View Full Version : Useless SD Reader

Gallivant
03-20-2003, 08:44 PM
I just picked up a desktop SD reader from Radio Shack, but I can't transfer anything onto the card with it. It's not a software issue - there's a little metal bit inside the reader that flips the card's write-lock on when it's inserted. Call me crazy, but this seems to lower the thing's usefulness quite a bit. Am I doing something wrong?

Pony99CA
03-20-2003, 10:45 PM
I just picked up a desktop SD reader from Radio Shack, but I can't transfer anything onto the card with it. It's not a software issue - there's a little metal bit inside the reader that flips the card's write-lock on when it's inserted. Call me crazy, but this seems to lower the thing's usefulness quite a bit. Am I doing something wrong?
Well, you said it was an SD Reader, right? :-D Maybe it's only meant to allow you to read photos from digital cameras and such while preventing you from accidentally deleting them.

Steve

Hyperluminal
03-20-2003, 11:52 PM
Well, you could either return it-- or take it apart and just take out the metal thing... :D

Reinaldo
03-21-2003, 03:36 AM
Is there any sort of external peripheral for Secure Digital/Compact Flash that lets you erase and place files in the cards? I seriously need one that does NOT run on ActiveSync.

spursdude
03-21-2003, 04:01 AM
Is there any sort of external peripheral for Secure Digital/Compact Flash that lets you erase and place files in the cards? I seriously need one that does NOT run on ActiveSync.

Definitely - almost any USB or PCMCIA CF or SD card reader does not need to work through ActiveSync. With my CF to PCMCIA card, (i.e. use CF cards on my laptop), the CF card is seen as just a new drive on the computer, and ActiveSync stays as far away as possible. I can read, write, replace, etc... and it's at least 3 times faster.

Reinaldo
03-21-2003, 04:20 AM
Thank you for the speedy response. I thought there was something better but I didn't know that it was as easy as that. Now I can get rid of ActiveSync on file exploring. :D Slowly, I am pushing ActiveSync away from my day to day life wjile I keep my Pocket PC in.