View Full Version : Which version to download?

ralliart12
04-07-2003, 06:42 AM
When I wanna download some software for PPCs, there's often 3 versions: ARM; MIPS; SH3.

Which one's meant for iPaqs?

Furthermore, what are 'Device CAB files'? & what difference is there between ...what if the download link provides BOTH .cab & .exe(/.zip) files? Which should I use then? & why?

TopDog
04-07-2003, 07:43 AM
Software developed for CE is compiled for each CPU...

ARM stands for Strong ARM CPU's and Xscale CPU's. (this is your choice for the iPAQ)
MIPS is typically old Casio E-115, E125, etc.
Sh3 is typically the old Jornada 545, 548, 525, etc.The .CAB-files is to be copied directy to your device and then installed there. If there is an *.exe file, that often is an installer that installs propper .CAB-files on your device via ActiveSync.

ralliart12
04-07-2003, 08:37 AM
...The .CAB-files is to be copied directy to your device and then installed there. If there is an *.exe file, that often is an installer that installs propper .CAB-files on your device via ActiveSync.

So u're advising me to always use the .exe version whenever possible?

TopDog
04-07-2003, 01:44 PM
Jupp, because then you can choose to install the apps on a storage card :-)

Janak Parekh
04-07-2003, 01:46 PM
There's no one "right" answer. However, .exe's are generally easier to install when your Pocket PC is cradled -- just double-click on the desktop PC and go. .cab's are much more useful when you're not ActiveSync'ed to your desktop.

--janak

mscdex
04-07-2003, 02:59 PM
When I wanna download some software for PPCs, there's often 3 versions: ARM; MIPS; SH3.

Which one's meant for iPaqs?

All iPaqs (so far) use ARM-based processors, so you would want to download the ARM versions of any software.

Weyoun6
04-07-2003, 04:24 PM
cab's are more useful when you are going wireless or dont want to install a program right away. Sometimes I store important programs in cab in my safestore in case my device crashes.