View Full Version : quick question about router

mscdex
04-02-2003, 11:49 PM
I am thinking about getting a wifi pc card for my ipaq and a dsl/cable router to act as an access point. The access point is made by SMC (http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?sec=Products&pg=Product-Details&prod=258&site=c). Since it has a 4 port 10/100 switch as well as the 802.11b access point, I was wondering if I could hook my desktop computer into the wifi router and use it to transmit wireless, thus saving money (not having to buy a usb or pci adapter for the desktop). Is this possible? If so, would it be easy to configure it as stated above?

PetiteFlower
04-02-2003, 11:56 PM
You can plug the router into your PC using wires, that wouldn't be a problem. And the ROUTER will be transmitting the wireless signal so I don't know why you'd need your PC to be transmitting it. Basically your PDA and your PC will be on a network together connected by the router, the only difference is that your PC will be connected with cable and your PDA with wireless.

This is what I'm about to set up this weekend in my new apartment, a wireless router connected to 2 PCs using cable and a 3rd using wireless--will be adding my PDA to the network when I can afford the wifi card :) So I'll let you know if it was easy!

FredMurphy
04-03-2003, 12:04 AM
Your router should allow you to connect any devices to your DSL / Cable connection whether wired ethernet or WiFi. If you decide to "unwire" your desktop PC at a later date all you have to to is add a PCI or USB adaptor.

Saaby
04-03-2003, 05:47 AM
Yup, we actually have this type of set up here. 2 Wired PCs, 1 Wireless Laptop, 1 soon to be Wireless Axim.