View Full Version : Thoughts on the upcoming H2200

Andy Whiteford
04-07-2003, 12:14 PM
Okay, I have been playing around with the h1910 and I'm seriously considering using this as my main device to replace my Jornada 565. I have an Axim X5 for the times when I need more functionality so going for the limited h1910 is a viable option for me as it's the screen and form factor that put it ahead of the Jornada.
The main concern I have is the new H2200 device. I know form factor is similar to the h1910 but with a rumoured flip cover, I won't need a case for it so for carrying around, it will possibly be smaller (although heavier) than the h1910 for which I would get a need to get a case.

So what do I do. Based on what I have read, holding out for PPC2003 is not any kind of factor for me however if I do decide to hold off for a while, the h1910 will eventually sport the new PXA255 processor, the same as the h2200.

Too many considerations so do I be sensible and hold off or do I just make the change now? Some more info on the h2200 would be great however I'm the kind of person where technology is concerned that will just go for something that meets my needs instead of holding off since there are always new announcements in technology on a regular basis!.

Shadowcat
04-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Isn't the size of the Jornada about the same or even larger than the Axim?

I find it interesting that you're not holding out for PPC2003. Is it because the features aren't that appealing? Or is it you believe that current devices will be upgradable? Or perhaps you believe you'd have to wait too long?

What makes you think the H1910 will eventually sport the new PXA255? Of all the current PXA250 devices only the Dell supposedly has the new processor, but that seems to be nothing more than a rumour. I have asked a couple of times wether it is true but I didn't get answers. I personally worry that HP will just stop producing the 3900 series and introduce a new series with the PXA255. It appears to me that HP Canada is trying very hard to rid itself of its 3900s. It offered $50 and $100 off of the 3950 and 3970 respectively for the month of February (free shipping as well). Then it extended the offer to the end of March. Now it is April and in addition to the discounts, they are offering a 64MB SD card for $74, which is $75 off of the price normally listed on HP's website. I know that you can get them much cheaper elsewhere but an uninformed buyer may not know this. They say the offer ends on April 30, but I seriously doubt this considering how long they've had this promotion already.

I don't know. I bought my H3630 half a month before they announced PPC2002 so I'm still a bit sour. If I'm holding out with a H3630 I can't see why you can't hold out with both a Jornada and a Dell. I have to admit that I'm basing all of this on a lot of assumptions. :)

Just my 2 cents.

Andy Whiteford
04-07-2003, 02:38 PM
Overall, the Jornada is slightly smaller than the Axim but not by much. I don't need a case with the Jornada though which makes it smaller when carrying around.

Re: PPC2003, I have read that there isn't much new being introduced, mostly bug fixes and minor changes. While I will happily take this, PPC2002 performs well enough for me. I would be more interested in a newer OS if there were more important changes but the changes I have read about do not warrant being the sole reason to hold off in my opinion.

As long as the h1910 is still produced, it will have to move onto PXA255 now that the 250 is discontinued. When this happens depends on the current stock levels of the 250 although its true that HP may stop making the h1910 before these chips are exhausted although I seriously doubt this would be the case.

I'm still hoping to read more about the h2200, mainly final form factor, flip cover and price. Otherwise, the current details suit me i.e. small size, dual slots. Bluetooth is nice but not a deal breaker for my personal needs.

delfuhd
04-07-2003, 02:50 PM
I was very interested in getting an h1910, but never got the chance, and I'm quite interested in the new h2200. It seems like the perfect ppc, nice processor, newest OS, sdio/cf slots, and a nice size. So hopefully it isn't too expensive, my budget has gotten tight lately, and I might have to sell a couple of my accessories because I have too much.. But anyway, I'm looking forward and have good hopes for the h2200, and I think it's worth the wait. And since it doesn't have integrated WiFi, and there's a model without Bluetooth, it seems like there won't be too many problems like the h5400 series. So that's my thoughts.

Andy Whiteford
04-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Well the biggest draw of the h1910 for me is its form factor, it's tiny. If this had an integrated cover, yes I know I am big on them, it would have been superb for a day to day device.
The draw of the h2200 is a device almost the same size but with dual slots and possibly a flip cover which for me negates the need for a case. BT as I mentioned earlier I can take or leave but would probably go for the BT enabled version if I had the choice. What will determine my decision is if the h2200 stays the size that has been reported.

delfuhd
04-07-2003, 05:17 PM
Yes, an integrated flip cover such as the one on the Sharp Zaurus would be admirable, and the defining factor for whether I get the h2200 or not will be the price. I use a 3800/3900 now, and I have ot have an expansion pack on there most of the time, so pretty much any other ppc with a cf/sd slot would be better for me, and I can imagine the h2200 won't be bigger than a 3XXX series w/ an expansion pack on it.

LorryDriver71
04-07-2003, 06:11 PM
Will it have a 3.8 inch screen?? And do you think it will cost under $400??

Andy Whiteford
04-07-2003, 09:15 PM
From the dimensions I have seen, I assume it will come with a 3.5" screen.

delfuhd
04-07-2003, 10:29 PM
it probably will have a 3.5 screen, though who knows, it may come with a 3.8 screen, and from the rumors going around, it's a cross between the h1910 and the h5400, and it's supposed to be just under 400, which probably means $399 or so. Still not bad, I guess. We'll just have to wait and see..

Jacob
04-07-2003, 10:33 PM
Costwise, I'd say it most likely would be two tier. Less (of course) for the model without bluetooth (if there is one).

If it is only one model and assuming that it's not replacing the 1910 then it would have to be > $300 (at least $400 )

Shaun Stuart
04-08-2003, 01:38 PM
I like the idea if the 2200

When is the 2200 due to be released ?
What I we expecting to be in the Pocket PC 2003 OS ?

LorryDriver71
04-08-2003, 04:41 PM
They are two things i want to know also.

spursdude
04-09-2003, 12:11 AM
What I we expecting to be in the Pocket PC 2003 OS ?
This is like the question of the quarter-year... basically nothing is known yet. Some have speculated and/or made "educated guesses" that there's not going to be too many major changes, more like a bug fix.

One rumor is built-in support for landscape mode. That's all I've heard.