View Full Version : Casio Announces Industry Solution Pocket PC

Andy Sjostrom
03-25-2003, 09:27 PM
<a href="http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/cebit/it500/">http://www.casio-europe.com/euro/cebit/it500/</a><br /><br />Casio announced a while back ago the new Casio IT-500. It is based on the new Windows CE .NET operating system, the operating system that will power of the next version of Pocket PCs. However, Casio does not say whether or not this is in fact a Pocket PC or their own flavor of Windows CE .NET. Personally, I hope it is not another non-Pocket PC handheld based Windows CE. We need conformity in the platform and creativity in hardware and bundled software.<br /><br />"The new Casio IT-500 handheld is an outstanding tool for sophisticated industry solutions. This PDA-style flat MDE terminal features an Intel® XScale™ processor and Windows®-CE.NET 4.1 and offers practical data input and communication standards. In addition to the powerful processor and operating system, as well as its 64 MB memory, it also boasts the large, transflective SuperColor display developed especially by Casio for mobile use. This display delivers extremely high-contrast and true colours, even in sunlight. <br /><br />Depending on the model, the IT-500 also masters current data communication standards, such as IrDA, Bluetooth™ and wireless LAN in accordance with IEEE 802.11b. The device can read all current barcodes with its standard, integrated laser scanner. The IT-500 features an integrated radio module with microphone and loudspeaker. It can be used for world-wide voice-over-IP telephony via wireless LANs. One model variant has a digital camera to photograph signatures, entire labels and images – as quick as a flash. The latest generation of .NET-based handheld terminals will be available in four different models from March 2003."

rlobrecht
03-25-2003, 09:47 PM
This wouldn't be the first time Casio had released a non-Pocket PC handheld based on Windows CE. I suspect for vertical markets that the additions that the Pocket PC shell and apps brings doesn't add anything to the value, and may in fact detract from it (if they have to figure out how to remove things.) Develpers on the other hand have a tougher situation. They are now developing for a moving target. If each industrial handheld has their own custom os based on Windows CE, then developing apps will be a nightmare.

Peter Foot
03-25-2003, 09:57 PM
Ugh another "it doesn't quite fit properly user interface". While I understand that the Pocket PC platform is very tightly defined and more difficult for a company to customise for these sorts of applications, it really leads to a second rate user experience.

Whats really needed is some overall scheme of UI design which can be scaled and modified gracefully to work across the range of CE powered devices from smart-phones up to sub-laptops. I remember hearing that future versions of CE would include better integration in terms of common API's between versions I think this is ever more important with tools such as the .NET Compact Framework where we want it to be easier to write code which is portable and easier to maintain across different platforms.

Fishie
03-25-2003, 10:31 PM
RAM: 32 MB
F-ROM: 30 MB (useable)

Will T Smith
03-26-2003, 04:16 AM
There are wonderful alternatives to PocketPC applications.

Pocket Informant and others. It would be very feasible to do a CE.net device that relies on "replacement" applications instead of MS PocketPC or proprietary implementations.

JMountford
03-26-2003, 04:55 AM
This design or one very similiar seems to be a very nice concept and hopefully will find it's way to the Pocket PC.