View Full Version : Question: 2 different PPC devices on XP, any synch problems?

karthur
03-21-2003, 08:23 PM
My wife and I both have PPCs - mine an iPaq 38XX, hers a Dell X5. Right now my wife has her own XP profile and syncs her Dell with no problems. I will need to add my iPaq to my XP profile (probably requires reinstalling Activesync 3.6) on the same PC. We both run Outlook 2002.

Does anyone know of any problems that might arise from doing this? Tips? 8O

I am really concerned to do this without any feedback because I don't want to mess up my wife's perfectly running configuration. All input appreciated.

--nervous--

Pat Logsdon
03-21-2003, 08:44 PM
Good luck, my friend. ActiveSync is a harsh mistress. :worried:

Thankfully, my wife and I have our own computers, so we don't have to worry about this.

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 01:53 AM
Actually, it should run fine, and you shouldn't have to reinstall anything. The iPaq .INF files are already preinstalled. As long as the two of you have different Outlook databases, you should be set.

--janak

Dave Beauvais
03-22-2003, 07:11 AM
I've been wondering about something related to this, actually. What if you're running Win2K or XP and two users -- each with their own Pocket PC -- log into the machine as separate users with entirely different profiles. ActiveStink only seems to run when you're logged in as the user it was installed under. Since each user has his or her own profile in the workstation, they will, by extension, generally have separate Outlook profiles as well.

Is it just as simple as copying the ActiveStink command line to the appropriate run section of the registry for the second user or would I have to reinstall ActiveStink while logged in as the second user? I notice on my current setup, the AS PPC profiles and other files are located under \Documents and Settings\daveb\Application Data\Microsoft\ActiveSync, but no such directory structure exists for any other user profile on the machine. (AS was installed while I was logged in as "daveb".

As temperamental as AS tends to be, I don't want to experiment too much and am hoping I can draw on the experiences of others. :) Thanks!

--Dave

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 08:19 AM
Is it just as simple as copying the ActiveStink command line to the appropriate run section of the registry for the second user or would I have to reinstall ActiveStink while logged in as the second user?
It should be just the run statement. I must have forgotten that I did it for another user on my home computer. It seems to work just fine for me that way. :)

--janak

karthur
03-22-2003, 01:22 PM
Thanks everyone for your input. I will travel down the lonely road of Activesync and try it...I will let you know the results when finished.

TopDog
03-22-2003, 04:05 PM
My girlfriend got my old HP 548, and I got a Dell Axim, and we sync on the same XP Pro computer against our own outlook-profiles and it works perfectly. I've changed PPC's a couple of time (3630/E-200/3850/3970) while she's kept my old 548, and we've never experienced any trouble...

Dave Beauvais
03-23-2003, 05:50 AM
It should be just the run statement. I must have forgotten that I did it for another user on my home computer. ...Thanks for the info! I'll give that a shot and see how it goes.

--Dave

karthur
04-11-2003, 01:11 AM
My girlfriend got my old HP 548, and I got a Dell Axim, and we sync on the same XP Pro computer against our own outlook-profiles and it works perfectly. I've changed PPC's a couple of time (3630/E-200/3850/3970) while she's kept my old 548, and we've never experienced any trouble...

Sorry for the delayed feedback..just got back into town. It works perfectly! My faith in XP and Activesync is restored. The only thing I have to do to ensure my wife's axim sync's is to unplug the USB to the cradle when she logs in. A small concession and something I will probably seek to resolve.

Thanks to all for your admonishments and encouragement!!