View Full Version : Does your PPC turn on at midnight?

TTown
03-23-2003, 08:30 PM
I have had three pocket PCs now that turn on at midnight?
The Casio E-115, E-125, and now the Ipaq 3955! This is so frustrating to me. :devilboy: Does anyone else have this problem?

Steven Cedrone
03-23-2003, 08:56 PM
All Pocket PC's turn on at midnight, this is not a problem. Don't get frustrated, this is supposed to happen...

Steve

bdegroodt
03-23-2003, 11:54 PM
I'll expand on Steve's response as to why this mystery midnight activity happens.

The PPC turns on at midnight to check for appointments for the coming day. Reminders are set and the Today view is updated with the day's events. (Otherwise, the logic goes, that you would be asking your PPC to hold however many days worth of alerts in memory-not an efficient use of resources.)

Your device should turn off based on your configured power settings. If you have a program that automatically starts running when you power on the PPC (Music players come to mind), this will interfer with the power off expectations and cause your device to continue running (And scare the _ out of you as you are awoken from your deep sleep.)...So make sure you turn off any programs that are running and are set to run as soon as you power up to avoid dead battery in the morning.

Steven Cedrone
03-24-2003, 12:07 AM
The PPC turns on at midnight to check for appointments for the coming day. Reminders are set and the Today view is updated with the day's events. (Otherwise, the logic goes, that you would be asking your PPC to hold however many days worth of alerts in memory-not an efficient use of resources.)

Your device should turn off based on your configured power settings. If you have a program that automatically starts running when you power on the PPC (Music players come to mind), this will interfer with the power off expectations and cause your device to continue running (And scare the _ out of you as you are awoken from your deep sleep.)...So make sure you turn off any programs that are running and are set to run as soon as you power up to avoid dead battery in the morning.

What he said... :lol:

Steve

jeffmd
03-24-2003, 01:14 AM
my dell turns on but imedietly shuts back off. Now my task list is empty, so I imagin peeps with larger task list may have their ppc stay on longer, but I dont think its on length has anything to do with your power settings.

TheBacklash
03-24-2003, 02:40 AM
now the only problem is with the PPC turning on, is if it's sitting in the cradle, and you leave your computer on 24/7.
I do, and disconnect the ETH cable from the cable modem.... so of course It NEVER shuts off. Until I manualy shut it off in the morning.

Course you can disable the sync when the device is connected, but then you have to manualy sync when you want it too... annoying.

I don't leave the PPC inthe cradle at night anymore, if it needs a charge, I unplug the power from the cradle, and go directly into the Dell.

bdegroodt
03-25-2003, 02:59 PM
my dell turns on but imedietly shuts back off. Now my task list is empty, so I imagin peeps with larger task list may have their ppc stay on longer, but I dont think its on length has anything to do with your power settings.

The unit turns off or the SCREEN turns dark?