View Full Version : Alternative to MS Reader for .lit files?

rssrfrssr
04-07-2003, 02:32 AM
Personally, I cannot stand using MS Reader. It's a memory hogging beast just to read a book. It doesn't use the entire screen and the font is too big (lack of options). Not to mention nearly 60 seconds to open a book back to the last page where I left off (no exaggeration here, either!). Problem is the book I have only exists in a .lit file and I would much rather use PalmReader (what a book reader should be on the PocketPC, imo), but I can't convert the .lit file to a .pdb file (thx MS :? ).

Any suggestions for other readers to read a .lit file?

Thx!

targetdrone
04-07-2003, 09:28 AM
Personally, I cannot stand using MS Reader.

After trying Mobi, ubook, and adobe, I have found that I prefer MS Reader.

It's a memory hogging beast just to read a book. It doesn't use the entire screen and the font is too big (lack of options). Not to mention nearly 60 seconds to open a book back to the last page where I left off (no exaggeration here, either!).

I just did a test. 61 seconds from Today screen, opening Reader, selecting book, and going to furthest page read. If you don't close the application, it will be there without delay when you reopen it.

Problem is the book I have only exists in a .lit file and I would much rather use PalmReader (what a book reader should be on the PocketPC, imo), but I can't convert the .lit file to a .pdb file (thx MS :? ).

Do a Google search for 'conversion lit program jackson'. There is a program that will allow you to convert it to a doc or txt file (I forget which one) so that you may read it with something other than Reader.

I find that .lit files tend to be about 2/3 the size of a .rtf, .doc, or .pdf file. Plus I get the advantage of ClearType. To each his own.

-targetdrone

rssrfrssr
04-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Thanks! Worked great, with a little reformatting and further conversion from TXT to PDB I'm able to read the book on PalmReader.
:D