View Full Version : Tom Tom Navigator 2

Oliver T
04-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Well, my upgrade to Navigator 2 just arrived and I have to give you my first few impressions:
- the registration process is plainly ridiculous ! You have to go to Tom Tom's website, enter the number of the CD cover, then enter the number that navigator creates on your device and then you get an activation code which you have to enter on your Pocket PC. Let's only hope that I don't have to go through this process every reset ...
- installed everything, voice commands, map, application. Then I went into preferences and set my home address. Nothing happening for about five minutes. Hmmm, o.k. soft-reset. This reminds me of the first version of Navigator when it just came out - not very stable. Here comes the joke: instead of the soft-reset that I got used to I get a blim-blim. Oh no, it did a hard reset ;-((( Well, good that I have an automatic backup every night. I wonder what will happen after my restore. I hope I don't have to go through the activation again. You guessed it - activation again ;-((( Let's hope it doesn't crash a second time on me.

Oliver

Oliver T
04-08-2003, 05:26 PM
Hmpf, re-installed everything. It looks like it's working now. The app behaves EXACTLY like the first build of Navigator 1. Crashing in exactly the same places and leaving the GPS driver in the lower task bar. Exactly the same behaviour. I'm a bit disappointet to say the least. I would have expected it to be as reliable as the last build of Navigator 1 but there you go.

Duncan
04-08-2003, 06:34 PM
I agree the registration process is ridiculous - but as regards your hard reset and crashing problems... I haven't had a single thing go wrong! I've run it through a stack of tests and given it every opportunity to go wrong but not a single blip! Love the changes in software!

Perhaps an issue with your model of PPC? I assume you've contacted TomTom - in which it will be interesting to see what they say...

What does irritate me is that some places/roads that were missing/wrong in Navigator 1 are still that way in version 2. OK - this is an issue with ALL GPS software - but that doesn't make it acceptable... :(

Oliver T
04-09-2003, 09:04 AM
Finally tried it last night in real-life. The 3D view is absolutely amazing ! This makes up for the problems I had installing it ;-) I did not expect it to make such a difference. With this 3D birdseye view you really have to be blind to miss a turn or exit ;-)

Oliver T
04-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Hmm, two more observations:
- the volume for the voice announcements is still changing the system volume, which results in a change in volume of my MP3 playback when I change the volume in navigator.
- what is the TomTomNavigator.axs in MyDocuments for ? Anyone ?