View Full Version : Projectors with WLAN built-in

David27
03-26-2003, 09:05 PM
I was just at a local tech show today and talked to a Toshiba Guy that was showing off a TLP-T501U Projector that had a built in PCMCIA card slot for a WLAN card or even a PCMCIA Hard Drive. What I really liked was the fact that the e750s are supposedly shipping with the software needed to use them with this 802.11b projector. This guy was able to switch from using a Tablet PC to an e740 (one of the engineers gave him the software to install it on the e740) with the projector with no cables. I am hoping that the software will be made available for e740 owners. The next time I am in the marker for a projector I know that I am going to be looking for this feature. The projector was capable of using ad hock or existing infrastructure networks if an access point was available. Now I do not have to buy that $99 vga adaptor for my e740.

Just thought the use of the technology was interesting.

David

bdegroodt
03-26-2003, 09:20 PM
That's awesome! I had thought of this but using BlueTooth. Glad to see it's out there. One thing I always hated about using a projector (Portable) was the process of setting up all the cables. One less to set up is a good thing. Just plug it in, point at wall, focus and bore the audience with your PowerPoint :mrgreen:

David27
03-26-2003, 10:33 PM
One other point made was that you could store you Power Point presentation in a jpg format and save it to a PCMCIA Hard drive and run it off the projector with out a PC or PDA. But I thought the WLAN had more of a WOW factor.

David

Dave Beauvais
03-27-2003, 07:25 AM
At my last job, we had a Sony projector that actually runs Windows CE! The projector itself has an OS. You could visit Web sites with IE, display PowerPoint presentations, and view Excel spreadsheets without a computer. It had an internal wired LAN interface and a PC Card slot for storage or a wireless NIC. Very remarkable projector, but I'm sorry I don't have a link to it right now. The model number and product literature were some of the many things I was unable to keep after being downsized last year. You can access the projector via a Web interface for maintenance purposes, file uploads into its internal RAM, etc. Very cool!

Edit: Google to the rescue! :) We had the Sony VPL-PX15 (http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=zCLnr6murITn65csVo7tpOagSSf_NsPq7WY=?CatalogCategoryID=mQYKC0%2eNZF8AAAD0u3p5pCTO&ProductID=Gh0KC0%2eN3kAAAAD0EzB5pCTT&Dept=cpu), though they have a whole line of "Smart Projectors," with the highest-end one having a price tag of US$14,000. 8O (Press Release (http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/2970))

--Dave