View Full Version : How much is 'too expensive'?

Tim Allen
04-08-2003, 01:13 PM
When it comes to buying Pocket PC software, I have a personal limit of $20 for an application. I won't pay more than this unless it's something really special - and I mean really special. And most software does now come in at or under this, but there are still quite a few around the $30 or even $40 mark.

TopDog
04-08-2003, 01:27 PM
I bought Rayman Utlimate at $29.90 when it first came out... but I thought a lot about it before I did... and I don't think I will do it again for a game, maybe if a killer app showes up.

It has to be very useful to be worth more than $20.

Janak Parekh
04-08-2003, 01:55 PM
How about "will spend >= $40, but reluctantly"? I avoid it, but if there is a niche app that will help me be more productive and pay off in the long run, then I will. It's not like "money is no object", though.

--janak

nice_micael
04-08-2003, 02:09 PM
It depends from time to time but i have not bught eany thing over 30$ and don't think i will!!! 0X

shawnc
04-08-2003, 02:15 PM
I agree with Janak. I don't WANT to spend over $20, but will if the app is right. But for the most part, my limit is $20. One exception MAY be a certain word processing software package that I could really use. Just relunctant to spend what they are asking.

Steven Cedrone
04-08-2003, 02:18 PM
When my employer was paying for the software, money was no object. :wink: Now, I find myself debating any purchase I make (hardware and software) - I still buy, but now I really have to have a need for it (Although I would still buy before ever using "cracked" software)...

Steve

Pony99CA
04-08-2003, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't spend more than $20, either, unless the application was very special. That's why I don't understand those Handmark (http://www.handmark.com) versions of Monopoly and Scrabble being prciced at $30. I think Staples or Office Depot was selling Handmark programs on a 2-for-1 deal, and that might be worth it.

Steve

rhmorrison
04-08-2003, 03:07 PM
I usually only buy good deals (for example I purchased Snails for ONLY $ 4.95) and in many cases you can find something that does want you want that is absolutly FREE.

I couldn't find any really good Chess program that was free so I purchased Chess Genius (v1.4 Just released) for $ 25.00. The second best choice was Fritz 2 and it costs $ 50!

Look for FREEWARE first and then decide if it's worth the money...

PetiteFlower
04-08-2003, 04:43 PM
I'd pay up to $40 for a really good, useful app that I'd find indispensable, but not more then $10 or maybe $15 for something just for fun. No way would I pay more then $40 for software--if it's that expensive, it's probably more then I need! Most of my needs can be taken care of with freeware anyway, and I don't have a lot of extra cash for software lying around at the moment--I'd rather spend my next free $30 on a case then on software!

SofaTater
04-08-2003, 05:20 PM
I guess I feel the same as most - I will pay $$$ for something that I would use every day, but not for "fluff". I paid over $50 for my suite of Laridian Bible software, and I think it's well worth it. But I have yet to actually pay for any games or entertainment-related software.

Jacob
04-08-2003, 08:25 PM
Really depends on the app.

I am not sure if I'd pay > $20 for a game, but I'd easily pay that much for an application that saves me time and helps me be more organized.

PocketInformant is around $25 and I think it was more than worth it. PocketBackup is either $20 or $30 depending on the features you need/want and I don't think either is really unreasonable for what you get.

Hyperluminal
04-08-2003, 11:04 PM
I generally won't pay more than about $25. However, I do make exceptions, like Calligrapher, which I got for $40.

dh
04-09-2003, 01:18 AM
How much to pay for software is a very good question.
The way I see it is that some apps are pretty much "must haves" if you want to get the best out of your PPC. These are not as price sensitive as "like to have" apps like games.
Of the "must haves" I thought it worthwhile to invest in Pocket Informant, @mail and Repligo. I'm still using a trial of Textmaker and will probably buy it. Although it is a great product, I do think it is too expensive. It's the only game in town so has to be a "must have".
Of the "like to haves" I've tried both Monopoly and Scrabble and enjoyed them, but I just don't see me buying either at $30.00 each.
I guess in general, I would not want to pay more than $15 -20.00 for a "like to have" app.

WyattEarp
04-09-2003, 01:21 AM
Haven't paid more than $20.00 for any app or game and I don't intend to start. Except for my Vindigo subscription.

Too many apps (mainly productivity apps) IMHO seem to be combined functions/apps that are already built-in to the PPC with extra fluff. Probably to use to using spreadsheets for large databases. But a truely intuitive and creative may tempt me.

PapaSmurfDan
04-09-2003, 02:31 AM
Generally, I will not buy anything becuase I fell that most PPC software is way overpriced. However, when I got the TextMaker for $35 deal on my lap, I lept on it. So far, the only games I would concider buying are Fade, CounterSheep, and Snails. Luckly, PocketNester and some old NES games that I havn't played have kept me occupied :)

For PPC apps, $5-15 is reasonable. Anything at or over 15 better be damned good. I will probally buy PocketInformant when they have a sale, I do feel 25 is a bit steep for what it does. At 15 bucks I would have no issues buying it. Textmaker at 35 is the perfect price for that program, 50 is too high.

My issue is, most of the apps that I see for sale are not polished enough to buy. To top things off, I think it is an insult to toss a EVB app that anyone with half a brain can code and sell it for a high price. But, I have survived on freeware software for the PPC :)

-Dan

SnAPPUrU-nyan-ko
04-09-2003, 02:53 AM
Nothing but freeware =._.=

hollis_f
04-09-2003, 07:52 AM
It all depends on the application. I'd pay over $100 if I could get ISIS/Draw (chemically aware structure drawing package) on my PPC. Or $40 for a good bridge program. But I wouldn't pay anything for a chess prog ('cause they all beat me).

rhmorrison
04-09-2003, 08:46 AM
...then WHY do you want a GOOD Bridge program? :multi:

hollis_f
04-09-2003, 12:11 PM
...then WHY do you want a GOOD Bridge program? :multi:Because I've not found one that can play up to a reasonable level and has a good interface.