View Full Version : Processor Speed stuck at 400Mhz

bryant
03-25-2003, 02:35 AM
Hello:

A couple of days ago I noticed that I my Axim was eating up battery power much quicker than normal. Today I figured out that the problem seems to be that the processor is stuck at 400 Mhz and isn't adjusting itself when I'm not doing anything.

On the Power settings it is set to Auto and I haven't installed any overclocking programs. It will run at 400 Mhz even when no programs are running.

Any ideas?

--
Bryant

jd4science
03-25-2003, 02:59 AM
I'm not sure of the validity of this, but I heard with the axim that turning off the incoming beams locks the prosessor at 400. TO check go Start>Settings> Connections tab>Beam> and CHECK the "recieve all incoming beams and select discoverable mode." box. Hope that helps, Justin.

/.

Pony99CA
03-25-2003, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure of the validity of this, but I heard with the axim that turning off the incoming beams locks the prosessor at 400. TO check go Start>Settings> Connections tab>Beam> and CHECK the "recieve all incoming beams and select discoverable mode." box. Hope that helps,

On previous generations of Pocket PCs, they said you should turn the beam checking off to save battery life. It would seem odd if it worked the opposite way on the Dell.

Steve

TheBacklash
03-25-2003, 04:02 PM
it does seam odd, but I have heard that same IR drain problem on many websites.

It don't hurt to switch it back if in fact you did turn it off. you never know, it may work.

ux4484
03-25-2003, 04:16 PM
I have IR recieve turned off, and Power save forced. Except for a few games (or Resco photo explorer), there is really no large performance hit unless you have gobs of apps open.

PetiteFlower
03-25-2003, 04:21 PM
Yeah apparantly this was mentioned as a "known issue" a few weeks ago here. Give it a shot, maybe it will work. But I keep mine on power save a lot of the time unless I'm doing something that needs more power.

bryant
03-25-2003, 07:36 PM
I turned on the recieve beams option (had turned it off for my pocketop keyboard). The device did idle down to 200 Mhz. The test will be if it gets stuck again over the next few days.

It does seem like a very odd fix....

--
Bryant

PetiteFlower
03-25-2003, 07:38 PM
Pretty minor bug if you ask me :)

Janak Parekh
03-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Pretty minor bug if you ask me :)
The question is, why would the two have anything to do with each other? Does the IR receive somehow keep the processor "awake"? Pretty minor bizarre bug. :)

--janak

PetiteFlower
03-25-2003, 10:15 PM
Agreed there. Apparantly it was discussed extensively on aximforum.com(or whatever the site is) so I'm sure you could go over there and check it out :)

jd4science
03-26-2003, 04:08 AM
Wow! Iv'e had my axim 3 weeks and finally solved something! WOW! :D :wink: :D

QYV
03-27-2003, 02:03 AM
I've had my Axim 3 weeks and finally solved something!

It's all yours - I was getting a little tired of being the "IR processor speed" poster boy. :wink: