View Full Version : Ebooks?

Lubaxe
04-02-2003, 03:08 AM
How do i read ebooks? pdf files.. that i got from the net on my dell axim x5, i dont know how to open them in Ms reader.

spursdude
04-02-2003, 04:04 AM
You can't read them with Microsoft Reader. Pick up the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PPC (http://download.com.com/3000-2153-8224519.html?tag=lst-0-1). That will do the trick.

ironguy
04-02-2003, 05:03 PM
Try uBook (www.gowerpoint.com). From the site...

µBook is a simple and lean, yet powerful ebook reader for Windows and Pocket PCs that can read HTML, TXT, RTF, PDB and PRC (not secure) ebook files. It can read directly from inside ZIP or RAR files, and supports BMP, GIF and JPG images. It offers many customization options including: Portrait and Landscape display, Choice of font type, color and size, etc.... It Also has a resizable/skinnable User Interface. µBook is improving on a regular basis and best of all it's free!

Shadowcat
04-03-2003, 12:17 AM
Hey that's pretty cool! I've never seen this mentioned before!

targetdrone
04-03-2003, 09:38 PM
How do i read ebooks? pdf files.. that i got from the net on my dell axim x5, i dont know how to open them in Ms reader.

MS Reader won't open .pdf files. As Reader is my preferred ebook reader, (I have Mobipocket, u-book, and Adobe reader as well) I open .pdf files in Acrobat on my laptop and save them as .rtf files and then open them in Word and convert them to .lit files with the built-in converter. It only takes a moment to do and the ClearType in Reader makes it well-worth the minimal effort.

-targetdrone

nosmohtac
04-17-2003, 08:22 AM
How do you save a .pdf file as an .rtf file? do you need a full version of acrobat? The reader I have on my computer doesn't have a save as... option, only a save copy. I've always wanted to be able to convert these to plain text or to .rtf so I can read them in ubook. I think adobe has it's place in the computer world, but with the size of the files and time that it takes to reflow while converting to the acrobat reader for pocket pc format, it's just not worth it.

I am very careful about what I put on my storage cards in terms of size. Flash memory is getting cheaper, but If I can put 30 minutes of music in mp3 format on a 32MB storage card and can put more than 60 minutes of music on that same card in .wma format, I'll take that latter.
Just for your info, I loaded the lord of the rings collection on a storage card in .pdf format and the four books took up more than 15MB. I later found the same four books in .doc format and converted them to .lit with the reader add in for MS word and all four only took up 4.7MB. To me that is a huge difference, and gives me a bad taste for Adobe.

ps After discovering ubook, I took the same for books in .doc format and then saved them as .rtf, zipped them and put them on my storage card and it was just over 1MB. The ability to read books from a zipped file is great and makes ubook my reader of choice. I like that MS reader has cleartype, but i actually like the text smoothing in ubook better. It is easier on my eyes when reading for long periods of time.