View Full Version : Will ipaq accessories become cheaper?

jhc
03-24-2003, 11:57 AM
Dear all:

I wonder if the ipaq accessories will become cheaper. Especially for the jackets like CF Plus and PC Plus.

I am a new user of 3970 and I have been thinking about buying an extra jacket with battery. Can anyone tell me if the accessories price will go down? Is it possible for HP not to make so much money on the accessories? The list prices now are way too high for me.

By the way, can anyone tell me where on the web can I get reasonable priced ipaq jackets?

Thank you so very much.

Alex

SassKwatch
03-24-2003, 02:16 PM
I doubt anyone's crystal ball can accurately predict the future pricing of iPAQ accessories. But I would advise against holding your breath waiting for a significant price drop.

There are alternatives to the HP branded sleeves......MemPlug and Nexipak are a couple.

Pony99CA
03-24-2003, 04:56 PM
I am a new user of 3970 and I have been thinking about buying an extra jacket with battery. Can anyone tell me if the accessories price will go down? Is it possible for HP not to make so much money on the accessories? The list prices now are way too high for me.

Let's see if I've got this right. You can afford a 3970, but not a $99 CF Plus sleeve, so you want HP to reduce their profit margin so you can buy one. Did I summarize that accurately? :?

By the way, can anyone tell me where on the web can I get reasonable priced ipaq jackets?

Have you checked any of the price comparison sites (http://www.garlic.com/~svvg/svvglink.html#SHOPPINGCOS)? Have you checked eBay (http://www.ebay.com)? A simple eBay search on ipaq sleeve gave me 79 hits, while searching on ipaq jacket gave me 19 more. I found an old-style PC Card sleeve (not the Plus version, but it does include an internal battery) being sold for $9.99 (plus $10 shipping).

Steve

jhc
03-25-2003, 04:04 AM
Thank you Steve:

Yes, you summerized it right. However, I do not live in US. Ipaq accessories are more expensive than those in US. If I order from the web and have the company send it by international delivery, the extra shipping and handling costs are expensive. And I found that some companies do not even provide shipping services to Asia.

Thank you for your information about "price comparision sites". It is very helpful and I will check web sites thoughly.

The way I think is if anyone can tell me that the price will drop according to his/her long time experience in ipaq accessories, I can wait since I am not that desperate for the jacket now. If veteran users tell me that the prices have never dropped since the products came out and predict the prices may not change for a while according to their "experience", I might just go ahead and buy it and have fun since waiting is useless.

By the way, about the old style PC card sleeve(not the Plus version, but it does include an internal battery), how is it different from the new style? Any drawbacks? Does old style mean old battery and old battery mean short battery life?

Thank you very much.

Alex

nosmohtac
03-25-2003, 06:15 AM
By the way, about the old style PC card sleeve(not the Plus version, but it does include an internal battery), how is it different from the new style? Any drawbacks? Does old style mean old battery and old battery mean short battery life?

Alex

By old style PC card sleeve he means that the battery is not user replaceable (well not quickly anyway). Compaq or HP quit making this syle and went to the plus style which allows you to buy extra jacket batteries to take with you on a long airline flight for example. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I don't think there was much difference in battery life from the old style to the new style. But, you can do a search on ebay and compare the specs on the two styles there.
Even if the battery life was half you can't beat that price

Shadowcat
03-25-2003, 06:26 AM
In addition, the Plus sleeve has a screen cover, unlike the original one. I don't think I've ever seen the prices of accessories go down, but I may be wrong.