View Full Version : HP iPAQ h2200 Series Gets FCC Approval

Jason Dunn
03-24-2003, 10:43 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/HP_iPAQ_h2200_Series_Gets_FCC_Approval' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/H...ts_FCC_Approval</a><br /><br /></div>"About a month ago, a rumor surfaced that Hewlett Packard was in the process of developing the iPAQ h2200 series Pocket PC. The FCC has granted permission for the release of these devices, which will offer built-in Bluetooth wireless networking and SDIO support. At this point, it appears that there will be at least two models in the h2200 series, one of which will have integrated Bluetooth and one which won't. Bluetooth is a short-range wireless networking standard used to allow devices to connect together without wires. It's frequently used to allow a handheld to use a mobile phone as a modem to connect to the Internet. An increasing number of Bluetooth-enabled devices are coming on the market, such as GPS receivers, hard drives, and keyboards. <br /><br />The screen used with the h2200 series will be a transflective TFT LCD with 64K-color support. It will have .24-dot pitch and 240 by 320 pixels. These will be dual slot devices offering a CompactFlash slot and an SD/MMC slot which will have SDIO support. SDIO will allow these slots to handle peripherals besides just memory cards. This includes wireless networking cards, digital cameras, presentation tools, and more. It is not yet known if this series will be a part of the SDIO Now! program."

MitzEclipse
03-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Depending on the size of this PPC, this could be the PPC that I will actually keep using!

I've used so many different PPC's and Palms in the past -- I just need the integrated Bluetooth!

Anyone have any more detailed pics of this device other then the one on Brighthand? Possibly one comparing the size of the 2200 to the 1910?

JonnoB
03-24-2003, 11:40 PM
Good news: dual slot device
Bad news: no integrated cover.

Didn't the iPaq design team learn anything from the Jornada?

Daniel
03-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Well, the Compaq iPaq team no longer exists and they killed the Jornada, perhaps they messed up and ended up with noone from either team? ;)

Daniel

Macguy59
03-24-2003, 11:50 PM
Man, I hope the design changes before it goes into production. That's just ugly. I have no great love for the Axim design either, but I would take it over the 2200. :roll:

Paragon
03-25-2003, 12:10 AM
An Ipaq with a CF slot........when did hell freeze over?? :)

Dave

Paul P
03-25-2003, 12:26 AM
Man, I hope the design changes before it goes into production. That's just ugly. I have no great love for the Axim design either, but I would take it over the 2200. :roll:

I think it looks good, especially the metallic area around the d-pad, which looks exactly like the d-pad on 545x. More pics here:

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/oet/forms/reports/Search_Form.hts?mode=Edit&form=Exhibits&application_id=221651&fcc_id=NM8GREATWALLA

bbarker
03-25-2003, 12:30 AM

I agree. An integrated cover is mandatory. It makes absolutely no sense to not include one.

The Jornada cover easily removable on the Jornada for those who wanted to use a case and didn't want the cover. And many of the popular Palms have had covers. Why doesn't any current Pocket PC have one. I just can't understand it.

One theory: the iPaq team won't design a cover because Jornadas had them. They're suffering from NIV (not invented here) syndrome and don't want to do anything that suggests the Jornada team had any good ideas. Of course, this attitude is at once arrogant and stupid. Someone at HP needs to get with it. They've deigned to give us a CF slot and abandon the bulky sleeve concept. Now give us a cover please.

JonnoB
03-25-2003, 12:50 AM
Doesn't look like there is a rocker switch either (unless I am blind).... I know everyone loves to scroll ebooks using just the dpad.

Sslixtis
03-25-2003, 12:52 AM
This thing looks ALOT like the Jornada from the back. Especially the stylus holder. I wonder why they didn't slap a cover on the thing???

hdsalinas
03-25-2003, 12:54 AM
I read somewhere on Brighthand that it was suppossed to feature the new PPC OS but reading the manual available at the FCC site, it looks like it will be introduced with PPC 2002.

Design wise, I can see why people dont like it, but I am sure that as we get used to it, we will begin to see it in a different light. I did not like it at first but now I think I do.

Now if they could price it for less than 350, it would make it a perfect device. (good features, great screen, dual slots, good size, wireless, all adds up for a killer device)

Hector David Salinas
Honduras

bbarker
03-25-2003, 01:01 AM
Now if they could price it for less than 350, it would make it a perfect device. (good features, great screen, dual slots, good size, wireless, all adds up for a killer device)
They almost have to price it close to that, given the Axim's pricing and similar features. Bluetooth and 64MB user-accessible RAM (does it have that?) would be worth a bit of a premium over the Axim, but not more than $50 to $100.

They'll need a price differential vs. the 1910, so it will have to be around $400 or they'll have to lower the 1910's price. That's for the higher-end, Bluetooth model. The non-Bluetooth model should be around $350. Or lower both models, and the 1910, by $50 each and compete better against the Axim.

They can keep the larger iPaqs as expensive as they want. I've never cared for their form factor.

Again, they must add a flip-up screen cover to the 2200.

kagayaki1
03-25-2003, 01:04 AM
I will stick my neck out here a little and say that I'm glad they didn't put a cover on this thing. While I do agree that there should be a slim cover option, I don't think it's necessary to burden those that prefer other options for covers with a built in one.

Yeah, I know, the old Jornada one used to be removable, but I guess you could go either way.

It seems to me that if all the PPC OEMs are not putting covers on the PDAs, there must be a reason.

··metaCOREtex··
03-25-2003, 01:27 AM
i posted pix of it here:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10540&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

njoy!

huangzhinong
03-25-2003, 01:41 AM
It Does has a slim cover, but it is on the back of unit. :D

snowlion
03-25-2003, 02:00 AM
Looks like this is more jornada than ipaq.

Sheynk
03-25-2003, 02:18 AM
does it have an integrated keyboard... that would be nice! :alfdance:

Crystal Eitle
03-25-2003, 02:21 AM
It looks better than the Axim, but it's not as pretty as my 1910!

:soapbox: Why do all the iPaqs (except the 1910) have to be assymetrical? If you look, you'll notice the screen is slightly left of center with regard to the unit as a whole. So there's a narrower strip of metal on the left and a wider one on the right. Why can't they center the screen? This is an assault on my aesthetic sensibilities!

Paragon
03-25-2003, 02:25 AM
This thing is tiny 4.5"h x 2.75"w x o.63" Two slots and this form factor are great. Somehow I don't think HP is going to give it one of the other important things.......Price???

Dave

Will T Smith
03-25-2003, 02:26 AM

They didn't show or mention a cover. That doesn't mean it won't be there.

That having been said, despite the obvious need I doubt it will be their. The Compaq designers have never been masters of the obvious.

porpackage
03-25-2003, 02:32 AM
Does anyone know if the LCD screen is 3.5 inches or 3.8 inches??? I cant seem to find the specs for screen size...

Paragon
03-25-2003, 02:37 AM
Does anyone know if the LCD screen is 3.5 inches or 3.8 inches??? I cant seem to find the specs for screen size...

Given the overall size of the device, I would imagine it will be 3.5"

Dave

crashdau
03-25-2003, 02:42 AM
Ok...maybe I missed it!
It looks like the size is comparable to the 1910...like that!
Good on the RAM, 64 User Accessible? - Good
Cover? -- Still out on that.

Second most important to price...

When will be out for user acquisition?????

adamz
03-25-2003, 02:46 AM
Why do all the iPaqs (except the 1910) have to be assymetrical? If you look, you'll notice the screen is slightly left of center with regard to the unit as a whole. So there's a narrower strip of metal on the left and a wider one on the right. Why can't they center the screen? This is an assault on my aesthetic sensibilities!

Symmetry is for squares.

This "iPAQ".. if we can even call it that, looks to be nothing more than your average everyday rectangular PDA. I don't know about you people, but my hand isn't shaped like a table. :)
Too bad it can't use expansion packs.
(Still waiting for the H5600 w/GSM/GPRS)

jojo
03-25-2003, 02:47 AM
It looks better than the Axim, but it's not as pretty as my 1910!

:soapbox: Why do all the iPaqs (except the 1910) have to be assymetrical? If you look, you'll notice the screen is slightly left of center with regard to the unit as a whole. So there's a narrower strip of metal on the left and a wider one on the right. Why can't they center the screen? This is an assault on my aesthetic sensibilities!

My observatoin is that space is being reserved for the stylus silo plus any other mechanism that may require space on the side of the screen. i suppose they can make the "frame" on the left side wider to balance out, but it would make the unit wider... "oh no, another 5mm to the width" :wink:

neverless it's a good machine, still have reservation about the small battery though :? the whole point of an intergrated CF slot is to plug my 512Mb CF full of MP3 in it.. but what's the point if the battery only last half a day and can only play half my songs :(

Jonathan1
03-25-2003, 03:31 AM
Two words: butt ugly

I think I will get a 1910 now. The size shape and design are beautiful. All HP had to do was refine it with a better CPU, battery, and memory and it would have been perfect. It may have bulked it up a tad but still the design alone would have made it worth the purchase. Leave it to HP to mess with a good thing. :roll:

huangzhinong
03-25-2003, 04:11 AM
This thing is tiny 4.5"h x 2.75"w x o.63" Two slots and this form factor are great. Somehow I don't think HP is going to give it one of the other important things.......Price???

Dave

It is almost same size as Jornada 568(1cm shorter, same w and h, same weight without battery). It is not so tiny if you are Jornada user, just my thoughts. H1910 is really tiny.

hulksmash
03-25-2003, 04:20 AM
I think it looks pretty cool. Funny though, how some are afraid of change, in design, features, etc... Seem to be a lot of complainers whose first reaction is to rant a bit... My opinion: with Capellas gone, HP is now in full charge of the design integration of the iPaq and we are witnessing its metamorphasis into a design more closely approximating the Jornada.
:jawdrop: :rofl: :jester: :werenotworthy: :boohoo: :twisted:
I think the design is more professional-looking, and with the integration of compact flash back into the design, I betcha we'll see mor expandability like a 2MP camera, etc since compact flash slots have up to now, barely stratched the surface of their possibility for expansion devices. Even Sony is integrating CF slots into their CLies, although their proprietary-tendencies have forced them to disable their ability to be used for memory expansion and restricted it exclusively to expansion devices.

AhuhX
03-25-2003, 04:22 AM
Damn.. the Jonada was way too big for me, so looks like I'll be after something 1900 sized. Pity.. dual expansion is big plus.

Quite a few people were saying the 1900 was ugly when it first arrived too. Might take a bit of time for this one to settle in.

Paragon
03-25-2003, 04:29 AM

Dave

It is almost same size as Jornada 568(1cm shorter, same w and h, same weight without battery). It is not so tiny if you are Jornada user, just my thoughts. H1910 is really tiny.

This is much smaller than the HP560. The HP560 is 5.20 x 3.01 x 0.68 in It is almost 3/4" shorter and over 1/4" narrower. Those are pretty big numbers when describing a PPC. :)

The 1910 is 4.46"h x 2.75w x 0.50" That makes the 2200, and the 1910 almost the same size.

Dave

Jonathan1
03-25-2003, 04:40 AM
I think the design is more professional-looking, and with the integration of compact flash back into the design,

To some of us size is more important then any type of cool gizmo you can add. (With the exception of memory.) Personally I couldn't care less about GPS, a camera, a radio, a barcode scanner, etc. I want something extremely thin. It looks as if HP is ditching the thinking in the 1910 for expansion. Which makes me question how well the 1910 was/is selling.

If it is selling well you would think they would keep the form factor.

AhuhX
03-25-2003, 04:50 AM
This is much smaller than the HP560. The HP560 is 5.20 x 3.01 x 0.68 in It is almost 3/4" shorter and over 1/4" narrower. Those are pretty big numbers when describing a PPC. :)

The 1910 is 4.46"h x 2.75w x 0.50" That makes the 2200, and the 1910 almost the same size.

Dave

Yay! The old HP560 was horridly large IMHO. I'm excited again. :D

huangzhinong
03-25-2003, 04:58 AM

Dave

Dave

My Jornada 12.8*7.5*1.6 cm
H2200 is 11.43*6.985*1.6 cm

I can't tell the big difference even in PocketPC(Much shorter, thanks to the small battery).

jornadaholic
03-25-2003, 05:09 AM
maybe im the only one who noticed this but IT HAS 64 MEGS OF ROM AND RAMi think that a first for ppcs correct me if im wrong any way i think ive finnaly found a good enough replacement for my jornada now if we could just get a bigger battery :rock on dude!:
http://members.aol.com/rkelcz/64mrom.jpg
i also just noticed that next to the ram were it says 64 it also says 46 i hope this doesnt mean 46 megs user accessible that would be a real downer for this device

hulksmash
03-25-2003, 05:18 AM
I think the design is more professional-looking, and with the integration of compact flash back into the design,

To some of us size is more important then any type of cool gizmo you can add. (With the exception of memory.) Personally I couldn't care less about GPS, a camera, a radio, a barcode scanner, etc. I want something extremely thin. It looks as if HP is ditching the thinking in the 1910 for expansion. Which makes me question how well the 1910 was/is selling.

If it is selling well you would think they would keep the form factor.

Funny you should say that, since expansion via compact flash and sd flash sd/io does in fact, bring the size down quite a bit from the "sled" option. If you want small size, the solution is already on retail via the 1910. Point is, that people like you who want smaller size is exactly what probably prompted this decision to depart away from the "sled" expansion design. However, you can't have everything and disenfranchise the larger segment of the PPC market whose industries require a PPC with expansion capabilities to serve multiple industries. Let's not be short-sighted and focus on one aspect of convenience when to do so will sacrifice the majority of marketshare, which is a fact of business. :deal:

Oh, and incidentally, the 1910 is a huge hit, but the 2200 is probably a move to keep their product line diversified, not create another PPC to serve as a "bridging" device for people who are borderline palm-device users like you may or may not be. Hope this helps. :roll:

··metaCOREtex··
03-25-2003, 07:00 AM
maybe im the only one who noticed this but IT HAS 64 MEGS OF ROM AND RAMi think that a first for ppcs correct me if im wrong any way i think ive finnaly found a good enough replacement for my jornada now if we could just get a bigger battery :rock on dude!:
the 64MB ROM & RAM will only be for one of the units [there are 2 different FCCid's: greatwallA & greatwallB], only greatwallB has that spec .. chances are that the rumors of one being 200Mhz [greatwallA] and the other being 400Mhz [greatwallB] are true ..

i also just noticed that next to the ram were it says 64 it also says 46 i hope this doesnt mean 46 megs user accessible that would be a real downer for this device ..
my guess is that the 46 is the stated user accessible [until someone has the unit, it will be a mystery] ..

David Johnston
03-25-2003, 09:10 AM
Chances are the MS PocketPC design team have requested that PPCs don't have covers... one of those silly, minor 'style' things that MS so often force upon manufacturers.

There are good reasons behind such decisions, in terms of marketing, advertising, recognition and design. They probably have a term saying something like "no external entity obscuring the screen at any stage in the products use-cyle" - by having a clear, obvious screen on all PPCs, they become obviously recognisable compared to say, Palms.

I too think more PPCs should have flip-covers... my Jornada wouldn't be here if it weren't for its cover saving it on more than one occasion.

carphead
03-25-2003, 09:50 AM
If it's got a CF and SDIO. I'm in the queue. :)

Now all I have to do is wait for Expansys to have it on pre-order :)

penpen
03-25-2003, 10:16 AM
IS there any information on pricing?

ok, it's hp, it's expensive :devilboy:

Andy Whiteford
03-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Personally I think it looks good but that's just me. Many Jornada influences like the rubber side strips and the stylus lifted from the back of the device. The little touches make the difference. I think from first impressions, HP are doing many, many things right with this device.

I would love it if the cradle works similar to the existing Jornada cradle i.e. simple to insert and remove the device with one hand.

I have two concerns. Battery capacity and a cover. Especially with internal Bluetooth, a larger battery would be a bonus although I concede that this may be the trade off for dual slots in such a small form factor.
I really want an included screen cover. This is probably the biggest reason why my Jornada 565 is still the device I carry with me on a daily basis even though I have other devices I can use. The screen cover just makes it much more practical. No need for a case which keeps the overall size down and it also means you don't have to remove a case prior to synching and replace before you leave the house. It may be a small reason but it is valid for me.

It will use PXA255 although it would be great if this was the first device released using PPC2003 or whatever the OS would be called. Wasn't the Jornada 56x series the first PPC2002 devices released? Sorry for the Jornada references but I can see the influences in this new Pocket PC.

I hope HP are monitoring these threads.

dMores
03-25-2003, 11:36 AM
am i the only one who thinks that plastic flip-covers make a pocket-pc look cheap?

anyway, i am amazed that there will be an iPAQ with cf + sdio.
but it's looks don't really impress me.

*keepingmyloox*

g.arcinotti
03-25-2003, 12:01 PM
I'm waiting from so much time for a good new PPC with integrated Bluetooth radio and now HP give me an answer.
I only hope that the prize will be good :?:
But I think that they wanna sell more devices against the good price policy of Dell.
Let's wait for more infos.
Bye

Giuliano

FredMurphy
03-25-2003, 12:06 PM
Too bad it can't use expansion packs.
I think a CF type II slot is as good as any expansion pack and without the extra bulk. A flip cover would be good but never mind. (Guess what PPC I used to own - a 568 :)). I'll hang on to see what HP next high-end model is like, despite the fact there's a lot wrong with my current 5450.

I'm guessing we should expect a few more FCC leaks fairly soon too as most manufacturers will want to be getting something out to coincide with the next OS. :D

pschultz
03-25-2003, 02:47 PM
love it if the cradle works similar to the existing Jornada cradle i.e. simple to insert and remove the device with one hand.

If you look at the pictures here: https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=312454&native_or_pdf=pdf, the cradle looks like the current ipaq's (most resembling the h5400 series).

Paragon
03-25-2003, 02:56 PM
Something I don't quite fully get here. HP is apparently abandoning plans for a cellular device. They say due to the size of the device. This device is about the same size as the 1910, a very nice size for a phone/PDA, and it has a CF slot in it, that til now HP/Compaq have refused to put in an Ipaq. The space requirements for the radio, and processor I am quite sure are less than the CF slot????

Does anyone else out there agree that this would be a killer converged device even if it just had the SDIO slot? Maybe they could fit 2 SD slots in it as a converged device?

Dave

Andy Whiteford
03-25-2003, 03:07 PM
am i the only one who thinks that plastic flip-covers make a pocket-pc look cheap?

Need to be honest, the flip cover wasn't a consideration when I bought my Jornada and I didn't even think I would use it. Now I see it as one of it's best design features. Just my opinion.

Timothy Rapson
03-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Good News (compared to current models and the Axim/E750 competition)

Dual Slots, both peripheral capable
Bluetooth and/or WiFi models
Much smaller than current sleeved models
Good screen for brightness and color
Probably better battery life than current due to savings in new processors
Switchable batteries

Neutral News
If $400 as expected, a wash on price, right between Toshiba and Dell
No sleeves. This is both good because it is smaller; bad, because it looses peripherals; and neutral, because this is what everyone else is doing.
The new OS which is an almost complete unknown. What MS does with the OS may make or break the new models. I have heard everything from a whole new ball game to nothing new but a rotating screen.

Bad news
Probably smaller than current screen
No increase in resolution
Smaller battery than Axim
The speaker is on the back
Ugly

The dumbest of all. I expect that they will again have no screen protection for a $400 investment, while Royal gives it to anyone buying a $20 Excellsior or whatever it is called. This again just blows my mind (and I don't have much of a brain to spare guys!)

Timothy Rapson
03-25-2003, 03:22 PM

*keepingmyloox*

Do, you know, I think you have it.

I can't believe I never thought of this. Here all us current users can see the usefullness, but MS and the OEMs are only seeing that most PDA buyers are new to it and looks are what sell, not practicality. They don't know until they start using it that it needs a lid. But, by then MS and Co. have already sold them.

Ken Mattern
03-25-2003, 03:33 PM
A Jornada by any other name... :ppclove:

Andy Whiteford
03-25-2003, 04:15 PM
And no bad thing either!
Here is hoping it had a flip cover, I noticed in one pic that it has small holes in exactly the same place the current Jornada has for it's flip cover.

Regarding the smaller battery and the new cpu, sure the PXA255 does consume less power but the biggest power draw by far on a Pocket PC is the screen and backlight. A larger battery would still be beneficial, especially when using Bluetooth as well.

It's amazing all these comments coming out when we still don't really know that much about the device. Hopefully HP are reading though..

Ramin
03-25-2003, 04:19 PM
i also just noticed that next to the ram were it says 64 it also says 46 i hope this doesnt mean 46 megs user accessible that would be a real downer for this device

Well, the iPAQ h1900 series only has 46MB RAM which is user accessible... so, I wouldn't be surprised if the h2200 had similar specs.

Something I don't quite fully get here. HP is apparently abandoning plans for a cellular device. They say due to the size of the device.

If anything, HP would probably need to abandon its plans because a converged device would probably not be able to deliver acceptable standby/talk-times that users have come to expect from regular cell phones. Even the O2 XDA loses out in this area, and that device doesn't even have Bluetooth integrated or CF/SDIOexpansion capabilities (which are power hungry).

I've noticed that the HP newer iPAQs (h1900/h2200) only come with 900mAh batteries which IMO are just too small for a converged device. Even my Sony Ericsson T68i has a 700mAh battery. I think converged Pocket PC devices aren't going to be truly effective without slim sized >=2800mAh battery (assuming battery technology improves quickly). Hopefully, the newer XScale PXA255 & PXA26x processors will also live up to the hype (and deliver a truly power-saving solution where the PXA250 had failed). Until then prematurely released converged Pocket PC devices will stand to disappoint many.

Paragon
03-25-2003, 04:20 PM
This device very well could have a lid. If you remember back to the HP560 the fact that it had a lid wasn't really reported til it started to ship or very close to that time. All the pictures of it up till that point never showed it with the lid on it.....&lt;fingers crossed>

Dave

Paragon
03-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Something I don't quite fully get here. HP is apparently abandoning plans for a cellular device. They say due to the size of the device.

If anything, HP would probably need to abandon its plans because a converged device would probably not be able to deliver acceptable standby/talk-times that users have come to expect from regular cell phones. Even the O2 XDA loses out in this area, and that device doesn't even have Bluetooth integrated or CF/SDIOexpansion capabilities (which are power hungry).

Yeah, I guess that's why Samsung, Hitachi, HTC, and several others have all abandoned the idea as well. :)

BTW, the battery life on the XDA is quite impressive for a PPC. I think this is only solidified buy the extemely poor sales of the extended battery for it. NO one needs it!

Dave

Ramin
03-25-2003, 05:09 PM
Yeah, I guess that's why Samsung, Hitachi, HTC, and several others have all abandoned the idea as well. :)

BTW, the battery life on the XDA is quite impressive for a PPC. I think this is only solidified buy the extemely poor sales of the extended battery for it. NO one needs it!

You mentioned that the battery life on the XDA was impressive for a PocketPC... but I don't think that's relevant since we're discussing a converged solution. And here's why...

As an ex-XDA user I was very disappointed with the standby/talktime of the device... that I had to carry a back up phone just in case! :? For me, the XDA was a poor cell phone replacement and therefore an inneffective converged solution (since I was back to carrying a separate cell phone & PDA).

As a PocketPC, the XDA had nothing special to offer... it could only marginally outperform my iPAQ H3870 in terms of battery performance (but then again the iPAQ had 64MB RAM, Bluetooth and was more versatile thanks to its expansion sleeves).

Well, I've not seen Samsung & Hitachi's devices perform, so I'll reserve judgement - but have you also noticed that none of them (HTC, Samsung, Hitachi) have Bluetooth integrated, or SDIO functionality?

If I'm to invest in a converged solution once more, I'd expect a no nonsense device that performs well as a phone and as PDA. And I think HP would rather deliver such a solution, than to release a half baked attempt.

(BTW- Apologies for going slightly off topic on this thread... :oops:)

JMountford
03-25-2003, 05:35 PM
There are so many comments on this thread, but not much being said.

I have to say I think this device looks nice. To me it seems that the iPaq and the Jornada did the nasty and here is their child.

Good size nice looks. I am with Space Waitress on the asymmetry of screen placement. That has always bugged me!!

Oh a lid a lid, what a bunch of whiners. I couldn't care less either way, but there always has to be something to complain about. Oh it has such a small battery Get over it. I am sure the battery will be effective for the device other wise HP would choose something else. Not to mention hey guys!!! Final specs are prone to change into real final specs.

I say the big picture is that there may finally be a device that is not a clone PPC. Here is a device with dual slots, the only other one is a Loox and we can't get it in the states through normal channels.

I am just annoyed at how much people bitch and moan wanting a new device. People gripe that oh it looks like all the other devices, and then here is something different with some great specs, and the griping starts again..

OY!!!

brntcrsp
03-25-2003, 05:41 PM
anyone else notice that the speaker appears to be on the back of the device? What?

Andy Whiteford
03-25-2003, 06:03 PM

I have to say I think this device looks nice. To me it seems that the iPaq and the Jornada did the nasty and here is their child.

Good size nice looks. I am with Space Waitress on the asymmetry of screen placement. That has always bugged me!!

Oh a lid a lid, what a bunch of whiners. I couldn't care less either way, but there always has to be something to complain about. Oh it has such a small battery Get over it. I am sure the battery will be effective for the device other wise HP would choose something else. Not to mention hey guys!!! Final specs are prone to change into real final specs.

I don't think people are bitching about the lack of things, more people seem to be speculating what could be shipped and what the potential downfalls are. A lot has been made of the battery capacity of the h1910 and the h2200 has the exact same battery but also includes BT, well known for reducing battery life. I don't think it's unfair for people to voice opinion that a larger battery will benefit the user.

As for a flip cover, because of the similarities with the Jornada, many people are hoping it will come with a cover. Is this a crunch decision making factor? Probably not but still a very good design choice that only really seems to be truly appreciated by people who already use a PDA with built in flip cover. Don't flame me for saying that, I'm not suggesting other people can't see the benefit or that all users of say a Jornada must have this. To me it's a great feature which is entirely optional to the user if utilised.

I certainly won't be whining (and can't see how anyone can until the final specs are released) if it's not included but it would be good and it's important that people post their initial impressions to hopefully help shape the final product.

Either way, I'm looking forward to this new Pocket PC.

guinness
03-25-2003, 06:15 PM
I think it looks nice, looks like a cross between the Axim and an Ipaq. Integrated BT sounds like it's going to become standard fare for most new PPC's. The only thing that I find somewhat weak is the size of the battery, 900mAh is even smaller that the battery on my Ericsson T60, I think that only gives me a couple days of standby time if I'm on a digital network. Having the speaker on the back seems like a poor decision too, but most speakers on these devices don't sound that good to begin with,

Paragon
03-25-2003, 06:37 PM

Quit your whining! :)

Oh a lid a lid, what a bunch of whiners. I couldn't care less either way, but there always has to be something to complain about. Oh it has such a small battery Get over it.

Call me a whiner I don't mind..... I fail to see the reason for putting so much effort into making a small device like this, and the 1910, that people rave about the size of, then have to put it in a bulky case in order to protect the screen, when a lid is much more effective, and can be removed when not neede or wanted.

Dave

Timothy Rapson
03-25-2003, 06:39 PM

... it seems that the iPaq and the Jornada did the nasty and here is their child. ....

what a bunch of whiners.

I guess we are spoiled whiners. Imagine what the original CE owners of Phillips Ninos would give for something like this.

On the other hand, we whine about the lids, you whine about the asymetric screen.

I whine,
you whine,
we all whine, for.........the big bucks stuff we spend our tons of money on anyway. :mrgreen:

Will T Smith
03-25-2003, 07:05 PM
... My opinion: with Capellas gone, HP is now in full charge of the design integration of the iPaq and we are witnessing its metamorphasis into a design more closely approximating the Jornada.
:jawdrop: :rofl: :jester: :werenotworthy: :boohoo: :twisted:

If the Compaq boys are no longer calling shots, that's truly good news.

I think that Dell's Axim has lit a fire under H-Paq's ass. Without strong competition in the enterprise space the woefully impractical iPaq design would be allowed to prevail.

Now, let's just HOPE they add a $.25 piece of plastic (cover) so we don't have to buy $50 leather cases.

Will T Smith
03-25-2003, 07:09 PM

Hmm....

If you look at the wholes pictured above, they look like attachment points for a backpack style expansion system. In other words, instead of wrapping around the device (which hamstrings form factor), it hangs of the back.

LIKE A JORNADA!!!!!!!

Will T Smith
03-25-2003, 07:18 PM
Chances are the MS PocketPC design team have requested that PPCs don't have covers... one of those silly, minor 'style' things that MS so often force upon manufacturers.

There are good reasons behind such decisions, in terms of marketing, advertising, recognition and design. They probably have a term saying something like "no external entity obscuring the screen at any stage in the products use-cyle" - by having a clear, obvious screen on all PPCs, they become obviously recognisable compared to say, Palms.

I too think more PPCs should have flip-covers... my Jornada wouldn't be here if it weren't for its cover saving it on more than one occasion.

This is pure conjecture. And likely, BS as well. MS is in the business of selling OS licenses not devices. They don't have to worry about someone else's bottom line. That's why they rake in the cash.

EVERY generation of Joranda device had a screen cover (some were transparent). Ipaq even INCLUDES a "cover pack" that they advertise (though it doesn't work with jackets and is VERY ACKWARD compared to a flip up design).

Do you think that they also exert pressure on smartphone manufacturers to not do FLIP PHONE designs because it would obscure their artwork.

BTW, isn't it a good practice to obscure the contents of your palmtop from prying eyes??????

AND, BTW the best selling handheld manufacturer (Palm) INCLUDES A COVER IN EVERY PACKAGE. i.e. they make it practical and easy.

Beyond all that the Jornada (and palm for that matter) covers have always been REMOVEABLE. So I don't know why all you iPaq apologists keeping ragging on a cover as a desirable feature. If you don't like it just take it off, it doesn't require a toolset. It's a couple of plastic nub wholes combined with a plastic cover. Thats it... It's so freakin' simple, easy, cheap and practicle (even for those who choose to dissattach it)!!!!!!

Will T Smith
03-25-2003, 07:25 PM

*keepingmyloox*

The Jornada's did not look cheap (well maybe the purple "bond" jornada). Yes, the cover-packs do look a bit cheap.

The Joranda 54x and 56x and 57x didn't look cheap my any stretch of the imagination. They were professional looking devices that had very nice lines that makes the Vaja cases look bulky amateurish.

You really shouldn't be amazed about an iPaq with cf + sdio. From all appearances, this is a Jornada with an iPaq label, not an iPaq. I'm looking forward to it's introduction to the market. Though, I believe that Dell is not since they were pouncing on iPaqs outrageously juvenile boy-racer design in the enterprise market.

Andy Whiteford
03-25-2003, 07:43 PM
Not sure how the speaker on the back will fare but if it's to help keep the size down, I'm all in favour of it. I normally have the sound turned off anyway and if I want to listen to music, it's strictly headphones. Even with the speaker opening on the back, I'm sure the sound will be audible enough for the likes of reminders and alarms which is really all a Pocket PC speaker is adequate for.

Johan
03-25-2003, 08:19 PM
Man, that's really UGLY!!

ctmagnus
03-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Personally, I prefer the 3600/3700/3800/3900/5400 form factor because of the expansion packs.

I'd consider getting one of these if the labels were all printed like this. It's ghetto! :pimp: 0X

xiadix
03-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Maybe I am just weird, but I like the way it looks. If the price isn't over the top, I think I just found a replacement for my 3650. There are only a few things that I am looking for: CF, and Bluetooth.

The other devices that had those either had too much extra, or just didn't work for me. I don't want a cell phone or Wi/Fi built in, they are too new and are going to be going through many changes, I would rather loose a slot than have to buy a new device to keep up with the standards.

KEvG

Kacey Green
03-25-2003, 10:12 PM

... it seems that the iPaq and the Jornada did the nasty and here is their child. ....

what a bunch of whiners.

I guess we are spoiled whiners. Imagine what the original CE owners of Phillips Ninos would give for something like this.

On the other hand, we whine about the lids, you whine about the asymetric screen.

I whine,
you whine,
we all whine, for.........the big bucks stuff we spend our tons of money on anyway. :mrgreen:

You read my mind as an owner and still current user of the phillips nino 320! I can't wait for a good set of features and memory (Need CF & sdio) and a price that isn't too expensive the 1910 almost had me but lacked the conectivity and expansion/memory needed and the ram should not be shared it should be fully accessible to the user. only solution was the 545x but it was too expensive.

Eitel
03-25-2003, 10:21 PM

Hmm....

If you look at the wholes pictured above, they look like attachment points for a backpack style expansion system. In other words, instead of wrapping around the device (which hamstrings form factor), it hangs of the back.

LIKE A JORNADA!!!!!!!

Those holes are for the GPRS add-on. :)

jeff
03-25-2003, 11:14 PM

LIKE A JORNADA!!!!!!!

No, they're speed holes. They make the PDA go faster.

Timothy Rapson
03-26-2003, 03:09 AM
]

No, they're speed holes. They make the PDA go faster.[/quote]

Like the portholes on the 1950s Buicks? Cool!

Wonder how red flame decals would make it go?

bbarker
03-26-2003, 08:34 AM
Oh a lid a lid, what a bunch of whiners. I couldn't care less either way, but there always has to be something to complain about.
Then it doesn't matter to you. It does to me. I'm not whining; I'm simply stating what is important to me in PPC design. Twice I shattered the screen on one of the Cassiopeias I owned. Until a new PPC is available with a flip-up screen cover I'll probably continue using my Jornada 568. I'd love one of the new, brighter screens but the cover is more important functionally.
I say the big picture is that there may finally be a device that is not a clone PPC. Here is a device with dual slots, the only other one is a Loox and we can't get it in the states through normal channels.
Hmm...I thought the Dell had dual slots.

bbarker
03-26-2003, 08:37 AM
This device very well could have a lid. If you remember back to the HP560 the fact that it had a lid wasn't really reported til it started to ship or very close to that time. All the pictures of it up till that point never showed it with the lid on it.....&lt;fingers crossed>
Good point. I don't remember any HP ads showing a Jornada's cover. They always removed it for ads. Still, you would think they would show the cover in that photo with all the accessories if it came with one. Maybe HP will see this discussion and it's not too late for them to add a cover. Probably just wishful thinking, though. If they do see the thread they may be surprised how much people preferred the Jornada's design and professional look.

bbarker
03-26-2003, 08:52 AM
The main reason I'd want Bluetooth in a PPC is so I could use it with a Bluetooth-enabled cell phone. I'd rather than than an integrated solution. That way I get a better cell phone and a better PDA, IMO.

mac
03-28-2003, 04:39 PM
Well, the Compaq iPaq team no longer exists and they killed the Jornada, perhaps they messed up and ended up with noone from either team? ;)

Daniel

You got it wrong. The iPAQ team is alive and well... it's the Jornada team that got the boot, together with their product.

bbarker
03-29-2003, 12:36 AM

Daniel

You got it wrong. The iPAQ team is alive and well... it's the Jornada team that got the boot, together with their product.
That's what I thought.

smueller
03-29-2003, 01:50 AM
Does anyone know when the H2200 will be out? In month? In three months? And what are they going to call the new pocket pc os? Pocket PC 2003?

Oh yea, and one of the reasons I am waiting for the H2200 is for the integrated bluetooth. At my College, they have "hot zones" where you can hook up a wireless device to the internet if you have 802.11b wireless adapter. Is bluetooth part of this, compatible with this, or what?

bbarker
03-29-2003, 03:43 AM
Oh yea, and one of the reasons I am waiting for the H2200 is for the integrated bluetooth. At my College, they have "hot zones" where you can hook up a wireless device to the internet if you have 802.11b wireless adapter. Is bluetooth part of this, compatible with this, or what?
Bluetooth and 802.11b may be used at the same time but they don't talk to each other. They're separate technologies intended for different purposes.

With an 802.11b card in your Pocket PC you can access the Internet when you are in range of an access point, or hotspot. You'll get theoretical speeds up to 11mbps and range of up to 300 feet (but usually quite a bit less).

Bluetooth is a much slower and shorter range technology designed to connect devices such as phones, PDAs, computers and printers.

Kevin Daly
03-29-2003, 07:46 AM
A Jornada by any other name... :ppclove:

Actually, I think the 1910 was more Jornada-esque, despite not having compact flash.
The overall styling, the little light in the top centre, were very reminiscent of the 560 series.
IMHO.

Paul P
03-30-2003, 05:58 AM

This is pure conjecture. And likely, BS as well. MS is in the business of selling OS licenses not devices. They don't have to worry about someone else's bottom line. That's why they rake in the cash.

I would disagree. While I am not inclined to agree that Microsoft is behind this, I would say that they are very much involved in the hardware aspect one way or the other. I also think that they do care about the bottom line of their clients, in so far as it affects their bottom line. Microsft derives its revenue from hardware manufacturers. If HP is not doing well, you better believe Microsoft's long-term prospects will be hurt.

LorryDriver71
04-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Two things I NEED to know...

When can I buy this PPC and how much is it gonna cost me?

I guess no one knows but what are your guesses for when it'll be out, with-in a month???