View Full Version : Building a Web Page......any advice?

nosmohtac
04-04-2003, 06:05 AM
I want to build a web page for my coworkers to share informations and ask and answer questions.
Being the tech-savvy bunch that you are, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I would most likely be using MS Front Page, and it isn't going to be big enough to need a dedicated server so any and all info on free or inexpensive web hosting would be greatly appreciated.
I've never done this before, so basically I'm asking for the do's and don'ts as well as the how-tos.

Pony99CA
04-04-2003, 07:43 AM
I want to build a web page for my coworkers to share informations and ask and answer questions.
Being the tech-savvy bunch that you are, any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I would most likely be using MS Front Page, and it isn't going to be big enough to need a dedicated server so any and all info on free or inexpensive web hosting would be greatly appreciated.
I've never done this before, so basically I'm asking for the do's and don'ts as well as the how-tos.
If it's for coworkers, won't your company give you Web space?

You might also try a search on :google: using free Web hosting. There seem to be a lot of hits, but those won't necessarily tell you how good they are. Hopefully someone here will, but, if not, try searching on free Web hosting ratings.

If you want people to ask questions in a forum-like area (like this), you'll probably need PHP and database support, but I don't know about running anything like that.

Steve

lonesniper
04-04-2003, 09:16 AM
I strongly recommend ICDSoft (http://www.icdsoft.com) for your cheap webhosting. They work out at $5 a month, give you the domain registration, 333mb of space, PHP and mySQL.
I have 4 sites with them for the past 2 years and only ever had a minor database problem which was solved via email in about 30mins.

Give them a serious look.
Colin

Pat Logsdon
04-05-2003, 12:07 AM
If you just want a place for questions, a forum like this one (which runs on phpbb software) would be your best bet. If you just want the forum and no home page, you don't even need Front Page, just an FTP program and some space on a server somewhere.

Then, download the phpbb software (use the link at the bottom of every page on this site) and copy it to the web server via FTP. Then you can just configure phpbb via your browser.

Pretty easy to do - you'd just need to find a free/cheap host with MySQL and PHP 4.0 installed.

Good luck!

nosmohtac
04-05-2003, 06:45 AM
If it's for coworkers, won't your company give you Web space?

Steve
My company won't likely want to give us any space on their server, and I don't think that the workers would want it on there either, because it's for union business.

davidspalding
04-13-2003, 02:44 PM
Browse the tutorials a www.webmonkey.com. Many, many easy to follow topics along the lines of do's, don'ts, and groovy cool neat-o DOs. ;)