View Full Version : Verizon Launch date for Samsung i-700

HOLLYWOOD_
03-31-2003, 09:23 PM
Talked with our companies' Business Sales Rep at Verizon this morning. Regarding the release date for the Samsung i-700 he said:

"I have a launch date of 4/7/03, but I heard it could be delayed to 4/28/03."

HOLLYWOOD_
03-31-2003, 09:35 PM
More info:

"Cost is looking like $629.99 for 1-year and $599.99 for 2-year. We are not given the SKU's to order until it is officially available."

Bladefree21
04-01-2003, 05:56 AM
awesome !!!!!!!!! :) :D

Janak Parekh
04-01-2003, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like it'll be overpriced for a while, but still good news. :)

--janak

PPCMD
04-04-2003, 03:49 AM
All I can say is the price on this unit had better not go the way of my Motorola T720. After 30 days it was cut in half. That is 30 days after release, I was not amused.

Otherwise this PPCPE will rock.

Janak Parekh
04-04-2003, 04:17 AM
The price will go down, but probably not as fast as the T720. That was a special case amongst all the Verizon phones I know.

--janak

PPCMD
04-05-2003, 01:16 AM
Stopped into the Verizon store today and the manager I had been speaking with told me Monday the 7th he will be able to order it, although he "could not tell" me what the pricing would be.

He eluded to the fact that the pricing could be close to the There was at introduction which is a joke. For $800 Verizon is nuts. I had to work out the details with Customer Service today since my current phone has a two year contract that I never wanted (only go 1 year) since I change about every 12 months or so to keep up with the latest technology.

Luckily for me the second CS rep was very helpful. They are charging me $30 to cover the price difference when I got my original phone and I can renew when the SGH comes out for a 1 year contract and start anew without issue. So the $629 price if correct should be me. I hope it doesn't take weeks to get it ordered in.

HOLLYWOOD_
04-07-2003, 12:52 AM
Is it possible to have 2 devices with the same phone number - for example can I have the i-700 AND a cell phone both with Verizon with the same number? :?:

Janak Parekh
04-07-2003, 03:51 AM
Is it possible to have 2 devices with the same phone number - for example can I have the i-700 AND a cell phone both with Verizon with the same number? :?:
I don't think you can with CDMA carriers - they've put steps in place to prevent it. I think. With GSM, you can certainly switch the SIM card...

In either case, you definitely cannot have both cell phones on at the same time.

--janak

ironguy
04-07-2003, 03:54 PM
The guy that sits next to me in choir has an i700. He works for a company called Seven (www.seven.com) that develops mobile apps for PDAs and cell phones. We were talking the other night and he pulled out three different cell phones, a Siemens Pocket PC version, a Kyocera Palm version, and his personal mototrola phone. He told me they had just received their shipment of the i700s and he had one at his desk (they're not allowed to take them from the office until after the release date which he didn't know). He is a developer/programmer for Seven. I tried to talk him into bringing it but he wouldn't budge.

PetiteFlower
04-07-2003, 06:15 PM
A friend of mine has 2 different phones, his main one and another one that he uses once in a while. When he wants to use the backup phone he just gets his calls forwarded to it, so no one has to worry about him having more then one phone number.

PPCMD
04-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Well Verizon has delayed the release date of the i700. If you have a corp rep who does BtoB then you can get it on 4/21 otherwise the retail release date is 4/28. They are trying to get display & working demos to the retail stores, which means they coudn't in time for today.

The pricing is confirmed though. $629.99 w/ 1YR Contract & $599.99 w/ 2YR Contract (don't go 2 YR) you will want a new phone before then, its not worth the $30.

The retails stores (at least in CNY) are not going carry them in the store, the lead time is 3 days to get your order fulfilled. So I figure order on 4/28 get it on 5/1. Just a couple more weeks.

PetiteFlower
04-07-2003, 10:52 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but having a contract doesn't prevent you from getting a new phone, it just prevents you from changing your service provider. At least with every provider I've ever used, I could upgrade my phone OR my plan at any time even if I was under an existing contract. If you get a nnew phone under the same provider you can even keep your phone number. I've changed plans(under sprint) to increase my minutes while in the middle of a contract term without problem too, I don't think it adds to your contract length or anything like that.

Now if you think you'll want to change from (for example) Verizon to Sprint within the next 2 years, then don't get the longer contract, but if you are pretty sure you'll want to keep Verizon and just get a new phone model, that shouldn't be a problem regardless of contract.

Bladefree21
04-07-2003, 11:59 PM
I am excited about the 8) Samsung i700 Pocket PC to come out with all of its features. :deal: Not having to carry the nexicam expansion sleeve for my iPAQ 3955 (remarkable). The abitlity to be on the internet for resources, IM, Teliphone, :scatter: etc. "Anywhere anytime"! 64MB of ROM for the next 2003 OS 8) SDIO Now!, will also be a great thing (SDIO: 802.11b WIFI NIC card , Bluetooth, Radio,Presenter-to-GoCard, etc.

I called Sprint a couple of days back, & asked if they knew when the i700 would be in stock. The representative said she did not usually get any information about future devices until about a week before they came in. Which should be close to the time you had stated for Verizon,... so, I will call on the 28th.

Janak Parekh
04-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong please, but having a contract doesn't prevent you from getting a new phone
Unfortunately, it's not that simple... with certain providers (like Verizon), you have to be near the end of your contract to get a subsidized phone.

You're with Sprint, which is a fairly special case -- until recently, they didn't have any discounts if you renewed your contract at the same time -- and in general all their phones are subsidized, whether you get a contract or not.

I've changed plans(under sprint) to increase my minutes while in the middle of a contract term without problem too, I don't think it adds to your contract length or anything like that.
Plan extensions do happen if you switch to promos under various wireless carriers. Sprint might be a little different; back when I had them they never even gave contracts :)

--janak

PPCMD
04-09-2003, 01:00 AM
Janak is correct and on the money with my issue. First was I never like 2 year contracts since with Verizon you can't make a hardware upgrade unless you like paying FULL price. Which is never an option since the phones (except the i700) are never worth it.

My issue really lay with the sales rep who didn't do as I asked and never explained what I wanted to know. My fault is I didn't read my paperwork.

End result is Verizon sent me to LMS or Loyalty Management Services who fully understood if I paid to get out, which was $350 then the likleyhood I would stay was next to none.

The end result for Verizon is I stay with them another 12 months and really they only lose about 4 months of the existing contract window. What really irked me the most is my wife barely uses her phone. I mean we are talking she uses it about 10 minutes in three months. Prepaid is lame. You pay for the minimum of $15 which is good for 30 days. I pay $20 on the family plan.

So now I wait the two to three weeks, two if I can get ahold of our corp rep and get my phone ordered, trying tomorrow. In the CNY area Verizon is the best an the nationwide coverage is really nice.

ticklz
04-10-2003, 03:12 AM
You guys are really creating some excitement re this i700. It's affecting my sex life because I have a photo next to my bed and my girlfriend says that I'm more interested in the Samsung's specs than I am in hers. I said "babe if you promise to do all the things that this thing does then I'd stick your phot up next to my bed as well!". :lol:

I touched base with Samsung here in Australia the other day and they said it won't be released here until Q3. 0X So here's the dilemma if Verzon comes through with the goods this month you guys are going to be drooling over this thing several months before me. OOOwwwwww that hurts. :silly:

Therefore I officially request (no I demand) that Jason remove overindulgent comments like "this is the best PDA combo to come out on the market" until the end of Q3 8O

Surely I am not alone in thinking this. :roll:

PPCMD
04-10-2003, 05:15 PM
:mrgreen: it is tough for the US market too sometimes. I mean other markets get cool new devices before we do. You could order one from the US and if you have Verizon or sprint get them to activate it over there.

It will be tought waiting though 8O

PPCMD
04-11-2003, 12:24 AM
I talked to our corp rep today. Unfotunately he had less info than we all do. He was just in training on Monday and did confirm that the I700 was supposed to be out Monday (7th) along with the 7135 and a blackberry device.

He was surprised at the info I had (great forums like this help) and told me that I can get one overnight (for $10) in shipping costs so I am game for that. As soon as the 21st comes (hopefully no more delays) I will be ordering one and on the 22nd playing with a new one.

He tried suggesting the Kyocera 7135, but I had to set him straight on the step back in Palm OS technology it would be and that PPC really offers the future in terms of mobility and multimedia.

bdegroodt
04-12-2003, 02:20 PM
I talked to our corp rep today. Unfotunately he had less info than we all do. He was just in training on Monday and did confirm that the I700 was supposed to be out Monday (7th) along with the 7135 and a blackberry device...

No wonder he didn't know anything. He probably slept through class. The Verizon BB is a 6750. Bad Sales Rep! Bad! And then to top it off with even the suggestion of a Palm device? What's with this guy?

PPCMD
04-12-2003, 04:21 PM
I hear you on the palm thing (since I am leaving palm and going PPC) :mrgreen:. I figure he was looking to sell what you have today rather than what I wanted tomorrow. Heck I (make that all of us) know more about the phones than the reps do. 8O LOL.

Bladefree21
05-04-2003, 12:34 AM
Here are some additional pictures of the i700 (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3137&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30) <- Click there (At the bottom of that page) 8)

HOLLYWOOD_
05-05-2003, 01:32 AM
Where is the i700?????????

Bladefree21
05-05-2003, 07:42 PM
Apologies, its at the bottom of the page :Fade-color

HOLLYWOOD_
05-05-2003, 09:17 PM
No, I meant "Where is the i700 in stores ?" We are now in May, and still no i700.

ConceptVBS
05-06-2003, 11:45 PM
http://www.smartphoneforums.com

:D

HOLLYWOOD_
05-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Our Verizon Sales Rep just sent me an email concerning the i700.

"It is now available!!!!!!!"

stanfna
05-09-2003, 09:38 PM
any idea on when Sprint PCS will release the I700!!!!

I want one SOOOOOO bad I am loosing sleep!!!!!! 8O