View Full Version : Oh, It's JAIV!

Brad Adrian
04-08-2003, 09:00 AM
I got a new digital camera the other day, the very pocketable <a href="http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/PDF/index3100.htm">Nikon Coolpix 3100</a>, and was surprised to see that during the PC software installation process, it included the option of installing a photo viewer application on my Pocket PC, too. I was soon eagerly tapping on the new icon labeled "PhotoBase," but was disappointed once I realized that it's a JAIV -- <b>J</b>ust <b>A</b>nother <b>I</b>mage <b>V</b>iewer.<br /><br />I was hoping for so much more, because even though I like to view and share my pics on my Pocket PC, I'm frustrated by the time it takes to edit their format and layout. I know I can just throw my digital snaps onto my Pocket PC "raw," but even the best of them needs at least some cropping in order to fit the 240X320 screen dimensions.<br /><br />If <b>I</b> were designing an application for preparing and sharing digital photos on the Pocket PC, here are the new features I'd build into it...<!><br /><br />• A cropping view with a mask or rectangle matching the 240X320 aspect ratio. I should be able to drag the mask to the most important part of the picture, enlarging or reducing the mask as needed. Then, hitting &lt;ENTER> should resize the image to fit the Pocket PC screen perfectly.<br />• Color shift presets for quickly adjusting images taken under different lighting conditions. For example, an "Incandescent Adjust" feature would add subtle blue hues, compensating for the overly-warm color of incandescent lighting. <br />• Quick color balance setting. Microsoft's <i>Picture It!</i> software has this, and I love it. Using an eye-dropper selector, you simply click on any part of the image that is supposed to be pure white. The rest of the image is correspondingly corrected.<br />• Easy slide show creation, using a playlist-like model. That way, you could create several different slide shows using many of the same images. It should also allow easy re-ordering of slides.<br />• Infrared sharing of slide shows between Pocket PCs. 'Nuff said.<br /><br />That's my top-of-mind list. What features would YOU add?

R K
04-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Have you tried PQview?
Version 2.0 used to be free but I think 3.0 is only trialware.
Anyway, I can really say that it's not just-another-image-viewer.
THe latest version even plays MJPEG AVI files at full framerate, I think.

antoni
04-08-2003, 09:47 AM
I have the CoolPix 5700 and it did not ask if I wished to install any Pocket PC application! 8O

kzemach
04-08-2003, 10:03 AM
Well, if money is no object (I know, we all wish), and you want the best of breed image manipulation solution, then PocketPhojo from www.idruna.com is for you. But that's the only one I've followed.

KiLLiN-TiMe
04-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Incase you dont know... if you have Windows XP you can download the "imageresizerpowertoy".
It basically lets you right click on a picture (or highlight a group of pictures and right click) and you get a new option to "resize the picture" and one of the options is "Handheld PC 320 x 240". You can also pick a custom size.
It really works very slick.
Check it out ...
Click here to see the Powertoys for XP (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=afa135c8-8b63-4c03-8986-d7f45a6aa1fa&DisplayLang=en)
P.S. ...this one is free 8)

spursdude
04-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Incase you dont know... if you have Windows XP you can download the "imageresizerpowertoy".
It basicly lets you right click on a picture (or highlight a group of pictures and right click) and you get a new option to "resize the picture" and one of the options is "Handheld PC 320 x 240". You can also pick a custom size.
It really works very slick.
Check it out ...
Click here to see the Powertoys for XP (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=afa135c8-8b63-4c03-8986-d7f45a6aa1fa&DisplayLang=en)
P.S. ...this one is free 8)
Ah yes, I love that one. :D

bbarker
04-09-2003, 08:39 AM
I got a new digital camera the other day, the very pocketable Nikon Coolpix 3100 (http://www.nikon-image.com/eng/PDF/index3100.htm)...
It looks like a nice camera.

Question: On the Nikon Web site it says the camera has "Effective pixels 3.2 million (total pixels: 3.34 million)." In a couple of places it talks about "effective pixels." What are effective pixels? Does it mean it doesn't really have that many or what?