View Full Version : How to wirelessly network an e740 toshiba pocket pc

tachishoben
03-24-2003, 06:24 AM
I have this question. I am trying to setup a new toshiba e740 pocket pc to connect wirelessly to a linksys access point router and 4 port switch. I know alot about networking, setting up routers etc., but have never done this. I am very familiar with nat and need to share a cable connection with a desktop pc. I am obviously having trouble setting it up or I wouldn't be asking the more experienced how to do it. Here is what I have done, and tell me if I have done it wrong(probably)! 1. I set a new ssid in the routers interface, input the addresses for wan ip, dns gateway, etc. on both the desktop and the pocket pc. Now just about all that happens is I can see that I have connection with the router and can see the new ssid I created but no wan connection. Any ideas? Pleas help!
John :cry:

Pony99CA
03-24-2003, 08:10 AM
I have this question. I am trying to setup a new toshiba e740 pocket pc to connect wirelessly to a linksys access point router and 4 port switch. I know alot about networking, setting up routers etc., but have never done this. I am very familiar with nat and need to share a cable connection with a desktop pc. I am obviously having trouble setting it up or I wouldn't be asking the more experienced how to do it. Here is what I have done, and tell me if I have done it wrong(probably)! 1. I set a new ssid in the routers interface, input the addresses for wan ip, dns gateway, etc. on both the desktop and the pocket pc. Now just about all that happens is I can see that I have connection with the router and can see the new ssid I created but no wan connection.
I think I had the same problem when I got my new laptop last week. I could see my other machines on the LAN, and I could access the Internet with every machine but my new one, but my new one couldn't ping outside my LAN.

If you did what I did, you put the IP address of your ISP's gateway into the gateway setting on your PC (and Pocket PC). That's the problem; the gateway to enter is your router's IP address, not your ISP's gateway. Changing that fixed my problem and I'm using my new laptop right now. :-)

Steve

tachishoben
03-24-2003, 04:11 PM
8O You are the mother freakin' man, that is absolutley right, I forgot that the router is supposed to have 2 addresses, "one for the wan side" and that is what must be input into the pocket pc.
Thanks! I will try it and see, I'm pretty sure that is it. :mrgreen: