View Full Version : Palm Zire 71

Macguy59
04-03-2003, 12:42 AM
The upcoming beefed up colorized version of the pathetic Zire is due out anytime now. Why should anyone care? Note one of the PDA's capabilities. .

" In addition, it will be able to play video in QuickTime format." 8O

Why don't we have a quicktime player yet?????

Fishie
04-03-2003, 01:13 AM
Saw the pics, built in VGA cam, OMAP processor and first PALM device to market that uses Palm OS 5.2.
All for under 300$.

Sweet competition for the Axim at that price.

Palm after all still seems to have the ability to fight back.

The second half of this year is gonna be mighty intresting, especially now that it seems that most Palm OS handhelds are switching to 320on320 screens with 16 bit colour while PPC´s remain stuck with quarter VGA.

More choice, more fun.

Macguy59
04-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Saw the pics, built in VGA cam, OMAP processor and first PALM device to market that uses Palm OS 5.2.
All for under 300$.

The second half of this year is gonna be mighty intresting, especially now that it seems that most Palm OS handhelds are switching to 320on320 screens with 16 bit colour while PPC´s remain stuck with quarter VGA.

More choice, more fun.

Yup, hardware wise it's not too bad. Unfortunately it will be running Palm OS. I will still like to know how they accomplished a Quicktime player.

Fishie
04-03-2003, 03:03 AM
Actually pictpocket already plays some low quality quicktime files on PPC.
Id guess this would be sorta like that.

heov
04-03-2003, 03:03 AM
All for under 300$.

More choice, more fun.

Yup, hardware wise it's not too bad. Unfortunately it will be running Palm OS. I will still like to know how they accomplished a Quicktime player.

easy, they wrote one ;) or apple wrote one for them :D.

Of course their hardware is fully capable of decoding it... infact the OMAP processor w/ the DSP chip is one heck of a video beast. I guess quicktime is for the video.

I have a bunch of quiktime stuff, and would love a player too. Hopefully it's not something like a motion jpeg quicktime, since that's what the camera probably record in.

Anyway, this does seem to be one nice device for the consumer market.

Sheynk
04-03-2003, 03:52 AM
quicktime: so many trailers.....so few programs that can play them

dean_shan
04-03-2003, 07:29 AM
quicktime: so many trailers.....so few programs that can play them How true.

Fishie
04-03-2003, 11:39 AM
Anyone here ready to jump ship if this sub 300$ machine turns out to be a Multimedia beast?

I wonder how Sony will react to the Zire 71.