View Full Version : About to buy

jim82
03-30-2003, 10:02 AM
I am about to purchase a new Toshiba E750 just want to know a few basic things that I cant find simple information about.

1) Connecting to internet. Can this be done with a normal modular plug or do I need a card adaptor? Can I connect using nokia 8210 while travelling?

2) Watching video. Is it possible/easy to transfer dvd to avi and store them on a card for viewing?

3) Handwritten notes. Is the software supplied with the pocket pc suitable for quickly jotting notes on the run and using them with outlook? Want to be able to quickly write notes to be stored as reminders.

4) Sufing the net. Is it possible to surf in landscape view?

5) Newsgroups. Is it possible to download newsgroups for viewing later offline?

6) Daily news? Is there somewhere I can download news each day for reading on the bus while travelling to work.

Sorry for all the questions. Any help would be appreciated

Jim

TopDog
03-30-2003, 02:36 PM
1) You can use IrDa, or you can buy a modular plug (see article on this page a couple of days ago). But if you plan on surfing a lot, I would highly recomend a Compact flash GPRS-modem (like the Audiovox RTM-8000, wich I use daily ;-))

2) Yes, using Pocket DivX (sorry, don't have the link right now, search the forums here and you find much info about it)

3) Yes, use "Notes" and they will transfer to Outlook (provided you got Outlook 2000 or 2002, 2002 follows with your PPC).

4) Yes, with 3'rd party software, don't remember what it's called right now, but you'll find info about it on these pages.

5) I think I've seen som 3'rd party software somewhere for this, but I'm not sure...

6) AvantGo or Mazingo. AvantGo is installed on your PPC, Mazingo is better, but you must download it...

As you see, almost anything can be done with a PPC :-)

dh
03-30-2003, 03:17 PM
2) Watching video. Is it possible/easy to transfer dvd to avi and store them on a card for viewing?

I have found the best way to convert DVDs to play on a PPC is to follow the guide at www.pocketmatrix.com.

This is a great step by step guide and includes downloads of the different programs you need to get going, all free by the way as is the great PocketMPV player.

You are also going to need to invest in a fairly large memory card if you want to keep a reasonable number of movies with you. The movies I have converted average about 185MB in size. I keep mine on a 1GB Compact Flash card which is pretty full already with music and movie files.

You are choosing the top specification PPC, hope you have a lot of fun with it.