View Full Version : HELP ME CONNECT MY iPAQ 3970 TO A VERIZON MOBILE PHONE VIA BLUETOOTH

03-30-2003, 03:50 PM
I'm going to deflect this topic onto a slight, selfish tangent, if you'll allow me...

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME CONNECT MY iPAQ 3970 TO A VERIZON MOBILE PHONE VIA BLUETOOTH SO I CAN USE MY MINUTES TO SURF THE INTERNET AT 14.4K!!?? Sniff, sniff, no one can help me on this. Seems like no one at Verizon has ever *heard* of BT. No one I call. No dealer. Help! Why is it so hard?

Janak Parekh
03-30-2003, 04:10 PM
WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME CONNECT MY iPAQ 3970 TO A VERIZON MOBILE PHONE VIA BLUETOOTH SO I CAN USE MY MINUTES TO SURF THE INTERNET AT 14.4K!!?? Sniff, sniff, no one can help me on this. Seems like no one at Verizon has ever *heard* of BT. No one I call. No dealer. Help! Why is it so hard?
Because Verizon doesn't like Bluetooth. You'll notice not a single 1xRTT phone of theirs has BT. Rumor has it they're trying to work out a new cost structure for BT-enabled communications.

There have been reports of success with the Timeport 270c and an iPaq, but it requires a ROM update on the 270c and on the BT module. There are some very long discussions on this on Pocket PC Passion in the iPaq forum about a year ago - you might want to try searches there.

--janak

dochall
03-30-2003, 04:12 PM
I'm going to deflect this topic onto a slight, selfish tangent, if you'll allow me...

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME CONNECT MY iPAQ 3970 TO A VERIZON MOBILE PHONE VIA BLUETOOTH

Depends on the phone so but http://www.compaq.co.uk/products/ipaq/pocketpc/docs/t68i.pdf is worth looking at.

Have Verizon confirmed that data is enabled? On some networks you have to ask for it to be switched on.

dh
03-30-2003, 05:21 PM

WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME CONNECT MY iPAQ 3970 TO A VERIZON MOBILE PHONE VIA BLUETOOTH

Depends on the phone so but http://www.compaq.co.uk/products/ipaq/pocketpc/docs/t68i.pdf is worth looking at.

Have Verizon confirmed that data is enabled? On some networks you have to ask for it to be switched on.

Verizon Wireless is a CDMA network so the T68i, a GSM phone, does not function. There are very few BT phones that operate on CDMA. I believe that the only ones are phones that need an optional module as Janak mentioned.

This is sad for us because the two CDMA networks, Verizon and Sprint are the ones with the best coverage across the US. Sprint also has a great $10.00/month unlimited dataplan, although this is not supposed to be used with devices like PPCs and laptops. As a comparism, Verizons unlimited plan is $100.00 per month.

I believe that Sprint are going to be carrying an SE Bluetooth phone in the near future (we'll see about that) but I don't think Verizon are. Also both carriers are supposed to be offering PPCPE phones on CDMA soon as well.

I've been seriously thinking about the Compact Flash CDMA card that Sprint offer to use in my Axim or laptop. Verizon have a card as well, but inly a PC card size. There are some discussions on the Sprint card on this site and over at PPCPassion. The feeling seems to be that it's useful but not all it could be.

Maybe we all just need to drink a lot of coffee and go with the T-Mobile/Starbucks thingy.

Rumor has it they're trying to work out a new cost structure for BT-enabled communications.

I assume this rumored cost structure is not going to make things any cheaper?

Janak Parekh
03-30-2003, 05:54 PM
Verizon Wireless is a CDMA network so the T68i, a GSM phone, does not function.
I think the point was that the generic instructions might still be useful.

There are very few BT phones that operate on CDMA. I believe that the only ones are phones that need an optional module as Janak mentioned.
Right. There's also the SonyEricsson T60c, which in theory supports 1xRTT and Bluetooth via an optional module, but I've never heard definite reports of success or failure.

Maybe we all just need to drink a lot of coffee and go with the T-Mobile/Starbucks thingy.
I don't drink coffee, though, and I don't want to start now. ;)

I assume this rumored cost structure is not going to make things any cheaper?
Your guess is as good as mine, but I'd be inclined to agree. ;) The whole explanation still a rumor though. It just might be because Verizon is clueless... but I'm more skeptical of that, because they do have some very good techs and (also a rumor) specifically instructed SE not to include BT in T606 (unlike Sprint's T608).

--janak