View Full Version : Microdrive vs. Flash?

Icebaron
03-21-2003, 01:37 AM
Now that compact flash cards can be had in such large sizes, what are the pros/cons of using a 1GB microdrive VS a 1GB flash card.

A few types of things I'd like to know, especially if you have both, are power consumption, price, access speed, reliability, etc.

Janak Parekh
03-21-2003, 01:38 AM
Microdrives don't really have many advantages anymore. They are up to 30-40% faster in writes, but eat more power, are less reliable and are only type II. I wouldn't recommend a 1GB Microdrive at this point.

--janak

pocketpcdude1024
03-21-2003, 01:39 AM
Usually, the microdrive consumes more electricity because it has moving parts than the standard flash memory. However, the price is usually lower for the same capacity of card. Also, since flash memory has no moving parts, it is more reliable and faster to access. Get the microdrive only if you need a large capacity on a limited budget. :wink:

EDIT: Gah! The everpresent Janak! :twisted:

shawnc
03-21-2003, 02:12 AM
Icebaron,

I had this question a couple of months ago. I had just purchased a 1G MD when the 1G CF dropped to around the same price. I returned my MD, purchased a Sandisk CF, and have never looked back. Battery drain is SIGNIFICANTLY less and I haven't noticed a difference in response (though I only use it for MP3 playback).

If you're using it exclusively for your PPC, I can't think of one good reason to go with the MD.

If you don't get the response you were hoping for to your question, try a search on this site. There have been a few pretty exhaustive threads on this subject.

don dre
03-21-2003, 02:18 AM
At this point I would go CF for the 1GB card. I have a MD and love it but when I bought my MD for $225, CF was double that. The MD will be competitive again inthe fall when the 4GB card is out but for 1GB I'd go CF.

yschang
03-21-2003, 06:38 AM
I was contemplating about this for months!!!

But now the 1GB CF is out... My money is with CF.

But to be honest... a 1 GB SD will be even better...I could buy another PPC with that kind of money!!!!