View Full Version : AXIM and GSM/GPRS CF Expansion Card.

maximus
03-27-2003, 11:48 AM
Friends,

I am new to this PPC stuffs :oops: so, please bear with me.

A short question for owners of AXIM X5. Have anyone of you succesfully connect an AXIM to a GSM/GPRS CF Expansion Card, like the Audiovox RT8000 ?

If yes, is the connection stable ?

Anyone know where can I purchase the Audiovox RT8000 ? or any other similar product ?

I would really like to retire my motorola T720 mobile phone, and put the sim card on a PPC.

The T720 is nice, sadly there is no way to directly download customized ringtones and images from a PC. :(

Thanks for the info.

TopDog
03-27-2003, 12:20 PM
I use Axim and Audiovox RTM-8000 every day!

I don't use the Audiovox for speach. The IA Style Dialer that comes with it, sucks big time... If you buy Running Voice GSM, that works perfectly, but eats batterypower for breakfast, so buy the 3400mAh battery to the Axim. Sound quality is excelent!

If you only want it for GSM Data/GPRS, I highly recommend it, no installation, just plug and play. Is extremely stabel, and don't use any batterypower when not connected. When connected, it uses very little batterypower.

I don't believe the Audiovox is in sale in USA, but I might be mistaken, where do you live?

bdegroodt
03-27-2003, 03:29 PM
Anyone know where can I purchase the Audiovox RT8000 ? or any other similar product ?

http://www.expansys.us/product.asp?code=RTM8000

maximus
03-28-2003, 01:57 AM
Thanks everyone.

I ordered the RT8000 from expansys site, seems that they are out of stock. Any suggestions on alternate sites ? I checked major online stores, no luck :?

bdegroodt
03-28-2003, 01:59 AM
Thanks everyone.

I ordered the RT8000 from expansys site, seems that they are out of stock. Any suggestions on alternate sites ? I checked major online stores, no luck :?

My guess is, possibly barring ebay, you'll find that most US sites have them "out of stock." They are likely imported into the US since they aren't technically available here.

maximus
03-28-2003, 02:12 AM
bdegroodt :

Yup. Spending the whole 3 hours yesterday surfing. no luck.

Just wondering, audiovox have such a nice niche in this market. No competitors, no alternatives. If you wanna go GSM with your PPC, then this is the only thing in the universe that will enable you. The only thing.

I think this is a conspiracy led by Handspring and XDA. :D

TopDog :

My job requires lotsa travelling. Currently, I am in Singapore. The city of electronics. But still, no luck with the Audiovox RT8000.
Any suggestion ?

TopDog
03-28-2003, 10:51 AM
TopDog :

My job requires lotsa travelling. Currently, I am in Singapore. The city of electronics. But still, no luck with the Audiovox RT8000.
Any suggestion ?
Yeah, come visit Norway :-)

I'll take you skiing in the hills ( www.topdogs.no ) and get you an RTM-8000 ;-)

maximus
03-31-2003, 02:26 AM
Ah yes. skying. Bring back old memories. I was tricked by a friend to accompany her to the top a skying course in Aspen, Colorado. Yeah, she was an expert in skying, and I dont know anything about skying.

The result is, it took us 3 hours to get back to the hotel, with several major bruises on my body, with an injured ego :oops:

Took me 3 days to finally being able to complete a sky course without additional bruises. Hey, that was the fastest learning curve I had. :)

Now, back to the GSM/GPRS expansion card. Instead of Audiovox, I run into fujitsu's connect2air GSM/GPRS card. Will this will fit into an AXIM ?

http://www3.primusonline.de/shop/info.asp?product_group=100&service_group=&product_code=809168&search_mode=&search_group=&fct=&search_str=CONNECT2AIR&sid=3351131618&aid=&retpage=/shop/search.asp&search_range=&from=catalog&search_order=

TopDog
03-31-2003, 05:50 AM
This is a WLAN-card, not a GSM/GPRS card!

It will fit in, but I don't know if the drivers are Fujitsu Siemens spesific (if the only work on LOOX). They should work, but this isn't a FS product, it's a Sandisk I believe, they just put the FS logo on to sell it with the LOOX.

maximus
04-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Gosh you are right. A wifi card indeed.

Maybe I am kinda obsessed about this GSM/GPRS card stuffs. Maybe I should get a longer sleep. Or perhaps skipping work tomorrow. :mrgreen: Especially with this SARS outbreak in asia. The ministry of public health has announced that "citizen are encouraged to avoid travelling and visiting public places unless really necessary" ... well, the virus killed 58 people already.