwater Mike
04-08-2003, 08:55 PM
egads,

Thanks! Guess I just didn't go in the right way. Doh! :oops:

VanHlebar
04-08-2003, 08:56 PM
Well I downloaded it and was going to apply it when I got home this evening, but if it requires a hard reset, I think I will pass on this for now...

Why must it require a hard reset? Just curious..

-Eric

marlof
04-08-2003, 08:57 PM
I always install the apps again. It weeds out all the garbage you've collected with your previous install, and in most cases you end up with a speedier system. I think the updater told me to do an Activesync backup to begin with, so my guess is it should accept a restore 'though.

Duddy
04-08-2003, 09:00 PM
It says it will support C1 stepping which, in turn, means that the Axim will be optimized for PPC2K2:D

(If memory serves me weel that is and correct me if I'm wrong :lol: )

marlof
04-08-2003, 09:00 PM
Ok. I did it, it worked, and now I have ROM version A02 in my System Information. Now I have to go back and install all the apps again, set up the sync etc. Tomorrow. ;)

jk
04-08-2003, 09:11 PM
What does this mean exactly?

Improved navigation button applet

NeoAxim
04-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Like I said I just don't see much in the way of new features or fixes to justify a hard reset in order to install this.

I was wondering to what the improved naviagtion button applet means.

IronGeek
04-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Well, I upgraded to it. No hitches so far. What exactly does the c1 stepping do?

mc_03
04-08-2003, 10:05 PM
The C1 stepping is the processor the new Dells are shipping with. Apparently it is the same thing as PXA255.

Ironically, this would mean that the Dell Axims are the first PPCs "optomized" for Xscale!!! :lol: Does this mean they are giving true 400mhz performance? Has anyone seen speed increases?

Yet ANOTHER reason to get the Dell :p

TheWolfen
04-08-2003, 10:11 PM
My new Axim is sitting over in the FedEx office right now, so I'll be getting it on the way home! :D It will be interesting to see if it has the new ROM in it or not. If not, I guess this will be the perfect time to install it, since it requires a hard reset anyway. Oh boy, can't wait!!

Duddy
04-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Oh yeah!!!:D If this update enable C1 stepping, then that will increase the bus speed on the Axim:D I think the current bus speed is 100mhz :?

Yeah!!! :D :D The Axim has gone Super Saiyen 3 :D :D

James Fee
04-08-2003, 10:25 PM

This might be it?

http://members.cox.net/jamesf1/media/NavControl.jpg

Underwater Mike
04-08-2003, 10:29 PM
Well, I haven't seen any obvious speed increase, but I can report that ActiveStink (3.6) -- which was working flawlessly via both USB and WiFi -- now drops immediately after authenticating! :cry:

Any ideas?

JoelRC
04-08-2003, 10:33 PM
HELP!! I have now tried three times to install the update. Each time it hangs up while copying and eventually gives the following message:

"Copy incomplete! The system update procedure CANNOT proceed."

The Activesync connection seems to drop. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

IronGeek
04-08-2003, 10:35 PM
There does not seem to be any real speed increase.

in another thread Sslixtis posted these benchmarks for an Axim (which I assume had the old ROM)

CPU Benchmark-PXA250 X5
Interger arithmetic-5011
Heap management-8681
Floatingpoint Arithmetic-8403
Graphics Benchmark
GDI graphic routines 1-1641
GDI graphic routines 2-1350
GDI graphic routines 3-1639

My results after the new ROM are:

CPU Benchmark
Integer arithmetic 5077
Heap Management 8450
Floatingpoint arithmetic 8441

Graphics Benchmark
GDI graphic routines 1 2192
GDI graphic routines 2 1293
GDI graphic routines 3 2103

Lower is better as I understand it. I don't completely trust the bechmarking program, it looks to be written in VB.

Raynne
04-08-2003, 11:00 PM
Has anyone successfully done a restore through Active Sync after installing the upgrade?

Peter Traugot
04-08-2003, 11:05 PM
Wow. "Lower is better" wouldn't make much sense. However, the graphics routine numbers would make sense if you thought HIGHER was better. Those numbers I would expect from C1 stepping. That's the whole point. the 225 offers faster graphics calling due to the faster bus. :lurking:

gdaswani
04-08-2003, 11:06 PM
CPU Benchmark
Integer arithmetic 5077
Heap Management 8450
Floatingpoint arithmetic 8441

Graphics Benchmark
GDI graphic routines 1 2192
GDI graphic routines 2 1293
GDI graphic routines 3 2103

Hmmm, is the GDI speed increase attributed to the 200 FSB? Considering writes to screen and such are supposed to be faster on the PXA255(PXA250C1).

Janak Parekh
04-08-2003, 11:18 PM
Oh yeah!!!:D If this update enable C1 stepping, then that will increase the bus speed on the Axim:D I think the current bus speed is 100mhz :?
Actually, I don't think so -- bus speeds are typically implemented in hardware, not software.

Moreover, this ROM enables support for a new processor. A stepping is Intel's terminology for new hardware "versions" of a processor. You can't upgrade from one stepping to another via software.

And even so, I don't think the new PXA255-enabled Axims have a faster bus. I believe that would require a substantial hardware redesign, suitable for a new product.

--janak

Underwater Mike
04-08-2003, 11:19 PM
I got the restore to work but, as I said, not AS keeps dropping immediately after the authentication.

Has anyone successfully done a restore through Active Sync after installing the upgrade?

Sslixtis
04-08-2003, 11:21 PM
Wow. "Lower is better" wouldn't make much sense. However, the graphics routine numbers would make sense if you thought HIGHER was better.

It makes perfect sense when you realize that the numbers are milliseconds. Fast is better, so less time is better. :wink:

And yes the benchmarks posted were with the old ROM version so I'd like to see what difference the new ROM makes myself. Although, I'm not really willing to do a hard reset myself right now so if anyone wants to take the plunge and let me know... :werenotworthy:

The program used was Pocket PC Benchmark (http://www.ive-software.com/pocket-pc-benchmark.php3)

Cheers!

Duddy
04-08-2003, 11:23 PM
Actually, I don't think so -- bus speeds are typically implemented in hardware, not software.

Moreover, this ROM enables support for a new processor. A stepping is Intel's terminology for new hardware "versions" of a processor. You can't upgrade from one stepping to another via software.

And even so, I don't think the new PXA255-enabled Axims have a faster bus. I believe that would require a substantial hardware redesign, suitable for a new product.

--janak

Ed Hansberry
04-08-2003, 11:44 PM
Not sure you could until you reinstall the client to the Pocket PC.

jeffmd
04-09-2003, 12:41 AM
janak has said what most people seem to have missed. you cannot upgrade your cpu. this rom has SUPPORT for a new steping. this means a future version of dell will have the new cpu, not the current ones.

ppcsurfr
04-09-2003, 01:20 AM

--janak

There are both functional & errata fix differences between the PXA250 B1, B2 & C0 to PXA255 A0 (formerly referred to as PXA250 C1) steppings. The C0 stepping was provided as an engineering sample only. Although the PXA255 A0 is a new die (compared to the PXA250 B1, B2 & C0) it can function as a drop-in replacement, with the exception of the ID Register. Hardware changes to the system are required to take advantage of the new enhancements / features.
The PXA255 A0 provides the following new enhancements / features to previous releases: • Hardware Universal Asynchronous Receiver / Transmitter (HWUART) • Low Power SDRAM Mode Register Set Configuration Register • 400 Run Mode / 200 PxBus o Core Clock Configuration Register (CCCR) o Core Phase Locked Loop • UDC Control Function Register (UDCCFR) • NSSP

Carlo Ma. Guerrero
PinoyPocketPC
Mobile Computing for Filipinos

URL: http://www.pinoypocketpc.com
Mobile Phone: +63 (918) 9020700
Mobile Fax: +63 (918) 9320350
Email: [email protected]
--------------------------------------------
Choose the power of Windows.
Choose the Pocket PC.

QYV
04-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Improved start-up time

Please please please let this mean that the Axim now turns on instantly like my iPAQ did, rather than take 2 seconds (an eternity when someone is waiting for the information you're about to give them...).

TheWolfen
04-09-2003, 01:28 AM
Just FYI - got my new Axim and powered it up for the first time. I checked Sysinfo, and it not only has the A02 ROM, but it reports the CPU as a PXA255 400 MHz A0 stepping, rather than what I expected (PXA250 C1 stepping). Cool!! Makes me really wonder about the memory bus... I'll see if I can bench it and post the results here.

Has anyone else upgraded a C1 with the new ROM? If so - what does your Sysinfo say afterwards?

dh
04-09-2003, 02:10 AM
My Axim has the PXA250 C1 stepping and A00 ROM.
Since it is working perfectly, I'm somewhat afraid of upgrading to the new ROM version.
I wonder if it would make more sense to wait and upgrade to PPC2003 soon, assuming this is going to be possible.
What are you other Axim people going to do?

TheWolfen
04-09-2003, 02:11 AM
OK - here is the benchmark from my new unit, nothing installed, set to normal. And FYI - I've heard elsewhere that all C1's report as a PXA255 A0 after the ROM upgrade. Anyone still have the benchmarks from the Toshiba e750/755? I'm pretty sure these are a close match, if memory serves. Anyway..

Run 1:
Integer 1243
Float 181
Draw 375
Window 114
Memory 1070
Total 596

Run 2:
Integer 1247
Float 181
Draw 372
Window 115
Memory 1137
Total 610

Run 3:
Integer 1243
Float 181
Draw 376
Window 115
Memory 1080
Total 599

edramsey
04-09-2003, 02:19 AM
FWIW, the built-in backup program refused to restore without errors after the upgrade.

Regards,
Ed

dequardo
04-09-2003, 02:26 AM
My new Axim is sitting over in the FedEx office right now, so I'll be getting it on the way home! :D It will be interesting to see if it has the new ROM in it or not. If not, I guess this will be the perfect time to install it, since it requires a hard reset anyway. Oh boy, can't wait!!

You will not need to install it. Look closely at the smaller of the two boxes in the shipping box from Dell. It will have a label that will read....A02. You already have the newer ROM. The posted update will not be installable on a device with it already on. How do I know this? I got mine today also :-)

Enjoy, Mike

rudolph
04-09-2003, 02:31 AM
hmm.. is anyone else having trouble updating? Mine refuses to do so.

I connected with ActiveSync, ran the setup program pushed Next, Next, then it went to the "please wait... this may take up to 15 min..." screen and my PPC immediatly hard-reset. I was doubting it transferred 25mb to my PPC in 2 seconds, and checking System Info on my PPC confirmed that I still have the old ROM.

So I tried to set up a new partnership with my pc and tried the rom update again... same thing. I've tried a guest partnership too with the same result.

Any ideas? I think I'll have to call Dell.

Brad Adrian
04-09-2003, 02:43 AM
I haven't tried this update yet, but it sometimes helps to do a hard reset BEFORE you administer an update. That way, you're sure not to have any garbage that can interfere with the process. Did the people who are having trouble do a hard reset prior to updating?

rudolph
04-09-2003, 02:48 AM
Yep, I just tried that ... still no go. I thought it might be the stuff in my "Built-in Storage" so moved everything out of there, hard reset, then tried the update again, but nope.

Ed Hansberry
04-09-2003, 02:55 AM
FWIW, the built-in backup program refused to restore without errors after the upgrade.
Right. Never ever restore after a ROM upgrade. That would be like restoring a basic XP backup to an XP Service Pack 1 install. It will hose the system.

Hard reset to clear the remnenants of the restore attemp then begin to build your device again by reinstalling apps.

Bearjaw
04-09-2003, 03:06 AM
I backed up my data to my cf card, updated and mine is running fine. Restoring from a backup only rewrites what you have in the user accesable ROM so the system should not be compromised by restore. I have done this a few times with no problems. Actualy I have yet to find a good use for the usable ROM. Any suggestions.

guinness
04-09-2003, 03:27 AM
Updated fine and restored from the backup on my SD card, but AS refuses to sync (surprise, surprise). I'm going to uninstall/reinstall AS and see if that works.

Ed Hansberry
04-09-2003, 03:58 AM
Updated fine and restored from the backup on my SD card, but AS refuses to sync (surprise, surprise). I'm going to uninstall/reinstall AS and see if that works.
Try to hard reset first. I'd bet the restore has hosed your system since it was for another ROM version. It put back any RAM DLLs and your registry.

Foo Fighter
04-09-2003, 04:06 AM
Ok. I did it, it worked, and now I have ROM version A02 in my System Information.

Where are you seeing this? I looked in the About app and it only shows the Windows build (11178), but gives no info on what ROM version is installed.

QYV
04-09-2003, 04:06 AM

Try to hard reset first. I'd bet the restore has hosed your system since it was for another ROM version. It put back any RAM DLLs and your registry.

I restored mine from a ROM backup and I am indeed having troubles syncing. However, a soft reset will enable the partnership again; but then it won't sync the next time I cradle. Grrr...I hate retraining Calligrapher every time I upgrade!!

Sven Johannsen
04-09-2003, 04:40 AM
OK, another confirmation that restoring after the update causes Sync problems. I had a pretty vanilla AXIM, backed up to the CF with the Dell backup, updated and restored. Nothing but sync problems. As expected, but thought I'd check. All the apps and stuff seemed OK, just couldn't sync. Even deleting and re-establishing the partnership, no joy.

Did a hard reset and established a new partnership and all is well. So, save yourself the first headache, and just resign yourself to the second one of reinstalling from scratch. Or don't upgrade untill some more folks have done so and figured out what the big deal is.

I do like the center button control panel. There are some things that worked well with it being an 'enter' and others it got in the way. Nice to be able to turn it on and off. Not a feature I'd update for if this was my loaded primary machine.

crispeto
04-09-2003, 05:34 AM
So for those of you upgrading, is it worth all the trouble? Is it instant on or the usual 2 sec wait? Any other benefits? Thanks.

Marc Zimmermann
04-09-2003, 06:04 AM
Restoring from a backup only rewrites what you have in the user accesable ROM so the system should not be compromised by restore.
You also restore registry settings that may no longer be valid or have a different meaning in the new system. Just like upgrading Windows 98 over Windows 95 wasn't such a bright idea, ROM updates/upgrades should be installed clean in order to avoid any potential pitfalls.

Marc Zimmermann
04-09-2003, 06:06 AM
Wow. "Lower is better" wouldn't make much sense.

It makes perfect sense when you realize that the numbers are milliseconds. Fast is better, so less time is better. :wink:

Are you sure that it's milliseconds and not program cycles? Benchmarks frequently perform a task over and over in a fixed time and then a higher count indicates better performance.

marlof
04-09-2003, 06:10 AM
Ok. I did it, it worked, and now I have ROM version A02 in my System Information.

Where are you seeing this? I looked in the About app and it only shows the Windows build (11178), but gives no info on what ROM version is installed.

The SysInfo information shows this. But I didn't find anything on the processor type other than Intel Xscale 400 MHz. The PXA250 shows in the about screen.

hgwte
04-09-2003, 06:21 AM
I update my Dell with the new ROM update and didn't have any problems. The first thing I did was Backup my PPC to my harddrive which took about an hour or so. Once that was done I started the ROM update and this process took a long time also. Once completed I did the "Restore" and this takes awhile also. But when it was completed my PPC was exactly like I had it before the new ROM update. I checked the "System Information" and I have the new ROM update. I did have to re-do my partnership. Once I get to work I will probably have to set up a new partnership also.

QYV
04-09-2003, 07:09 AM
So for those of you upgrading, is it worth all the trouble? Is it instant on or the usual 2 sec wait? Any other benefits?

I was looking for this specifically, and it is definitely faster - a little less than one second now. Seems a little slower than my iPAQ was, but quite a bit better than the 2 second wait.

My backup battery doesn't show at 90% anymore, and the Dpad fix is now part of the ROM and selectable as a Settings option. Beyond that, I haven't noticed anything else. Performance seems a little snappier, but I'm sure that's just the result of a hard reset, since I definitely don't have a 255/C1 processor. :cry:

ethancaine
04-09-2003, 08:17 AM
I know this has been covered, so please save the critisism, but I cannot find it. Where do you find the stepping?

dequardo
04-09-2003, 12:23 PM

Foo,
Open up 'sysinfo' via Pocket Word to see details.

Mike
love your avatar :lol:

tccox
04-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Well , the update hosed my Axim. Now only get Dell blue screen, nothing else. A hard reset gets memory error message and then Blue screen. I ran the update software but for some reason my Axim powered off in middle of update (And yes it was hooked up to AC) :( Dell's sending me a new one but still, what a pain

vetteguy
04-09-2003, 01:38 PM
So, is the consensus here that this update is not worth it right now due to the sync/misc. problems? Perhaps we should just wait until they provide an update to the update?

Underwater Mike
04-09-2003, 01:48 PM
You know, I was used to reinstalling everything after updating my iPAQ. I think that Dell should've recommended that rather han restoring from a backup. Seems like the majority of comments indicate problems using Dell's method.

OK, another confirmation that restoring after the update causes Sync problems.

vetteguy
04-09-2003, 01:55 PM
You know, I was used to reinstalling everything after updating my iPAQ. I think that Dell should've recommended that rather han restoring from a backup. Seems like the majority of comments indicate problems using Dell's method.

OK, another confirmation that restoring after the update causes Sync problems.
I thought the problems were independent of whether someone did a restore or not...I scanned through all of the messages and it looked like the sync problem seemed to affect people regardless of whether they backed up and restored or did a clean install. Am I wrong? I don't have a problem with a clean install, but ActiveSync is flaky enough as it is without me installing something which will complicate it even further.

IntegraPrelude98
04-09-2003, 02:05 PM
I installed the new ROM and did a restore afterward...it actually took my a couple tires on the restore before active sync would let me, but I have not experienced any problems since then with active sync or my axim in general. Maybe I just got lucky, who knows. :mrgreen:

pjtrader
04-09-2003, 02:42 PM
It's not supposed to be this hard to find the ROM upgrade is it? Or did it disappear from Dell's support pages? The only OS download I could find is A00. I'm usually pretty good at following directions to these things, but I simply can't see what you guys found this morning. Am I going nuts? Wait, don't answer the last question. :silly: Can someone provide me the download page link?

Thanks,
Pam

vetteguy
04-09-2003, 02:48 PM
It's not supposed to be this hard to find the ROM upgrade is it? Or did it disappear from Dell's support pages? The only OS download I could find is A00. I'm usually pretty good at following directions to these things, but I simply can't see what you guys found this morning. Am I going nuts? Wait, don't answer the last question. :silly: Can someone provide me the download page link?

Thanks,
Pam
Click on the link for the ROM upgrade...for some reason it says "A00" but when you click on it it says "will update from A00 to A02" or something like that.

Duddy
04-09-2003, 03:36 PM
Well, I just installed the update and have had no problems syncing or restoring. I did a hard reset before started the upgrade:D

heyday
04-09-2003, 03:37 PM
I love to see people rush and and install new ROM upgrades.....

Allows me to wait a few months for the bugs to be worked out before I do it....

Also saves me from HOSING my AXIM like many of you have. :D

No offense to you if you hosed your AXIM.....

:mrgreen:

dh
04-09-2003, 04:26 PM
Well, I just had to go ahead and do it.

I did a hard reset before starting and everything seemed to go OK.

After the upgrade my sysinfo file does now admit that the processor is indeed the PXA255 A0 Stepping, so that is cool.

I did have to make a new partnership to get ActiveSync to work. I also upgraded to AS 3.6 at the same time.

My Axim does start up with NO delay now which is nice.

As suggested on her, it's a good idea to ignore Dell's suggestion of restoring from a backup. I just reinstalled my applications.

All in all, it's another example of good service from Dell. This makes me even more sure that Dell will provide customers with an upgrade to PPC2003 when it's available.

shawnc
04-09-2003, 05:15 PM

What is the purpose of this post???? To make fun of the people who took the initative to install this patch and are willing to post their experience for the benefit of the rest of us?

To those who have installed the update and have posted their experience for the benefit of the community, rest assured that MOST of us appreciate the effort.

Geez!

ethancaine
04-09-2003, 05:22 PM
I hate to ask again, but where is the stepping listed?

chuckers
04-09-2003, 05:23 PM
i have installed the rom upgrade, and i was able to restore from a cf card perfectly. But, given the chance to have a clean start i hard reset after i backed up some documents i needed. Seems to be running without a hitch now.

dh
04-09-2003, 05:27 PM
I hate to ask again, but where is the stepping listed?

Click on START then FIND. Search for a file called sysinfo. Open the file when find has found it and you will see the processor type listed. If you have the new processor it will be listed as PXA250 Stepping C1. After the upgrade it changes to PXA255 Stepping A0.

If everyone took your approach, there would never be any progress and no bugs would be discovered so they can be fixed. I followed the advice given by people here who upgraded first and my Axim is better than ever after the upgrade.

ethancaine
04-09-2003, 05:30 PM
Okay, thank you... But Damn the B2 stepping, eh?

PetiteFlower
04-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Ok I'm fine with reinstalling my apps after installing the upgrade rather then restoring from backup. But is it ok to just back up and restore my calender/contacts info? I don't sync those because it caused too many annoyances and I do NOT want to have to re enter everything manually!

Maybe I can just delete everything that's in Outlook now, then sync once, then do the hard reset, sync again, then turn off the syncing. I'm just afraid that if I delete my address book in Outlook then it will affect the address book in OE(my main email program, I don't use Outlook at all).

Any ideas/suggestions?

shawnc
04-09-2003, 05:57 PM
Ok I'm fine with reinstalling my apps after installing the upgrade rather then restoring from backup. But is it ok to just back up and restore my calender/contacts info? I don't sync those because it caused too many annoyances and I do NOT want to have to re enter everything manually!

Maybe I can just delete everything that's in Outlook now, then sync once, then do the hard reset, sync again, then turn off the syncing. I'm just afraid that if I delete my address book in Outlook then it will affect the address book in OE(my main email program, I don't use Outlook at all).

Any ideas/suggestions?

I'm kind of in the same boat. I think what I'm going to do (based on what I have read so far) is to use the Axim backup utility option that only backs-up the PIM information. Reinstall my apps, then try to restore only the PIM info. Oh yeah, I'll also be holding my breath and crossing my fingers.

dlopan
04-09-2003, 05:59 PM
I installed the upgrade to the rom. I used Pocket Backup to restore everything just fine. The Dell Backup utility is crap. I tried to restore once before and it couldn't do it.

Kevin C. Tofel
04-09-2003, 06:00 PM
After reading through all the informative posts (thanks, by the way!), I took the plunge, which for me was relatively painless.

Over USB, the upgrade took about 10-12 minutes. The unit reset itself as part of the process and appeared "like new, out of the box", i.e.: tap screen to start....align screen...etc....

Although I have no empirical test results, the unit:

Appears to be more responsive \ faster
Turns on more quickly
Enables the D-Pad as an "Enter" button

I will be one of those that just reinstalls apps...I did not go the backup\restore route. This may be affecting the Axim's quick performance as I have less RAM currently in use.

Also of note: this fixed an AS problem that I reported here about a month ago. Inbox items would not be removed from my Axim until they were removed from BOTH my Outlook Inbox and Deleted Items. I assume this was a Dell specific problem (not AS) because on the same system, I did not have this issue with my Compaq.

For folks looking for their ROM version, go to Start, Settings, System Info. My ROM Version is now listed as A02 (03050300EN).

Thanks!
KCT
:D

PetiteFlower
04-09-2003, 06:43 PM
I do not even SLIGHTLY trust the Dell backup utility. Is there a way to use Activesync to backup/restore ONLY the PIM info? I don't have it in front of me so I can't check.

PapaSmurfDan
04-09-2003, 06:57 PM
Ok, With all of the stuff the installer logs to make a program uninstall, why don't we have a backup program that has an "upgrade rom" backup mode. What kills me is a few days ago my Axim hard reset it self when I took my wifi card out, after getting it reinstalled again this comes out :\ . At least it was a rather painless update. At least this time I remembered to deactivate Audible before doing the hard reset.

Does anyone know if PPC's have an boot area of rom that doens't get wiped out during these updates to allow you to reflash in the case of a screwup? My HP49 Calculator has one and I did have a rom update go bad and it saved me from calling HP.

-Dan

surfgeek
04-09-2003, 07:29 PM
Before I did the update, I backed up my info to my SD card and did a backup using active sync. After applying the update, I restored from the SD card. At this point my system would not sync. 8O

I then did a hard reset and restored the backup using activesync and a guest partnership. Now I can sync reliably again. :mrgreen:

Jonathon Watkins
04-09-2003, 10:04 PM

This might be it?

http://members.cox.net/jamesf1/media/NavControl.jpg

Indeed, thanks for that and welcome. :D 8)

Jonathon Watkins
04-09-2003, 10:24 PM

What is the purpose of this post???? To make fun of the people who took the initative to install this patch and are willing to post their experience for the benefit of the rest of us?

To those who have installed the update and have posted their experience for the benefit of the community, rest assured that MOST of us appreciate the effort.

Geez!

Agreed, the bleeding edge is where it's at! :mrgreen: PLEASE Heyday don't mock those who are there. We all appreciate hearing from those willing to try something new. :!: 8)

shawnc
04-10-2003, 02:35 AM
I do not even SLIGHTLY trust the Dell backup utility. Is there a way to use Activesync to backup/restore ONLY the PIM info? I don't have it in front of me so I can't check.

This worked PERFECTLY for me. Had no trouble restoring PIM info and reestablishing connection with activesync. Once I restored what had been backed-up, it even gave me back my channels from avant-go.

Thanx again to all who took the plunge and worked out the kinks. No way I would have felt confident enough to try this without your help.

KiLLiN-TiMe
04-10-2003, 05:26 AM
Mine went fine...
Someone wrote a post and i cant find it now, but the key is this.

1. before you run the update do a complete backup using activesync (click tools, backup/restore, click the box for full backup and then click backup now.) not the built in one.

2. install the update and make sure your pocket pc will not shut off in the middle of the process. ie...no auto off!!!

3. reconnect PPC after you have finnished with the upgrade and screen alignment and when activesync asks you to create a partnership... choose "Guest"

4. restore (in activesync click tools then backup/restore. click the restore tab and click restore now. youll get an option to choose which restore if you have more than one in there.).

5. when restore is done... soft reset and reconnect.

6. activesync will ask you weather you want to combine items or replace them. I always choose replace with what is on my desktop (gotten doubles too many times)

As i said before ... someone else came up with this and i cant find their post to give credit where credit is due.
But it worked like a charm for me too. :D

Jason Dunn
04-10-2003, 01:27 PM

All PIM info will be restored when you sync your device with Outlook. :D I always do a hard reset before a ROM upgrade, then another hard reset after it - the few minutes of time you'll save by trying to backup/restore just isn't worth the pain of a hosed device. Besides, you'll love how fast your Pocket PC is again. :mrgreen:

Bob S
04-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Mine went fine...
Someone wrote a post and i cant find it now, but the key is this.

1. before you run the update do a complete backup using activesync (click tools, backup/restore, click the box for full backup and then click backup now.) not the built in one.

2. install the update and make sure your pocket pc will not shut off in the middle of the process. ie...no auto off!!!

3. reconnect PPC after you have finnished with the upgrade and screen alignment and when activesync asks you to create a partnership... choose "Guest"

4. restore (in activesync click tools then backup/restore. click the restore tab and click restore now. youll get an option to choose which restore if you have more than one in there.).

5. when restore is done... soft reset and reconnect.

6. activesync will ask you weather you want to combine items or replace them. I always choose replace with what is on my desktop (gotten doubles too many times)

As i said before ... someone else came up with this and i cant find their post to give credit where credit is due.
But it worked like a charm for me too. :D

I followed this process and was successfull

PetiteFlower
04-11-2003, 12:34 AM
Ok, I dl'd a copy of Pocket Backup(yay free trial!) to back up my PIM info to my SD card. Then I did the hard reset, upgrade, hard reset. Created a new partnership, reinstalled Pocket Backup, restored the PIM data, and reinstalled everything else. It worked flawlessly(aside from being somewhat time consuming!) and I have a good 4-5 megs free now that weren't before :) I had been thinking about a rebuild anyway so the ROM upgrade was just an excuse to do it finally.

You know, I'd never noticed the turn-on delay until you guys pointed it out just now, but once I noticed it it was bugging me--and it IS much faster now!