View Full Version : Recommendations for wireless WAN and GPS simultaneously

rapster
04-01-2003, 12:44 AM
Our company is looking for a solution that would allow us to automatically send GPS coordinates from a PPC in real-time (or close to it) back to a server via GSM/GPRS.

Is there anything avilable that would allow us to do that without any wires connected to an antenna or an outboard modem/mobile phone?

All ideas appreciated!
==
Randy

rhmorrison
04-01-2003, 03:50 PM
Any PDA where you can add BOTH a GPS receiver and a GSM (or otherless) cell phone card should work.

I know some trucking companies have such systems to keep track of all the trucks on the road. The equipment is then built into each truck and the info is sent either via cell phone or satellite (don't remember which) back to their central office where they can then display the information in near real time.

For their purposes an update every 5 to 10 minutes is sufficient.

If you can describe your requirements in a little more detail...

daS
04-03-2003, 06:41 AM
Our company is looking for a solution that would allow us to automatically send GPS coordinates from a PPC in real-time (or close to it) back to a server via GSM/GPRS.
If you use a dedicated GPRS data card, then you might be able to have the server request the location from the device. It might save you some data charges since the number of updates could be reduced unless a specific update is required.

In any case, I talked to a company that sells this type of application at the Microsoft Mobility DevCon last month. I'll see if I can find the contact information for you.

gdaswani
04-03-2003, 06:42 PM
a PPC,T68i, + BT GPS along with a socketcom bluetooth card can do this - it supports multiple connections simultaneously.

daS
04-04-2003, 12:30 AM
a PPC,T68i, + BT GPS along with a socketcom bluetooth card can do this - it supports multiple connections simultaneously.
Yes, but someone needs to write the application for it. The application could be trivial or if it has a few options, then the best bet is to find an existing product.

Depending on how many units we are talking about, it might be worth spending more money on design in order to reduce the unit hardware costs. However, if the number of units is small, then reducing the development costs at the expense of higher per-unit costs is worth it. That's the type of thing that I look at when I'm asked to advise on such projects.