View Full Version : Welcome To The All-New Q&A Feature!

Janak Parekh
03-24-2003, 06:30 PM
There's been an increasingly loud clamor for a FAQ-like feature here at Pocket PC Thoughts. While we're still working on ideas to develop a true FAQ system, I thought it would be cool to kick off a weekly question & answer column.<br /><br />I'll be tweaking the format over the next month or so, but for now, feel free to post Pocket PC-related questions in this thread. (Feel free to ask both newbie and advanced questions -- this is for everyone, not for just the advanced users.) I'll pick one and either write up or cite what <i>I</i> feel is a good answer and post it on Friday, at which point other users are welcome to chime in; finally, we'll repeat this on a weekly basis.<br /><br />All of these questions and answers will be archived in the new Q&A front page forum, and hopefully we'll build up a useful archive for everyone. :) Let's get started! (One question per person, please.)

toshtoshtosh
03-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Q: How many cycles does it take the PXA255 to swap the data in 2 registers?

hdsalinas
03-24-2003, 06:45 PM
When is the new PPC os coming out?

:mrgreen:

Craig Horlacher
03-24-2003, 06:46 PM
wow, counting clock cycles!?!??! What game are you writing?!?! I hope someone on thoughts works for intel.

Anyway, my question should be easy compaired to that. I have an e125 and I'd like to get an 802.11b card for it. Will that card require drivers (which would need to be mips making them hard to find) or will it just work? Does anyone have an 802.11b card in an e125? Thanks!

surur
03-24-2003, 06:47 PM
Hi...

I have a problem with loosing the GPRS connection between my FSC Loox 600 and my T68i on the UK Vodaphone network. I think it happens after I suspend the PPC. The Bluetooth connection is still maintained, but after being initially able to browse the internet, I'm usually not able to reconnect after a suspend.

The only way to sort it is usually a soft reset, and sometimes I even have to take the batteries out of my T68.

Any ideas would be appreciated. It is driving me up the wall not being able to access the BBC news pages more than once.

Thx
Surur

dud
03-24-2003, 06:51 PM
What was the last anyone heard of the H5400 series GPRS model from HP. As they've been really quiet about it recently and ther has been a lot of roumers that its been canned.

Anyone know?

Guy

ledowning
03-24-2003, 07:39 PM
I have an HP Jornada 568 with a Linksys 802.11b CF card installed. At the office, over a wireless LAN, I can synchronize the Pocket PC to my desktop with ActiveSynch with no problem. I can access network files as well. How do you set up Pocket Ie to work over the wireless network? I can't get this portion to work at all.

Thanks

Iznot Gold
03-24-2003, 07:41 PM
I know this is a questons thread but for Surur....

I have a problem with loosing the GPRS connection between my FSC Loox 600 and my T68i on the UK Vodaphone network. I think it happens after I suspend the PPC. The Bluetooth connection is still maintained, but after being initially able to browse the internet, I'm usually not able to reconnect after a suspend.

The only way to sort it is usually a soft reset, and sometimes I even have to take the batteries out of my T68.

Dear Surur,

I had a similar problem when I was travelling abroad with my Ipaq 3870 & T68 & Vodaphone. If you ring vodaphone helpline, they have a GPRS dedicated helpline and the tech guy I spoke to there was really helpfull. The solution was a little complicated but involved something like: Switch T68 off remove battery, remove SIM card, wait for 15 mins, re-insert, replace battery, do new network search, select Vodaphone.....can't remember exact sequence but it would be worth contacting Vodaphone GPRS helpline.

Regards
David

Iznot Gold
03-24-2003, 07:53 PM
Now for my question.....hmmmm are these supposed to be frequently asked questons...that there is an answer to?

The two that keep re-appearing and I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to are: -

1. The alarm / reminder not operating issue. &

2. Bluetooth partnerships & BT synching issues.

Oooops :oops: that's 2 questions....but I don't think there's a definitive answer to 1.

Regards

David :wink:

Simon Hughes
03-24-2003, 07:57 PM
For some reason, lately my iPAQ 5450 has started to sync as "Guest" almost all the time. I have a devil of a time to get it to sync properly. I have deleted the partnership and recreated it, I try soft resets, restarting (as well as re-installing) ActiveSync (3.6), rebooting XP-Pro but most of the time it insists on coming up as Guest.

When it does sync properly, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason as to why it has done so.

Any suggestions?

Simon

surur
03-24-2003, 08:31 PM
Thx Iznot Gold

I had set it up without speaking to vodaphone, only using guides on the internet. Maybe its time to *horror of horrors* :devilboy:

call the helpline!

Thx

Surur

yawanag
03-24-2003, 08:43 PM
I get this message each time I sync: Backup failed to copy the following files. Please unlock the program that may be using these files and try again.

The file they're talking about is Pop3:Deleted Files

I downloaded two programs to try and delete these files. I had about 7, but still one comes up with that message each time I sync. What can I do to get rid of it?

The two programs I used are 1) CE Database Utility and 2) Remover. They ask if I am sure if I want permanently delete them. I say, yes, but I get it back when I sync. Anyone know why?

stonepro
03-24-2003, 08:48 PM
:roll: Can you please make it in a format that's (easily) viewable from PIE? And while you're at it, can you update the Forum to format nicely on my PIE?

Thanks! :wink:

pschultz
03-24-2003, 08:54 PM
:roll: Can you please make it in a format that's (easily) viewable from PIE? And while you're at it, can you update the Forum to format nicely on my PIE?

Yes! I would love to have the forums formatted for PIE!

Tim Allen
03-24-2003, 09:22 PM
A lot of new Pocket PCs seem to come with NAND memory. How is this different to other types, how does this impact speed, what you can store in it, etc?

pocketpcdude1024
03-24-2003, 09:57 PM
:roll: Can you please make it in a format

that's (easily) viewable from PIE? And while you're at it, can you update the Forum

to format nicely on my PIE?

Yes! I would love to have the forums formatted for PIE!

There have been more than enough hints that suggest that mobile forums will be a paid feature in the future.

As to the FAQs, I was thinking that since FAQ means Frequently Asked Question that device specific or perephrial specific questions aren't true FAQ questions.

Also, I think that to attract a more general user base (perhaps users that aren't really into Pocket PCs, that the questions should be questions that perhaps some of us know, and some of us don't. For example:

What is SDIO compared to SD storage, and is SDIO worth extra money?
What is the difference between serial and USB on Pocket PCs, and what limitations do client-only interfaces bring?
How does built-in WiFi differ from external WiFi accessories in terms of range and power consumption?

Jordan Rosenwald
03-24-2003, 10:13 PM
What 802.11b cards (PC Cards AND Compact Flash) work with iPAQ 3800 & 3900 series?

Programmer
03-24-2003, 10:32 PM
How can I completely disable the hardware buttons on my iPaq 1910? I am tired of battery drain when the 1910 gets turned on when a button gets hit while in the case or my pocket.

:evil:

Robert

markvan
03-24-2003, 10:44 PM
I recently upgraded to a iPAQ 5450 from a Casio E-115. On my Casio I could change the font of the today screen to a smaller size, but on the iPAQ the same registry hack doesn't seem to do anything. I think it may be an OS thing.

Does anyone know how to change the font size on the today screen on the PPC 2002 OS?

Cheers
Mark

Nambo
03-24-2003, 11:35 PM
What 802.11b cards (PC Cards AND Compact Flash) work with iPAQ 3800 & 3900 series?

The PocketPCThoughts store has a wide selection of 802.11 cards here:

http://www.mobileplanet.com/private/pocketpcthoughts/listing.asp?cat%5Fid=902&cat%5Fname=Pocket+PC&pdept%5Fid=900102&dept%5Fid=5040&dept%5Fname=Wireless+LAN

Weyoun6
03-24-2003, 11:54 PM
What are the equivalent programs for someone transfering from palm to pocket pc?

i.e. DateBk = Pocket Informant
Vexed = Irked

Tom W.M.
03-25-2003, 12:18 AM
I seem to have seen this question asked several times:
How do I get a network/internet passthrough connection with ActiveSync?

Thank you for the listening! :rock on dude!:

bbarker
03-25-2003, 01:07 AM
Q: When will the mobile version of the forums be available? Something I read here had me expecting them sometime in the past week or so. How close are they?

bbarker
03-25-2003, 01:08 AM
Q: How can I sync with my desktop computer via ActiveSync over a wireless network? PIE and email work fine over the wireless network but I can't get it to sync since I rebuilt my PC.

PeterLake
03-25-2003, 01:54 AM
Q. What are PocketPCThoughts' semi-official top-5 must-have apps?

Mike Wagstaff
03-25-2003, 03:54 AM
How can I completely disable the hardware buttons on my iPaq 1910? I am tired of battery drain when the 1910 gets turned on when a button gets hit while in the case or my pocket.
Try installing PowerOff (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=1897) (free) and assign it to each of the buttons. It's an inelegant kludge, but it should do the trick.

baker
03-25-2003, 04:17 AM

:evil:

Robert

http://elevatedstudios.com/pocket/#KeyGuard try this?

Sheynk
03-25-2003, 04:20 AM
hey i dont really have a question but I'll post anyway! :lol:

Fzara
03-25-2003, 07:40 AM
Why does Activestink continue to SUCK, why does it contine to freeze on me after syncing', and when will the new PPC2003 OS be released!? I'M HUNGRY!

pocketpcdude1024
03-25-2003, 12:05 PM
hey i dont really have a question but I'll post anyway! :lol:

It's a great way to increase your post count! :lol:

Andrew
03-25-2003, 04:23 PM
I could only post in this thread by replaying - when I tried to do a new post, it said I had to be admin ?

Anyway, my question is this;

Why is it that an ipaq keeps switching itself on after being switched off? (3870)

Thanks

Andrew

roberto_torres
03-25-2003, 04:35 PM
I have the following question:

Is there a way to turn off clear type in MS Reader?

Also The following list of question could be good for the FAQ:

1. How can I move my MS reader activation to a new Pocket PC when I upgrade?
2. How can I install programs in a card instead of the default folder?
3. Is there a way to turn on ClearType in Internet Explorer?
4. How do I sync multiple folders in Outlook?

Thanks and If someone knows the answer to my questions please answer.

Roberto

Janak Parekh
03-25-2003, 04:51 PM
Guys, many thanks for the first round of questions! Since it's nearly 24 hours and I have enough for more than a month, let alone a week, I'll lock the thread for now. :)

--janak