View Full Version : Extra 10% Off Dell Axims

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 02:25 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/products/series_pda_snp.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/produ...ies_pda_snp.htm</a><br /><br /></div>This is insane. Until the end of this month, Dell is offering a 10% discount <i>on top of</i> the $50 mail-in rebate. You can now get a 300MHz Dell for $174 and a 400MHz Dell for $264. Talk about killer deals!

Willmonwah
03-22-2003, 02:39 AM
If you asked me in January, I would have never believed that I don't have an Axim by now. I have a feeling the up and coming pocket pc's (and PPC phone editions) are going to be so much better, but.... AH.... could they possibly be cheaper than this, ever?

For me to buy the Axim (Adv.) now, I'd have to be assured that it would:
a) Be upgradeable to SDIO (not that important, as there's a CF slot to boot).
b) Be upgradeable to the new OS.
c) A third party keyboard isn't going to make me regret buying it from dell.
d) It lasts, as I'm not going to buy the protection plans.

As far an I'm concerned, all of the above are true.

But for some reason, I can't convince myself to ditch my Audiovox Maestro.

[Will]

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 02:48 AM
As far an I'm concerned, all of the above are true.
All are possible, but I'm skeptical on the SDIO. Still, it's not a major problem IMHO: you have a CF slot.

But for some reason, I can't convince myself to ditch my Audiovox Maestro.
By all means, wait until you feel comfortable, but the one problem with the Maestro is its subpar battery life. If you're OK with that, then it's not a bad unit at all.

--janak

dh
03-22-2003, 02:59 AM
I knew this would happen as soon as I bought one :cry:

Whatever way you look at it, the Axim is a fantastic deal. There is no excuse for anyone to back off from buying one.

I just hope that we can upgrade then to PPC2003 when the time comes.

bdegroodt
03-22-2003, 03:19 AM
It gets better if you can order today. An extra $40 off.

Read how here http://www.bensbargains.net/ktalk/1048265673,92811,.shtml

mc_03
03-22-2003, 03:48 AM
Arrgh! And NONE of these deals are available in Canada, making the Axim Advanced $600 CDN!!! :|

So much for a cheap Pocket PC!!! :evil:

Programmer
03-22-2003, 03:52 AM

Read further.. it seems to be either $40 off or 10%..but not both.

Robert

Foo Fighter
03-22-2003, 04:16 AM
Curse you Dell!!! How dare you offer so much for so little. :twisted:

Vincent M Ferrari
03-22-2003, 04:32 AM
Curse you Dell!!! How dare you offer so much for so little. :twisted:

How about how dare you offer so much after I just bought the damned thing! :lol:

Macguy59
03-22-2003, 04:48 AM
I wish it peformed better. I am a video junkie and the Axim does not do a good job with frame rates :(

Kaber
03-22-2003, 05:08 AM
IPAQS RULE! :twisted: :devilboy:

but for that price I think I'll buy the wife one.

PetiteFlower
03-22-2003, 05:40 AM
Bah on Ipaqs. Too overpriced to be competitive. The 1910 is small and cute but underpowered and underfeatured(and more $$ then the Axim), the 3900 series is comparable in features but less expandable(unless you want to spend big bucks on sleeves and make it even bulkier!) and a LOT more $$, and the 5400 series is for people with high security needs and deeeeep pockets only. The Axim is the regular person's PPC.

jngold_me
03-22-2003, 06:05 AM
The 1910 is small and cute but underpowered and underfeatured

You obviously don't own a 1910! I have owned several PPC's and with the exception of SDIO the 1910 is as capable as any PPC out there! The form factor and screen can't be beat! Plus the fact I got my 1910 for $199 makes it all the sweeter!

You can keep the Axim brick! And yes, I have actually held an Axim! I think the form factor alone makes the 1910 the "regular person's" PPC. Just look how many Palm V's palm sold just on the form factor alone. Look how well the 1910 is selling. However, if you absolutely need IO capability, then yes, a Axim is a good buy. However, there's always the V35.... :wink:

Willmonwah
03-22-2003, 06:17 AM
Plus the fact I got my 1910 for $199 makes it all the sweeter!

Wow... but how?

[Will]

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 06:20 AM
Wow... but how?
If I'd have to guess, it was during the insane Staples discount about 2-3 months ago.

BTW, let's not let this degenerate into a 1910-vs-Axim war, please? :)

--janak

paqguy
03-22-2003, 06:20 AM
Plus the fact I got my 1910 for $199 makes it all the sweeter!

Wow... but how?

[Will]

Staples was having a $50 instant rebate and $50 coupon from their website - some people (including me :D ) were able to get both coupons.

This deal was before Christmas - not sure if they or anybody else has had it lately.

crispeto
03-22-2003, 07:08 AM
If the 1910 had a wifi option, I probably would have bought one. Settled on the Axim instead and have never looked back. I love this thing!

Vincent M Ferrari
03-22-2003, 07:26 AM
If the 1910 had a wifi option, I probably would have bought one. Settled on the Axim instead and have never looked back. I love this thing!

You and me both :wink:

eternalblue
03-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Arrgh! And NONE of these deals are available in Canada, making the Axim Advanced $600 CDN!!! :|

So much for a cheap Pocket PC!!! :evil:

:mecry: i know your pain all too well

bbarker
03-22-2003, 08:20 AM
Neither the Axim or the 1910 is satisfactory because neither has a , flip-up screen cover. That's a requirement for me, and it would make sense on both of these models. Until one of the new models has one I'll be sticking with my Jornada 568.

jizmo
03-22-2003, 09:09 AM
I just hope that we can upgrade then to PPC2003 when the time comes.

Am I the only one who doesn't look that eagerly towards new OS? I think that it'll be like the PPC2002 upgrade: uses more memory (should use less), hogs more resources (should be faster and lighter to get more boost from the processor) etc. I'd want to think that it gives so much extra quality to the use of my PDA that the slowing down etc would be acceptable.

But I just believe that this won't be the case :?

/jizmo

Timothy Rapson
03-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Neither the Axim or the 1910 is satisfactory because neither has a , flip-up screen cover. That's a requirement for me, and it would make sense on both of these models. Until one of the new models has one I'll be sticking with my Jornada 568.

The Jornada got this right with every model. But, it is going backwards in the PPC world. The nice Jornada gets dropped and the lidless Ipaq kept (not to diss the Ipaq, sorry, just talking about lids.)

To get an Axim high end for $225! one might go "splurge" on one of these:
http://www.thepocketsolution.com/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PS-110&Category_Code=DA&Product_Count=4

for $25.

But, why can't Dell ship one with the Axim for the $1 it would cost?

Jonathon Watkins
03-22-2003, 03:11 PM
Yes, I got one of those to. It does the job and looks quite good.... BUT - it should have been a part of th AXIM in the first place!

It's still a loverly device thought! :mrgreen:

bdegroodt
03-22-2003, 03:15 PM

Robert

Bummer! It seems that the deal was only there for a bit of time. I was lucky enough to get it placed per the original deal mentioned on BB. Wasn't for me, but I was tempted to order one for myself as well. These things are getting cheap enough to start considering for gifts or extras (Like having some flashlights laying around the house/office, just in case.). :D

dhpss
03-22-2003, 03:45 PM
Apply for Dell prefered account first. You will get stakable additional 10% discount plus 3 month free interest...
I got mine for $230 delivered.

Crystal Eitle
03-22-2003, 07:17 PM
I was just lamenting this morning that I can't browse wirelessly with my iPaq 1910, especially since we have a brand-new wireless hub in the house.

I just bought my 1910 a month and a half ago for $300, but I am seriously thinking of getting an Axim so that I can put a wireless CF card in it.

All this so I can read blogs on my Pocket PC while eating my cereal in the morning. Am I insane????

And then, if I get an Axim, what do I do with my 1910?

Keep it?

Sell it?

Give it to my mom or one of my friends?

:confused totally:

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 07:17 PM
The Jornada got this right with every model. But, it is going backwards in the PPC world. The nice Jornada gets dropped and the lidless Ipaq kept (not to diss the Ipaq, sorry, just talking about lids.)
Not entirely true. The iPaq comes with a Cover Pack, and it's fully functional.

All this so I can read blogs on my Pocket PC while eating my cereal in the morning. Am I insane????
Yup. Join the club. :lol:

I like the "give to relative" idea. The alternative, more expensive solution is to keep both and to carry the 1910 when you don't have space for the Axim.

--janak

Crystal Eitle
03-22-2003, 07:42 PM
So is it worth shelling out the extra $$$ for the "advanced" version? I already feel guilty about buying a new Pocket PC so soon... just wondering if y'all think the 400 mHz Axim is a good value for the money.

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 07:48 PM
So is it worth shelling out the extra $$$ for the "advanced" version?
Heh... if you keep the 1910, then I think the "advanced" version is indeed a lot of $$ on top of your existing "addiction". On the other hand, the 64MB of RAM does make a pretty substantial difference.

--janak

PetiteFlower
03-22-2003, 08:24 PM
If you're happy with the amount of power that the 1910 has, then the 300m version will make you plenty happy. It has the same amount of RAM(more ROM) and the processor is even a bit faster. I have it and am happy with it :)

You can always Ebay the 1910 ;)

Crystal Eitle
03-22-2003, 09:06 PM
Whoa.

I think I had a temporary fever. I'm over it now. I'm going to hang on to my beloved 1910 for a while and wait until the much-rumored ipaq 2200 comes out.

Despite the wonderful price and features, the form factor of the Axim just does not appeal to me.

(Sorry for pulling this so far off-topic).

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 09:15 PM
I think I had a temporary fever. I'm over it now.
It's called "gadget addiction", and there's no cure; resistance is difficult. ;)

FWIW, it might be worth waiting until the SDIO rumors for the 1910, anyway.

--janak

dh
03-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Whoa.

I think I had a temporary fever. I'm over it now. I'm going to hang on to my beloved 1910 for a while and wait until the much-rumored ipaq 2200 comes out.

Despite the wonderful price and features, the form factor of the Axim just does not appeal to me.

(Sorry for pulling this so far off-topic).

SW, I thought the same thing. Having used a Palm Vx for years, the 1910 seemed the perfect PPC at first glance.

But thinking about it, I always carried my Vx in a nice Coach case that made it about the size of the bare Axim. Also having the two slots (I have a 256MB SD card in one and use my WiFi card in the CF slot) is just working out great.

I've also just ordered a 1GB CF card as well for music, pictures and (soon) movies. When you look at all you can do with an Axim, it does not seem so big at all.

It would be better yet to be able to do all this in the 1910 form factor though. (At the Axim price of course :lol:)

jngold_me
03-22-2003, 11:34 PM
and use my WiFi card in the CF slot

That's why I kept my Jornada 568. I usually ebay my old ppc's. Now I have the svelte 1910 as my carry-everywhere device and my 568 to connect to my home wifi setup.[/quote]

Macguy59
03-23-2003, 12:27 AM
I think I had a temporary fever. I'm over it now.
It's called "gadget addiction", and there's no cure; resistance is difficult. ;)

FWIW, it might be worth waiting until the SDIO rumors for the 1910, anyway.

--janak

That's what I'm hoping/waiting for.

Macguy59
03-23-2003, 12:31 AM
I was just lamenting this morning that I can't browse wirelessly with my iPaq 1910, especially since we have a brand-new wireless hub in the house.

I just bought my 1910 a month and a half ago for $300, but I am seriously thinking of getting an Axim so that I can put a wireless CF card in it.

Keep it?

Sell it?

Give it to my mom or one of my friends?

:confused totally:

Like Janek mentioned. . .wait for HP to release a patch to enable SDIO support for your (our) 1910. I think it's a good possiblilty we'll see one :D

dequardo
03-23-2003, 12:47 AM

Robert

Not true. I got both. 10% and $40 off. Just needed to bump the total above $350 to qualify.

Mike

bdegroodt
03-23-2003, 01:16 AM
Anyone that actually owns an Axim and has compared it to the iPaq care to comment on the size difference? I know it's bigger and I know it has the CF built in, but I'm curious to know just how much thicker it is versus the iPaq. Some of my friends that I've turned on to the Axim think it's plenty small, but they have cars and don't have to put their PDA in their pocket like I do.

Macguy59
03-23-2003, 03:01 AM
Anyone that actually owns an Axim and has compared it to the iPaq care to comment on the size difference? I know it's bigger and I know it has the CF built in, but I'm curious to know just how much thicker it is versus the iPaq. Some of my friends that I've turned on to the Axim think it's plenty small, but they have cars and don't have to put their PDA in their pocket like I do.

While I don't own an Axim, I did have the chance to play with one last week. Compared to my 1910, it's a good bit thicker and wider. As usual to each their own. Pricewise you can't beat it, but for me size is more important. I can put my 1910 in a shirt pocket and literally forget it's in there. (BTW the nice looking translucent blue case for the Palm Zire fits the 1910 perfectly). My other considerations are game play and watching video. The 1910 handles both well while the Axim drags. With the 1910 OC'd to 300mhz and the Axim OC'd to 500mhz, the 1910 blew it away in frame rates using PocketTV (25fps vs 19fps). Even in regular modes the 1910 had much better framerates and game play. One of the virtues of an Axim is battery life, but I think most people are never far from a charger of some sort so again not that big of an issue. And of course let's not forget the 1910 has THE best transflective screen on a PPC to date :wink

[edit] Sorry et all. I got a little carried away. Don't know if you remember the Casio E-115 but if you do the size of the Axim is somewhere between it and the Audiovox Maestro. Good luck with your choice.

Macguy59
03-23-2003, 05:36 AM
Check out this Axim review. About a third of the way down the page the reviewer shows the Axim and 1910 side by side. The size difference is pretty clear in the pic.

http://www.bargainpda.com/reviews/default.asp?reviewID=118

QYV
03-23-2003, 07:03 AM
Some of my friends that I've turned on to the Axim think it's plenty small, but they have cars and don't have to put their PDA in their pocket like I do.

I carry my Axim in my pants pocket every day. YMMV, of course, but it certainly can be done.

The only size comparison I've done is with my old iPAQ 3630. The Axim is almost exactly the same thickness, maybe a smidge over.

jngold_me
03-23-2003, 03:06 PM
I carry my Axim in my pants pocket every day. YMMV, of course, but it certainly can be done.

I bet all the girls say..."Is that an Axim in your pocket or are you just glad to see me!" :)

WindWalker
03-24-2003, 06:39 PM

Check out this comparison of size on the PDA Buyer's Guide (http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/dell_axim_x5.htm) and Pocket PC Passion (http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/dell/aximx5/X5-3.htm) for a good look...