View Full Version : iPAQ 3900 series and PCMCIA Expansion Pack

shekondar
03-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Has anybody noticed problems when using the PCMCIA Expansion pack (single slot) with an iPAQ 3900 series device? I've noticed that sometimes the iPAQ will stop responding completely when using the expansion pack -- the screen usually fades out partially and the iPAQ will not respond to any inputs. As soon as I remove the expansion pack it goes back to normal. I saw a similar problem once on a 3650, but it was caused by a dead battery in the expansion pack - the 3900s do this even if the battery is fully charged and connected to AC power.

I've also noticed that some expansion packs work better than others. Another site mentioned that there are two versions of the expansion pack - is this true? The dual-slot expansion packs don't seem to have these problems...

Don't Panic!
03-21-2003, 06:45 PM
I haven't had that problem myself. Of course now that I've read about it I probaby will. :lol:

Don't Panic!
Bobby

Dermot81
03-22-2003, 12:31 AM
The only times my 3950 freezes is occasionally when using pocket MVP and I hit next too quicky when playing from a playlist...Other than that my ipaq + expansion sleeve seem stable never had any problems.

Kaber
03-22-2003, 01:37 AM
What ROM version do you have (the number in the lower right corner when you reset the device)?

Janak Parekh
03-22-2003, 02:03 AM
I've also noticed that some expansion packs work better than others. Another site mentioned that there are two versions of the expansion pack - is this true?
Hmm. Your pack might be defective.

Regarding versions of the single-slot: yes, Compaq revised the PC Card single-slot Expansion Pack slightly to accomodate the Iomega Clik! drive, which is a type II card but uses type III rails. I think both are supposed to be compatible with the 3900.

--janak (3,000th post! :eek:)

shekondar
03-26-2003, 07:41 PM
An update...
The 3955 I have is ROM rev. 1.00. I've tried it with two different expansion packs (same iPAQ, same PCMCIA card) -- one pack works, the other doesn't. The one that doesn't work has a serial number starting with 4G08, the one that works starts with 4G13. I'm guessing that the "4G08" is the earlier revision (even though I can't see any difference between the two). The "4G08" expansion pack and PCMCIA card work just fine on an iPAQ 3650, so the pack itself isn't defective.

If anybody else out there has a 3900-series iPAQ and a PCMCIA expansion pack with a "4G08" serial number, I'd love to hear if you've had any problems similar to what I described earlier...

Don't Panic!
04-07-2003, 06:12 PM
I just checked my sleeve is a 4G14. I started late in the iPaq game (3835).

Don't Panic!
Bobby

skydancer
04-07-2003, 09:40 PM
hm can i ask you something apou the pccard jacket? i got mine a few days ago from an auction and i see that my 3850s main batery goes to 30 and the external batery goes only to 80 and then the ipaq displays the message that i havent got enuf battery! is there any software i must install so the ipaq can drain the same amount of power from both the bateries or the hacket has a problem?