View Full Version : Creating a new Activesync partnership through ethernet?

timS
04-05-2003, 11:18 PM
OK, here is the deal. I've got a new Dell X5 with a wireless CF card that allows me access at home and at work. I have an activesync partnership setup at home using the USB cradle provided by Dell. I can now sync wirelessly at home with my 802.11b CF card, without using the cradle. I want to do the same thing at work, but all of our PCs are still running Windows NT. NT does not support the USB ports on my PC and I do not have RF on my PC at work. I do however have 80211.b access at my work and can easily get on the network. I am looking for a way to avoid spending $35 for a serial cradle from Dell for a one-time use to create a partnership. Any thoughts?

KiLLiN-TiMe
04-05-2003, 11:56 PM
if you have a laptop with an ir port it will work. that is what we did at my work. 8)

timS
04-06-2003, 12:00 AM
I do have a work laptop with XP that I could create a partnership with either through USB or IR, but that doesn't help me with my desktop that is my real goal.... unless I am missing something.

KiLLiN-TiMe
04-06-2003, 12:11 AM
one thing i just thought of that you may try (i dont know if it will work or not) is to install active sync on your work computer then burn your active sync folder (C:/program files/Microsoft Activesync) from home and copy and paste it into the machine at work.
If the partnership is in that folder it should work. Im just not sure where active sync saves its partnerships.
Might be worth a try. :D

timS
04-07-2003, 05:29 AM
I actually wanted to try this but figure it might be a lot of work. I figure that I had better make my IP address of my home machine match that of my work machine so that when I go to sync wirelessly, it goes to the right machine. I'll give it a try and let you know the results. Loving the AXIM!!