View Full Version : V35 and storage cards

Mystery905
03-20-2003, 09:40 PM
What are people's experiences with SD/MMC cards in their V35's?

I tried both a Sandisk 64mb MMC and a Sandisk 128mb SD, and the 64mb is a lot faster!

i.e. loading Avantgo main screen takes 1/2 the time on the MMC than the SD...

Savings documents shows a noticeable difference also.

I do notice if I use the 'write protect' switch (to on) that Avantgo loads up much more quickly, but then I can't write to it which is pretty useless!

But SD is supposed to be faster than MMC! I have already re-formatted the SD (FAT16, 8K clusters) with no success.

I am currently e-mailing with Sandisk technical support. I think my SD might be somehow defective and hope they will send me a replacement.

Janak Parekh
03-20-2003, 10:24 PM
It's possible that the 128MB SD is just slower than MMC cards or larger SD cards. Anecdotal experience on this forums seems to back that possibility.

--janak

Mystery905
03-20-2003, 10:46 PM
It's possible that the 128MB SD is just slower than MMC cards or larger SD cards. Anecdotal experience on this forums seems to back that possibility.

--janak

But SD by its very nature is supposed to be faster than MMC! Are you saying it's possible that larger capacity cards are slower?

But I heard that 256MB and 512MB cards are supposed to be 5 times as fast as the 128MB and smaller....

Tripz
03-21-2003, 03:17 PM
I'm using a 256mb Lexar SD card and the speed seems ok. Although,
Sometimes i need the reset the v35 due to the whole thing running slow.

Mystery905
03-21-2003, 04:26 PM
I'm using a 256mb Lexar SD card and the speed seems ok. Although,
Sometimes i need the reset the v35 due to the whole thing running slow.

Do you store your Avantgo channels on the SD card? If so, how many seconds does it take before it starts to show the initial Avantgo channels?
Mine takes 4 - 5 seconds, then 2 - 3 seconds more to finish drawing.

Tripz
03-22-2003, 11:40 PM
I'm actually unsure where the advantgo channels are stored. it goes wherever it goes when it syncs with my computer ;) i didn't know u could specify where the channels are saved to. *shrugz* advantgo opens up in about 2 seconds

How much are the 512mb SD cards going for nowadays? and is there a 1Gig card out yet? My 256mb card is FULL with mpegs, mp3's, games and the memory in the main unit is almost full too =(

Tripz
03-22-2003, 11:41 PM
oh yeah....and also, u guys never have connection problems between u're v35 and computer?? just wondering...

Mystery905
03-23-2003, 01:50 AM
I'm actually unsure where the advantgo channels are stored. it goes wherever it goes when it syncs with my computer ;) i didn't know u could specify where the channels are saved to. *shrugz* advantgo opens up in about 2 seconds

How much are the 512mb SD cards going for nowadays? and is there a 1Gig card out yet? My 256mb card is FULL with mpegs, mp3's, games and the memory in the main unit is almost full too =(

By default it goes to \windows\avantgo\.....(main memory)

If you use a registry editor, do a find on 'AVANTGO' and change the value of the key to point to \sdmmc disk\avantgo or to \my flash disk\avantgo if your flash disk has enough space free. (you have to create the avantgo folder on the disk).

Up here in Canada, 512mb SD's are almost $500.00 cdn. I think they will fall drastically once the 1 gig SD's come out in a few months.

For digital audio, you may want to rip at 64 kbps WMA format which is almost as good as 128 kbps MP3 format, and save almost half the space the songs would have taken up.

Mystery905
03-23-2003, 01:52 AM
oh yeah....and also, u guys never have connection problems between u're v35 and computer?? just wondering...

I had major problems getting the initial connection after I bought it. I had to run v35uninstall from the support site and then it let me install the USB drivers from the CD.

Sometimes (rarely) it doesn't connect, so I disconnect and reconnect in the cradle. If that fails, then I do a soft reset and it's fine.

Does yours ever turn on by itself in the cradle sometimes when your PC is on?

Tripz
03-23-2003, 03:06 AM
Does yours ever turn on by itself in the cradle sometimes when your PC is on?

yeah! and it also turns on by itself sometimes when NOT in the cradle.
what gives??

Thanx for the info on the audio files, i'll try that out!

Janak Parekh
03-23-2003, 03:07 AM
what gives??
Go into ActiveSync on the Pocket PC, in the Options screen/Schedule tab, and turn everything off. It's for Mobile Information Server, so if you don't have that, it should prevent your Pocket PC from turning itself on soon after it's removed from the cradle.

--janak

Mystery905
03-23-2003, 10:34 PM
what gives??
Go into ActiveSync on the Pocket PC, in the Options screen/Schedule tab, and turn everything off. It's for Mobile Information Server, so if you don't have that, it should prevent your Pocket PC from turning itself on soon after it's removed from the cradle.

--janak

Thanks, I'll give it a try!