View Full Version : Short Ambicom WiFi Range

ozen
03-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Im having a problem with an Ambicom wifi card that I just bought like two days ago because Bestbuy had a rebate thing but anyway, the range will only go up to 53.3% and wont go any higher. Is anyone else having this problem? And how do I solve it?

Vincent M Ferrari
03-25-2003, 02:23 AM
Im having a problem with an Ambicom wifi card that I just bought like two days ago because Bestbuy had a rebate thing but anyway, the range will only go up to 53.3% and wont go any higher. Is anyone else having this problem? And how do I solve it?

1. Are there any obstructions between the router and the PPC?

2. Is there plumbing surrounding the room you're in?

3. Do you have a 2.4ghz Cordless?

4. Can you reorient the router's antennae?

Those were all things I investigated and adjusted for the first time I set up an 802.11b network and it all made a difference. And believe it or not, the 2.4ghz cordless phones may not cause direct interference, but they do divert the signal to a degree. Hey... Every little bit helps, and I hope this did... :wink:

TopDog
03-25-2003, 09:27 AM
Wich model do you have?

I have the old WL1100B and that one rocks! It has the best range I've ever seen.... crushes Socket and others.

But it's really HUGE and sucks pretty much power if you cannot use powersaving mode :-(

ozen
03-25-2003, 09:38 PM
I have the WL1100C but what i mean is that the software that comes with the Card has a part that says Signal Strength and it will only go up to 53.3% and no higher. I dont think it has anything to do with the router because even when its Scanning it only says 53.3% and when it links to a router the Signal Strength still stays at 53.3%.
Does that explain it better?

TopDog>>> what does the Powersave do? When I turn it on it still uses the same amout of Power.

ozen
03-25-2003, 09:41 PM
BTW its just got the CF Card not the router