View Full Version : Syncing with outlook...

verbal
04-03-2003, 06:18 AM
I just got my Dell Axim. It's pretty cool but I'm still making up my mind on if I want to keep it or not..

I need some help syncing with outlook. It works just like it should. BUT...I don't want to sync my inbox. I have no desire to read my email on my PPC. But I would like to write an email from time to time and have the email sent when I sync. Is this possible?

I wrote an email on the PPC but it wouldn't send until I turned on inbox syncing. The email I wrote isn't in the PPC outbox anymore, yet the person I emailed never recieved and email.

Also, since I sync'd with outlook, I now have a few personal folders. How do I delete those folders? "Manage Folders..." is always greyed out.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Sooner Al
04-03-2003, 02:09 PM
...is to open ActiveSync on the desktop and go to:

1. Tools -> Options and UNCHECK the Inbox checkbox.
2. Setup a POP3 Inbox Service on your Axim.

http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/club/support/support_question.asp?cid=0&tid=6&qid=0

You should now be able to receive/send email, using the new service, via your cradle and ActiveSync Pass Through... Go to ActiveSync Tools -> Options -> Rules. You may need to change the Pass Through setting to get this to work...

Of course sending and receiving mail still requires the desktop to be actively connected to the public internet.

verbal
04-03-2003, 03:14 PM
If I setup the service above, will that automatically connect to my email account and download new messages? Or will it only go through outlook on my PC? Again, I just want my PPC to send messages that I've written, NOT recieve new messages.

verbal
04-03-2003, 07:44 PM
Anybody? Please?

Sooner Al
04-03-2003, 09:26 PM
If I setup the service above, will that automatically connect to my email account and download new messages? Or will it only go through outlook on my PC? Again, I just want my PPC to send messages that I've written, NOT recieve new messages.

...totally bypasses your desktop Outlook.... I use my iPAQ 3835 this way. I do not sync Inbox with my desktop Outlook, but I do sync everything else, ie. Contacts, Calendar, Files, etc. I treat my iPAQ with a wireless card as a totally separate PC as far as email is concerned. I either download/send email wireless-ly or via the cradle when synchronizing.

targetdrone
04-03-2003, 09:27 PM
I find I like having the messages on the Axim. I usually read them on the PC, and when I delete them, they are automatically deleted off the ppc (and vice-versa).

Are you trying to figure out if you write an email on your Axim and click 'send', will it try to connect to the internet without your PC? I believe it just puts it in your outbox on your pc and sends when you connect your pc to the internet. I am assuming that you have dial up service. Your Axim will not be set up to connect to the internet on it's own. You need a modem CF card or a wireless phone and cable for that.

PetiteFlower
04-03-2003, 09:46 PM
What email service do you use?

verbal
04-03-2003, 11:47 PM
I don't think you guys (and girls) understand what I want to do..

1. I DO NOT want to sync messages from my PC inbox to my PPC inbox. I don't want to be able to read my email on my ppc.

2. Once I get a wireless card, I DO NOT plan on checking my email with my ppc. And thats what seeing up the service is for, right?

3. I want to be able to write an email on my ppc and when I sync it with my desktop, it will automatically get sent.

To make a possibly long explaination short, I **ONLY** want to sync the outbox from my PPC to my desktop. I don't want any email being sync'd from my PC to my PPC. Only the PPC outbox TO my desktop PC.

PetiteFlower
04-04-2003, 02:39 AM
I don't know if that's possible. I understood what you wanted to do before though.

There isn't an option using activesync to NOT sync the inbox. You can choose not to sync any of the subfolders, but the Inbox doesn't have a box to uncheck.

If you want to go OUTSIDE of Activesync, you can set up a pop "service" and you *MAY* be able to send email directly from the ppc using wifi or another connection, but (and this is why I asked who your email provider was) you may not be able to do it unless you're connected through wifi to your normal internet provider; many will not let you send email through their servers when using another connection(this is supposedly to prevent their servers from being used for spamming). However, if you are able to send this way, I don't think there is a way to send only and not receive like there is in outlook.

HOWEVER--you don't have to download the full messages, you can tell it to only get the headers, plus even if you do dl the full messages it will leave a copy of them on the server so you can still dl them to your desktop when you are at home. Just be aware that if you DELETE the email off your PPC, it will also get deleted off the server and then it WILL be gone.

Again, using the service is completely outside of Activesync. I do not believe there is a way to do what you want through Activesync. Using the service isn't exactly what you want but it's probably as close as you're going to get.

Brad Adrian
04-04-2003, 03:46 AM
Okay, I haven't tried this, but maybe it will work. You don't say if you're synching with an Exchange Server or with a POP account, but it shouldn't matter.

In desktop ActiveSync, go to the settings for Inbox. There, set it to "Copy Messages from the last 0 days." That SHOULD allow to you send messages without cluttering up your inbox with incoming mail.

verbal
04-04-2003, 05:11 PM
Okay, I haven't tried this, but maybe it will work. You don't say if you're synching with an Exchange Server or with a POP account, but it shouldn't matter.

In desktop ActiveSync, go to the settings for Inbox. There, set it to "Copy Messages from the last 0 days." That SHOULD allow to you send messages without cluttering up your inbox with incoming mail.

I rememeber seeing this setting, but I can't find it now. Where is it?

And sometimes when I try to get the settings of the inbox, the little "checking settings" (can't remember the exact dialog) just flashes then goes off. Settings never open...

Sooner Al
04-04-2003, 10:29 PM

I rememeber seeing this setting, but I can't find it now. Where is it?

And sometimes when I try to get the settings of the inbox, the little "checking settings" (can't remember the exact dialog) just flashes then goes off. Settings never open...

Open the desktop ActiveSync, go to Tools -> Options and check the Inbox checkbox. Click OK and let the Inbox sync. Once that happens highlight and right-click on Inbox and select Settings. You can then try Brad's suggestion. It just might work... Let us know...

Good luck...

verbal
04-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Didn't work. I tried unchecking the box and setting it to 0. Still syncs any new msgs in my inbox.

Which isn't that big of a deal I guess. But I just wish when I deleted it from my PPC it didn't effect the copy on my PC. But oh well. Just gotta get a routine of syncing and checking my email.