View Full Version : GPRS Blackberry to iPAQ 5450

Imageman
03-26-2003, 09:40 PM
Currently I carry around both my iPaq 5455 and my GPRS Blackberry.

Would it work to get a GPRS CF adapter, slip the SIM card from my Blackberry into that, and then start using that to recieve e-mail?

Or are there any other ideas?

I have the Verizon 1x system that I use with my laptop, and sometimes use a PC card adapter to connnect- but I find that it is just too bulky to use regularly.

bdegroodt
03-26-2003, 10:06 PM
Currently I carry around both my iPaq 5455 and my GPRS Blackberry.

Would it work to get a GPRS CF adapter, slip the SIM card from my Blackberry into that, and then start using that to recieve e-mail?

Or are there any other ideas?

I have the Verizon 1x system that I use with my laptop, and sometimes use a PC card adapter to connnect- but I find that it is just too bulky to use regularly.

Yes you could do that. Or you could just get a Bluetooth enabled phone and have a less bulky solution.

Curious to know why you are ready to get rid of the BB or is it just for consolidation's sake? Interested in selling it?

Imageman
03-26-2003, 10:10 PM
I am just looking to consolidate the two.

I can't sell the BB- its my companies, not mine.

Jeff Rutledge
03-26-2003, 10:53 PM
I'm not sure that would work. I don't think the iPAQ would know how to deal with the email data. I expect it would need software to do that.

If I'm wrong and you can it to work, do let us know. I may look into something similar. At least until I get PPCPE with the RIM software included (whenever that may be).

bdegroodt
03-26-2003, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure that would work. I don't think the iPAQ would know how to deal with the email data. I expect it would need software to do that.

If I'm wrong and you can it to work, do let us know. I may look into something similar. At least until I get PPCPE with the RIM software included (whenever that may be).

It will work. See this (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=RTM8000)

kfluet
03-26-2003, 11:45 PM

It will work. See this (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=RTM8000)

If this works, way cool!

The Audiovox phone card solves the voice/GPRS connectivity issue, but what about the proprietary RIM/Blackberry email software?

bdegroodt
03-26-2003, 11:55 PM
If this works, way cool!

The Audiovox phone card solves the voice/GPRS connectivity issue, but what about the proprietary RIM/Blackberry email software?

Well, that's where the rubber meets the road. A- The BB can stay "on" for days on end. Versus the Ipaq that can only stay on for hours (Probably a lot less than normal using a GPRS CF card.). As for drawing down the email, that's all configured through the normal PPC interface (I believe there are additional mobile modules available from MSFT to do some advanced "stuff" but in general, getting and sending email- no problem.).

Not sure how the network admin will feel about you opting to ditch the BB, but it's all doable.