View Full Version : Secure Your Pocket PC with PDA-Protect

Jason Dunn
03-28-2003, 12:46 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.crypto-sign.com/devel/pda-protect.php' target='_blank'>http://www.crypto-sign.com/devel/pda-protect.php</a><br /><br /></div>"Crypto-Sign™ is a patent-pending remote authentication technology based upon the submission of a secret sign. PDA-Protect is a Crypto-Sign based product and has been developed for Pocket PC 2002 device access control. It is used to control the release of the password to enable the device at power-up or whenever a password is required. This means that the Password will not have to be remembered or entered each time it is used and a record of it may be stored in a secure location for access, if needed, to set up an ActiveSync partnership at your workstation. Different Crypto-Sign software can be used to generate/release a key for encryption purposes or to attach an electronic signature to an electronic document."

Cracknell
03-28-2003, 12:54 AM
how does this one work? interesting, but very mysterious.

pocketpcdude1024
03-28-2003, 01:25 AM
I read the quoted material several times, but apparently I don't understand it. Does it secure files, the device, or both? :?

I also went to the link, and it looks like a signature or something that you have to enter and that it checks against a preset signature. Does the Pocket PC really have the processing power to handle an operation like this?

thanos255
03-28-2003, 01:54 AM
I like my fingerprint scanner. Very easy, always works.
Now I cannot wait for programs to intergrate that function. Like Ewallet etc....

Thanks
Thanos

Jason Dunn
03-28-2003, 04:18 AM
I also went to the link, and it looks like a signature or something that you have to enter and that it checks against a preset signature. Does the Pocket PC really have the processing power to handle an operation like this?

You bet it does! CIC has a similar solution - yoy have to "sign in" to use your Pocket PC. It's very cool actually...works extremely well.

RodBeat
03-29-2003, 02:52 PM
Thank you for your comments. The site is still under develoment. In particular, the downlodd/payment system is not yet fully implemented. No charge will be made until the download is enabled.

Kicks
04-23-2003, 07:20 PM
I know I havn't posted here before, but I've lurked a lot since I got my Dell Axim.

I have to say that I've had the privelege of testing out PDA Protect and I think it's awesome so far. It recognizes my secret signature very accurately.

I also like the fact you can change the amount of time required after powering off before it needs your signature to get back in.

The only thing I havn't played with (and probably won't) is the hard-reset after failed attempts option. Not that brave :D

It's not as secure as the ipaq 5450, but it's just about the next best thing.

Kicks
04-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Hrm, my statement about biometric being more secure may be wrong. Just read through http://www.crypto-sign.com/devel/performance.php and it seems as though they're very close.

Just don't know, but I feel better having a signature on my system than not.