View Full Version : New E750/E755 Owners Please Respond

Emike
03-31-2003, 09:13 PM
I have several questions regarding this new unit. Your responses are most appreciated.

1.) Does ActiveSync stay connected with no intermittent loss of connections?

2.) Does the keypad support multiple button presses, ie for gaming uses such as fire and directional pad at the same time?

3.) How does the stylus fit into the new unit? Do they use the same type of holder as the old E740 that wears out after a while and allows the stylus to just drop out?

4.) Do the buttons consistently turn the unit on, or do they sometimes work and sometimes not?

5.) Do the buttons seem to double press with a single press at times?

6.) Does the directional pad seem to hang in one direction or the other while being used to navigate IE pages or in games?

I am considering upgrading my E740 but would like to know if these specific problems have been eliminated from the new units.

Thanks for your response!

victore
03-31-2003, 11:26 PM
1. yes, activesync has not dropped or caused me any grief so far. (as long as i sync with Outlook XP on my XP machine. Now if you asked me about using Intellisync to Notes 4.5, i'm less than thrilled.)

2. haven't tried any games on my e750 yet, but i've seen other people's posting that this is no longer a problem with this unit.

3. the stylus holder is on the right side, on the back side. this is my first toshiba, and it's pretty new, so it hasn't worn out yet. i hope it doesn't start to fall out.

4. the record and other buttons do turn the unit on, but i turned off that function. now only the power button turns my unit on.

5. nope.

6. i use the jog wheel to navigate.

kevdawg2003
04-02-2003, 06:41 AM
hey emike, do you not like your e740? i just recently lost my ppc and i am looking around for a new one and the e740 looks like the most promising when it comes to features, capability and price. i have heard the battery life is a little cruddy. but my last pocket pc wasnt too wonderful either(ipaq 3635). thanks for your response!

adambravo
04-02-2003, 02:10 PM
1.) Does ActiveSync stay connected with no intermittent loss of connections?
>> No, not with my unit. It has dropped connections, and I still have the occasional 'Guest' issue

2.) Does the keypad support multiple button presses, ie for gaming uses such as fire and directional pad at the same time?
>> Don't know--not much of a gamer

3.) How does the stylus fit into the new unit? Do they use the same type of holder as the old E740 that wears out after a while and allows the stylus to just drop out?
>> Don't know how it compares to the 740, but no complaints so far; it seems similar to my old HP568. However, I just bought the new PDA Panache stylus, so hopefully there won't be any issues.

4.) Do the buttons consistently turn the unit on, or do they sometimes work and sometimes not?
>> They do not consistently turn the unit on. In fact, I've disabled them to avoid turning on the unit with the record button.

5.) Do the buttons seem to double press with a single press at times?
>> Not to my knowledge.

6.) Does the directional pad seem to hang in one direction or the other while being used to navigate IE pages or in games?
>> Not to my knowledge.
[/i]

Emike
04-02-2003, 07:20 PM
Thanks a million for the responses in regards to my questions. I am curious if any other new E750 owners out there have ever also owned the E740. I would be really curious how they would rate the new unit in comparison to the old one.
In response to KevDawg2003, I think the E740 is a decent PDA. However, I have had constant problems with ActiveSync and this PDA. I like to download Avantgo content every morning prior to leaving for work. This allows me to have the equivalent of a web newspaper to keep up with the events of the day. I also have the E740 sync my email. More often than not, I have to restart my computer and reset my PDA, sometimes more than once to complete this process. I despise having to do this. I expect this technology to just work. In the case of the E740 it doesn't. Otherwise, when the stylus isn't falling out, I really like it.

coliv77
04-17-2003, 01:33 AM
I have been using a new 755 for a week and have had the 740 for 6 months.

In general, it's a definitive improvement from the 740, mostly due to the screen, which is beautiful, and the speed. Other small issues have also improved.

However, I'm very dissapointed with the 750's sound quality. I used my 740 to listen to MP3s once in a while, but now the 750 sounds VERY poor in comparison. I guess they had to sacrifice something in order to maintain a decent price. For me, it's not good enough thus I won't use it anymore for MP3.

This is the whole reason I am posting this. I know some people will indeed find it very important and might actually stop from buying the 750 due to the audio quality problem.

Can anyone confirm this? It might be mine that has the problem. Also, a good equalizer might help, anyone suggest a particular one?

prismejon
04-20-2003, 07:44 PM
coliv77: When you say the sound quality is bad I presume you are talking about the speaker? I don't think there are that many pocketpc with good speakers out there..

coliv77
04-20-2003, 11:22 PM
No, I'm not talking about the speaker. They all suck.

I'm talking about the sound quality when using headphones. My e740 had much better quality. The e755 sounds distorted, flat and with very poor frequency response.

I installed PocketMusic, which has an EQ and this does improve the quality a bit. I wonder if there are other programs to help improve sound.

prismejon
04-20-2003, 11:35 PM
I don't know if you have high standards or the reviewer who wrote this (http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/toshiba_e750.htm) has low standards:
"The sound through headphones is excellent: loud, clear and it has decent bass"

Anyway, I would be very disapointed if the sound is really that bad as I'm planning to use mine (when I get one over to Norway) for mp3's.

Wazza
04-21-2003, 06:52 AM
Hey guys, i second the fact that the sound quality is excellent considering the fact that it came out of a small timy speaker from an PPC. I have used a 5450 and a 3970, i don't think its any worse than those two ppcs.

I am thoroughly enjoying the screen quality, the speed (awesome!) and the sound quality of the set...

prismejon
04-21-2003, 12:14 PM
Damn! Now I can't wait to get my hands on an E750! I almost managed to get one when my in-laws where in the US, but nothing went my way.. I had to order one at a web-shop since no store had gotten it yet. But after several attempts no web-shop managed to check my international VISA.. Not that there was a problem with my creditcard, they just couldn't verify the alternate shipping adress (to the hotel) that I had set up. I guess the E750 won't be available in Norway for at least 6 months, and the E740 costs over $900 at the moment so the price won't probably be nice either.

Arrgh! Me wants an E750!

journey
05-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Arrgh! Me wants an E750!

If you are willing to take the risk, you can get one off of eBay. Liquidation Universe has been actioning off 1-per-day for about 2 weeks now. From what they say about themselves, you are paying for pre-purchased unit, and then they buy a bulk order--thus, you may not get the unit for upto 30 days. Most of the items they sell are laptops. Anyway, the e755's have been going for US$350 - $500 each. They only take money order/cashier checks or bidpay.com, and you have to get the check to them w/in 4 days of winning. Of course the shipping charges are a little steep--US$35 for US shipments, and US$120 for international.

I was a little skeptical myself, but most of the feedback is favorable, and apparently when they are not able to deliver, they have been paying people (i.e., an additional $50 or $100 in their refund) to give them good reviews. The primary bad reviews have been from people who did not appreciate the delay or non-delivery or resented by paid for good feedback. Also, they are supposed to an Ebay Square Trade covered for up to $1000, so you might get lucky.

prismejon
05-07-2003, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the tip journey, but I'm buying one from sheynk:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11965

Yeah! Finally I'll have my first PPC!

prismejon
05-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Finally I'm not just a wannabe PocketPC nerd; my E755 arrived yesterday :D !

Wahhooo!