View Full Version : Owning a PPC for non-work related reasons..

verbal
04-03-2003, 08:46 PM
How many of you bought a PPC and DO NOT use it for work? Or bought one and didn't plan on using for work? What were your reasons?

I just got a Dell Axim because I got a hell of a deal on it. And I can't resist new geek toys. I plan on getting a laptop in a couple months, but this PPC holds me over till then. =) I'm trying to decide if I'm going to keep it or not, but I've only had it for 24hrs. I'm just not sure if I'll actually get use out of it. Let alone carry it with me most of the time. But we'll see.

targetdrone
04-03-2003, 09:00 PM
You will keep it and use it often, but first you need the right stuff on it.

Check out the essential software thread and the Today Screen thread in the Dell forum.

I love mine for games, music, movies, mail, ebooks and more.

But you have get the programs for it, or it's just a paperweight in your pocket.

-targetdrone

PetiteFlower
04-03-2003, 09:44 PM
I don't use mine for work at all and I carry it with me ALL the time and use it constantly. I keep appointments on there, I can use it to check my email when I'm away from home or surf the web, I have directions to all my friends' houses on it, I play games to pass the time when I have to wait in lines and such, it is just the most useful thing I own!

yodacai
04-03-2003, 09:51 PM
I recently sold my e740 on ebay and bought an ipaq 1910 with the proceeds. I am a grad student in psychology and just did not use all the features of the e740 that I thought I would. I love my 1910! I use it to track appointments, school assignments/projects, contacts, music, newsgroups, news via avantgo, games... the usual stuff.

In Sept. I start a 9 month practicum so the little 1910 will come in handy as I begin more work with clients and such. I figure when I graduate in about a year I will invest in some other cool PPC. Until then, my little buddy works just fine!

PetiteFlower
04-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Oh yes, I have my banking software on there too so I never have to worry about forgetting what my balance is and accidentally going over :)

Elad Yakobowicz
04-03-2003, 10:56 PM
I got a few because they are just too neat not to have... the fact that they are the perfect computer companion short of a laptop and that it has endless functions and uses also factors in, but I doubt I was thinking of it at the time.

Shadowcat
04-03-2003, 10:59 PM
I bought mine because I love electronics and computers. The only time I use it for work is to keep track of stuff I need to do.

rberry88
04-03-2003, 11:32 PM
Work??? These things are meant to be used for work purposes?? Just kidding, actually I have used Palm PDA's in the past for work tasks (contacts, Documents To Go etc) just because of the simplicity of the applications that didn't require a great level of depth but I recently (a month ago) bought a PPC (5455) and found that this little device can do everything I did before plus a TON more. I guess when you don't have something its harder to know what you are missing until you do have it.

rberry88

Agammamon
04-07-2003, 04:34 PM
I got mine because I like new geek toys and I was looking for a music player. After seeing how much machines that were just MP3 players cost and taking into consideration that I could use my Ipaq for work and games and movies I took the plunge and bought a 3835. Of course over the next six months I aslo went and bought a 3955 and now I am on a 5455 where I think I'll be staying for a while.

Jacob
04-07-2003, 04:49 PM
I can't say I don't use it for work, because as of last Friday I started!

I always had appointments (work and otherwise) on there just so when I'm at lunch I can remind myself when the meeting I have that day starts.

I pretty much just use it to keep track of things I need to do, read stuff from AvantGo, ebooks, and games :D

For me it's a great tool to keep me organized - in fact I've probably never been so organized in my life.

cheryl
04-17-2003, 01:29 AM
The only thing work-related I use mine for is keeping track of my schedule. I play games, watch movies, listen to music...basically everything EXCEPT work. Unless you count beta testing work :lol:

Brad Adrian
04-17-2003, 04:17 AM
I use mine about half for work, half for non-work. For my personal use, it's indispensible for

Honey-Do lists
Keeping track of where I need to drive my kids
IM-ing my kids while I'm away
Bible study
Games (of course)