View Full Version : viewsonic isn't SDIO?

Hank Scorpio
04-01-2003, 04:52 AM
I just bought a V35 and I emailed viewsonic to see when they might have drivers for sockets sd bluetooth card, and here's the answer I got -

The current version of Pocket PC in the V35 does not support SDIO. You will not be able to connect and external device to the unit. The unit will only be able to read / write to a SD/MMC card.

Regards,

Garland M.
Technical Support
ViewSonic Corporation

Mystery905
04-01-2003, 05:28 AM
I just bought a V35 and I emailed viewsonic to see when they might have drivers for sockets sd bluetooth card, and here's the answer I got -

The current version of Pocket PC in the V35 does not support SDIO. You will not be able to connect and external device to the unit. The unit will only be able to read / write to a SD/MMC card.

Regards,

Garland M.
Technical Support
ViewSonic Corporation

I hope that isn't true. That was one of the reasons why I got the V35 over the Ipaq 1910. Perhaps this is a reason why they can provide me a full refund?

I am trying to find their specs, and on their site they just mention use of SD memory cards. In the manual, page 11, it implies not just memory: 'Accepts an optional Secure Digital card for extended memory capacity or extended capabilities'.

Anyone else know what's going on here?

Tripz
04-01-2003, 06:35 AM
8O uh o, plz tell me this ain't true either!

here we go again :roll: first memory issues now not really SDIO??

Grrrrrrr

Raptor
04-01-2003, 08:01 AM
This has been brought up before. The stock V35 does not have the drivers for SDIO. However, the SDIO hardware is there. It kinda makes sense, since at release there really weren't any SDIO devices. They probably figured they could just have an update for it later once SDIO becomes more available.

jhiken
04-25-2003, 01:59 AM
I spoke to a supervisor at Viewsonic support who told me that the SDIO upgrade will cost a "nominal fee". I expressed my anger at Viewsonic for allowing the misimpression of SDIO support to proliferate throughout the print and online reviews of this model but they were not sympathetic. If it is not stated as supported on their website, they feel they have no fault in the matter. I feel they clearly have not learned from the fiasco concerning the available RAM in the unit. It's too bad such a nice PDA continues to be saddled with such poor publicity. Not smart tactics from a company just entering this competitive marketplace. No wonder the Ipaq 1910 sales are far surpassing the V35's. Providing SDIO support is basically the only feature differentiating the units on the basis of capability and Viewsonic should hype that as much as possible.

Janak Parekh
04-25-2003, 03:14 AM
I spoke to a supervisor at Viewsonic support who told me that the SDIO upgrade will cost a "nominal fee".
Well, let's wait and see what happens. Full bSquare SDIO Now! support, which most current SDIO peripherals have, has a non-trivial licensing fee that vendors must purchase. Hopefully nominal is truly nominal. :)

--janak

RockstarRunner
06-10-2003, 09:08 AM
Hey,
I also was completely under the impression that the V35 had SDIO support, and I was wondering about what cards they supported, here was the response I eventually got:

"The current V35 does not support SDIO. This means that although perfectly
Usable for additional memory, it will not work with a Bluetooth SD card.
ViewSonic are planning to release and upgraded version V35-2 that will run Under Pocket PC 2003 and support SDIO and around August this year."

So what do we do about this? Are we never getting this baby connected, because otherwise it's a sweet device.

- Runner

Janak Parekh
06-11-2003, 02:33 AM
Interesting. Maybe it'll boil down to what Viewsonic's upgrade policy is. I haven't heard much news on it in the interim.

--janak

Peter Foot
07-03-2003, 09:59 AM
There will be an upgrade from Viewsonic at the end of July for current V35 and V37 units to PPC 2003. No details yet on pricing though...

view_dl
08-08-2003, 07:55 PM
I asked the same question to viewsonic and here is their reply.

The ViewSonic V35 does not support SDIO. We are currently working on SDIO support for the V35. We might have an update in the near future.

If you have anymore questions, please feel free to contact our Technical Support Team at 1-800-688-6688 and choose the Mobile & Wireless menu option. One of our Technical Support Engineers will be glad to assist you.

Thank you for choosing ViewSonic.

Best Regards,

Garland M.
Technical Support
ViewSonic Corporation
1-800-888-8583