View Full Version : Nearly bought an eBook today

Martin I Pettinger
03-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Hi

I nearly purchased "7 Habits" today however I downloaded an extract - and got things like "Seven Habits\a153" in the text and joined up words - i.e. "paradigmcomes from"

Hmm not sure I want to shell out money when the formatting is like this. The software I am using is Palm Reader V1.1.19. Tried changing the font size but problem remained. Font was Tahoma.

Martin

Weyoun6
03-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Where did you purchase this book? Are you sure it is for Palm Reader?

AMR
03-26-2003, 08:31 PM
My recommendation is not to waste your money. It comes across as the gospel of Stephen Covey -- a condescending, holier than thou approach to many things that are common sense. Are there good points to remember? Yes, but that's really all you need -- a reminder.

Martin I Pettinger
03-27-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi

I downloaded the extract from the following link:

http://www.palmdigitalmedia.com/book.cgi/1929494238

Rather than comment on my reading tastes I'd like some thoughts on why the e-Book seemed to have format problems.

What I'll try and do is beam the extract to a colleagues Palm and see how it views on that device.

Martin

PetiteFlower
03-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Do you have a Palm or a PPC? I tried to beam a file to a friend's Palm from my PPC and it didn't work; apparantly you can't beam cross-OS :)

Cracknell
03-27-2003, 05:37 PM
you should be able to beam from Palm to PPC for Palm reader content, since the PPC palmreader read palmreader's .pdb format.

I am not sure about the reverse direction 'tho.

PetiteFlower
03-27-2003, 06:24 PM
Well it didn't seem like the 2 devices were acknowleding each others presence at all, I didn't think it had anything to do with the format of the files as much as the general design of the devices....

Martin I Pettinger
03-27-2003, 06:51 PM
Hi

I have an iPAQ 3850 and a colleague has a Palm III and I could beam the pdb document to the Palm III just fine.

When we compared the documents they both displayed the same - so looks like a conversion problem.

I.e. italics and normal text run together and strange a153 comments on the Palm III too.

Martin

AMR
04-01-2003, 06:20 PM
Sorry. I meant no offense regarding the book or reading preferences. After all, I read it - TWICE!??!! One was for required work, years after the first reading.

Glad to hear that you are able to beam across PPC. I've had no luck with Palm due to copyright protection. Could this be an issue with some of the problems mentioned above? I have no issue with legitimate protection, but I'd like to share a book after finishing it. If there's a different format or source, I'd look at using it, too.

Martin I Pettinger
04-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Hi

Not too offended - lol. Just annoyed at the format of the sample. Maybe I can beam the document as it is an abstract not the full book. Bottom line is I am not paying money for what appears to be a poor conversion. I'll try and download some more tasters from the site and see how they display.

Martin