View Full Version : next ppc OS updates

rzanology
03-28-2003, 05:15 PM
I've been an ipaq user for a long time now. And one of the things that i have noticed is how lazy these clowns get. I remember i had my 3635, and ppc 2002 came out. Needless to say i was the first on line to get the update :). It was the best thing in the world to me, it was pretty, faster, and alot of things seemed to run better. But when i bought my 3835, i noticed a few things that were loaded on the 38, but wasn't present in the 36. Now....i don't know if this had to do with microsoft, or compaq, but it sucked. Just last week i ran across a hi-res pic of one of those dells, as i took a look at the desk top, i noticed the desktop was custimized, and under the programs there was a little bubble. This makes me lean more toawrd the manifacture than microsoft. But my point is, i ran out and bought me my 3970 augaust of last year (had to get that bluetooth and screen maaaan :) ) even though i've been upgrading alot, i don't plan to upgrade until christmas....and i would imagine microsoft will relase a new version of ppc....and when they do that, i hope i don't get the short cuts and half azz part of the os....feed back anyone?

Pony99CA
03-28-2003, 08:47 PM
I've been an ipaq user for a long time now. And one of the things that i have noticed is how lazy these clowns get. I remember i had my 3635, and ppc 2002 came out. Needless to say i was the first on line to get the update :). It was the best thing in the world to me, it was pretty, faster, and alot of things seemed to run better. But when i bought my 3835, i noticed a few things that were loaded on the 38, but wasn't present in the 36. Now....i don't know if this had to do with microsoft, or compaq, but it sucked. Just last week i ran across a hi-res pic of one of those dells, as i took a look at the desk top, i noticed the desktop was custimized, and under the programs there was a little bubble. This makes me lean more toawrd the manifacture than microsoft. But my point is, i ran out and bought me my 3970 augaust of last year (had to get that bluetooth and screen maaaan :) ) even though i've been upgrading alot, i don't plan to upgrade until christmas....and i would imagine microsoft will relase a new version of ppc....and when they do that, i hope i don't get the short cuts and half azz part of the os....feed back anyone?
Sure. What are you complaining about?

If you're complaining about the pieces of Pocket PC 2002 that didn't come in the upgrade for your 3635, that was by design. There were two versions of Pocket PC 2002 -- Professional (usually for upgrades of systems without enough ROM) and Premium (which required more ROM and only shipped with new devices). That was a Microsoft decision.

For that, I'm hoping any upgrade to the next Pocket PC OS will be complete, as most newer Pocket PCs have 32 or 48 MB ROM. I don't mind losing my iPAQ File Store for new OS features, but I would mind losing my RAM.

If you're complaining about the "desktop" (do you mean Today screen?) or program manager programs, those are chosen by each OEM. Compaq/HP has iTask, Dell has something else.

Unless Microsoft has finally decided to include a decent program manager in the Pocket PC OS, I don't see this changing. Even if they do, for compatibility, the manufacturer may decide to include their current solution, too (I hope iTask won't just be abandoned for those of us used to working with it).

Steve