View Full Version : Whats the best wireless access point?

verbal
03-28-2003, 08:10 PM
topic says it all. Obviously, I'm looking for good speed, range, and price. Thanks for the help.

dean_shan
03-28-2003, 08:22 PM
Just look at Tiger Direct (http://www.tigerdirect.com). That's where I got mine. Good prices too.

wocket
03-28-2003, 09:46 PM
I like the netgear stuff. Thats what i'm using at the minute an mr314 includes dchp serving and 4 port switch. Coupled with a buffalo cf wifi card for my ipaq and a i'm happy chappy.

ppcvidz.com
03-28-2003, 10:11 PM
www.newegg.com has some good prices on wireless equipment. We are currently using my room-mates that he got as an employee purchase through creative labs (can't remember the name of it). When I move out in a couple of months, i'm looking at getting one of the linksys ones and then adding the booster that goes with it.

Steven Cedrone
03-28-2003, 10:34 PM
Well, I only have only used one brand of WAP so I can't compare...

That being said, the D-Link WAP's that I've used have all been good. My WAP is upstairs in my bedroom, and I have no problems getting a signal anywhere in the house...

Steve

Vincent M Ferrari
03-28-2003, 10:55 PM
I just got my plain old US Robotics 11 Mbps Wireless Cable DSL router, with a four port switch and a print server. Works like a charm with a hodgepodge of cards:

My Dell Trumobile card in my handheld, and my Dlink 650 in my laptop.

Best part?

It only costs $50.00 from Tigerdirect! (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=U13-4054)

verbal
03-29-2003, 01:05 AM
All my stuff is in the basement. So i'd like to get a WAP that can give me access anywhere in the house and maybe a small perimeter outside.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?sku=U13-4040

I was looking at that, but I can't decide. I wish there were more reviews of WAPs.

I wouldn't mind one that supports g so that when they iron it out a firmware upgrade will get it running nicely.

Janak Parekh
03-29-2003, 03:25 AM
BTW, be careful when purchasing; wireless access points, or WAPs, are not the same thing as wireless-enabled Internet routers. The latter allow you to share a single Internet connection. The former doesn't; it's a bridge, and requires an existing Internet sharing solution.

As to whose I think is the best, I believe ORiNOCOs (now owned by Proxim (www.proxim.com)) have amongst the best range, and you can even hook up an extender antenna to some of them. However, they don't have "g" support yet, as far as I know.

--janak

verbal
03-31-2003, 03:16 PM
BTW, be careful when purchasing; wireless access points, or WAPs, are not the same thing as wireless-enabled Internet routers. The latter allow you to share a single Internet connection. The former doesn't; it's a bridge, and requires an existing Internet sharing solution.

As to whose I think is the best, I believe ORiNOCOs (now owned by Proxim (www.proxim.com)) have amongst the best range, and you can even hook up an extender antenna to some of them. However, they don't have "g" support yet, as far as I know.

--janak

So either way I have to get a router? I don't need the extra ethernet ports. I can't just get a WAP?

Janak Parekh
03-31-2003, 03:30 PM
So either way I have to get a router? I don't need the extra ethernet ports. I can't just get a WAP?
If you're looking to share an Internet connection with more than one device, and you don't already have a solution for that, then I do suggest the wireless-enabled Internet router. The cost of extra Ethernet ports is minimal.

--janak

verbal
03-31-2003, 03:41 PM
If you're looking to share an Internet connection with more than one device, and you don't already have a solution for that, then I do suggest the wireless-enabled Internet router. The cost of extra Ethernet ports is minimal.

--janak

I already have a Linksys Router/switch. If I buy a wireless router and switch I'll have two firewalls, which I'd like to avoid. Then again I could always get rid of the one I have now. *shrug*

I just thought a wireless access point would be cheaper since I could just plug it into my existing switch.

PetiteFlower
03-31-2003, 03:48 PM
Yes, if you already have a wired router, then you can just buy a WAP and plug it into your router. That's what it's for actually :)

Janak Parekh
03-31-2003, 03:50 PM
Yup, a WAP will do the trick. It's probably won't be cheaper, actually -- the routers are more popular -- but it will be a bit easier administratively. It is possible to turn off NAT/firewall on most routers, but it's an extra step, whereas the WAP is a true bridge.

Do a couple of price comparison searches -- that should help make your decision. :)

--janak

Vincent M Ferrari
03-31-2003, 04:58 PM

And you're leaving yourself open for future expandability... Something I realized when I got my PPC and already had my laptop.

verbal
04-01-2003, 07:18 PM
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50238244&pfp=home&cm_vn=cusa_4_1_03&cm_cat=Networking&cm_pla=hpfod&cm_ite=50238244#checkstore

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=299891&pfp=home&cm_vn=cusa_4_1_03&cm_cat=Networking&cm_pla=hpf2&cm_ite=299891#checkstore

What do you guys think of the USR? Or what about that linksys with G built in for the future? Is it worth it? Or should I just get the Linksys 802.11b wireless router?