View Full Version : Lefty ?

azur
03-25-2003, 08:40 AM
Is there any software for making the ppc 'lefty friendly' :wink: , ie change scroll bars in applications to the left.. maybe there is a tweak ?

Jason Dunn
03-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Nope. I'm a lefty and wouldn't want to change the UI, but I've seen this request before, so you're not alone. I wonder how many lefty's would want the option to have it change? What's ironic is the huge number of left-handed users on the Pocket PC team. :lol:

dh
03-25-2003, 04:16 PM
Nope. I'm a lefty and wouldn't want to change the UI, but I've seen this request before, so you're not alone. I wonder how many lefty's would want the option to have it change? What's ironic is the huge number of left-handed users on the Pocket PC team. :lol:

I'm a lefty and until I saw this thread I hadn't even thought about it. I guess I do have to adapt slightly and use the middle finger of my right hand to work the scroll button on my Axim. I assume rightys use their left thumb.

Thinking about it, I can see it would be nice if the scroll bars and the ok/minimize button could be on the left. It would be easier to get to quickly rather than having to reach over the screen. Like you Jason, I don't look at it as a big deal but if we had the option I'd try it out.

What do all you other leftys think?

Don Sorcinelli
03-25-2003, 04:18 PM
As another lefty, I had never given this a thought (until now). I guess a lifetime of scissors, school desks, can openers, mice and the like have numbed me to our "lefty plight". 8O

If we had the option of left-hand scrollbars, I'm not sure if the right half of my brain could cope. :wink:

DonS

Janak Parekh
03-25-2003, 04:47 PM
If we had the option of left-hand scrollbars, I'm not sure if the right half of my brain could cope. :wink:
Well, that's the thing. I'm a lefty, and I think I would find the scrollbar on the left inconvenient.

On the other hand, I'm not an "ordinary" lefty - I throw, mouse, and cut with my right hand. Mostly, I use my left hand for pen-centric tasks. :)

--janak

CTSLICK
03-26-2003, 07:06 AM
Well, that's the thing. I'm a lefty, and I think I would find the scrollbar on the left inconvenient.

On the other hand, I'm not an "ordinary" lefty - I throw, mouse, and cut with my right hand. Mostly, I use my left hand for pen-centric tasks. :)

--janak

See...I thought that same thing back in my Palm days. Then I tried out LeftHack and I started realizing just how often I was reaching across the screen. I ended up liking the left hand scroll bar...a lot. I really miss not being able to move the scroll bar to the left side. (but it would take a lot more than this issue to take me back the Palm side now :wink: )

Janak Parekh
03-26-2003, 04:56 PM
Perhaps. On the other hand, I've used desktop apps with the scrollbar on the left, and I hate it. Ah well, it's not on the top of my list of problems. :)

--janak

CTSLICK
03-26-2003, 05:33 PM
Perhaps. On the other hand, I've used desktop apps with the scrollbar on the left, and I hate it. Ah well, it's not on the top of my list of problems. :)

--janak

Youre right... I think would hate left hand scroll bars on my desktop...it would be weird using my right hand on left hand scroll bars.

PetiteFlower
03-26-2003, 06:21 PM
You also wouldn't have to reach across the screen on your desktop like you do on a handheld, right?

JvanEkris
03-27-2003, 10:37 AM
I'm also one of those people that is a lefty. Although i'm pretty OK with my right hand as well (i can write with my right hand as well, with no further detoriation of my handwriting :)). Although i am used to having the scroll-bar on the right (and my mouse etc.) it is quite a good idea to have it on the left side.

I use TomTom Navigator (a GPS application) that has the feature of moving it's zoom bar to the left side. I must say i quite like it. But what i like is the fact that my hand is not blocking my sight on my screen, what is quite handy when you zoom/scroll....

Jason, on the fact that a lot of lefties are on the PocketPC thoughts team, that is normal demografics. Lefties have more change of being more intelligent (or being completely nuts as well :)). It is a bit more polarized group with that respect. Recognizing the fact that no Joe Average will use a pocketPC yet, let alone make it to the Pocket PC thoughts team, you will understand that lefties have a better chance of getting there.

Jaap

Janak Parekh
03-27-2003, 04:43 PM
You also wouldn't have to reach across the screen on your desktop like you do on a handheld, right?
It's not like reaching "across" a handheld is a massive task, though... :D

And with the backlight/sidelight, covering the screen is not that much of an issue, IMHO.

Lefties have more change of being more intelligent (or being completely nuts as well :)).
Why not both? :lol:

--janak

PetiteFlower
03-27-2003, 05:21 PM
Lefties have more change of being more intelligent (or being completely nuts as well :)).
Why not both? :lol:

Aren't they basically the same thing anyway?

Janak Parekh
03-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Aren't they basically the same thing anyway?
Nope - there's a fine line. I think we lefty Pocket PC Thoughts posters have obliterated it, though. ;)

--janak