View Full Version : Check your GPS and bring a compass!

bdegroodt
03-19-2003, 02:51 PM
Saw this on /. Seems that the U.S. may be altering the data on the civilian code version of GPS data to be a lot less than accurate.

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/19/0340247

PhatCohiba
03-19-2003, 03:09 PM
If you have any civilian GPS guided cars, Planes, Boats, etc. Please stay out of Massachusetts. (I'll be here all day today.)

Thank you for your attention. :lol:

Hey a cigar smoking emoticon: :pimp:

Yea baby.

bdegroodt
03-19-2003, 03:12 PM
No kidding. Does the Hertz NeverLost have a voice for an "Ah hell! I have no idea where we are! Did you pick up a map at the counter?" alert?

hollis_f
03-19-2003, 05:44 PM
This was rumoured some time ago. General opinion on sci.geo.satellite-nav was that they might degrade the signal locally but that a world-wide return to SA was very unlikely.

One reason is that it would provide Europe with just the reason it needs to proceed with their own GPS system. The US aren't too pleased with there being a GPS system that they cannot control. So they've been trying to persuade the EU that there's no need for a second system as they can be relied upon to keep the curent system running normally at all times.

DrtyBlvd
03-20-2003, 10:53 PM
If you have any civilian GPS guided cars, Planes, Boats, etc. Please stay out of Massachusetts. (I'll be here all day today.)

Thank you for your attention. :lol:

Hey a cigar smoking emoticon: :pimp:

Yea baby.

:rofl:

yschang
03-21-2003, 06:39 AM
Tried and tested in Taiwan...
Everything seems normal to me...

GSibble
03-21-2003, 09:09 AM
The US Government has the ability to selectively degrade the signal anywhere in the globe. Check CNN. Somewhere over the past week, this was discussed and the military suggested that it would do this in Iraq and surrounding areas, but adamently denied doing it worldwide. They know and understand the importance of GPS systems. Think about air travel and how GPS has changed that. Without the accurate signals, air travel could be dangerous.
In any case, they'll almost certainly do it locally in Iraq, but not worldwide.

-George