View Full Version : Sprint To Sell Samsung i700 and Hitachi G-1000

Andy Sjostrom
03-18-2003, 07:18 PM
<a href="http://netscape.com.com/2100-1104-992789.html?type=pt">http://netscape.com.com/2100-1104-992789.html?type=pt</a><br /><br />ZDNet reports from the CTIA conference. Here a couple of quotes from the article:<br /><br />"The company will also announce that U.S. carrier Sprint PCS plans later this year to sell two camera phones--the Samsung i700 PocketPC and the Hitachi G-1000--that will use a version of Microsoft smart phone software, Microsoft spokesman Ed Suwanjindar said. "We feel pretty good about our position," Suwanjindar said. "A year ago, we didn't have Pocket PC phone editions shipping. A year later we have more than two dozen operators shipping. We're looking forward to great things."<br /><br />Sometimes we (or is it just me?) want things to move faster, when looking forward. One year passes by very quickly, and I agree with Ed Suwanjindar: going from zero to two dozen operators shipping in one year is very well done. The article goes on to comment on the Symbian and PalmSource competition:<br /><br />"He saved his most pointed criticism for the early iteration of Microsoft smart phones, which were bug-filled and took up to 25 seconds to boot up. They were "a fantastic commentary of what doesn't work." But PalmSource itself may ultimately fall victim to Microsoft. PalmSource's software is the second most popular software for smart phones worldwide. IDC projects that by 2007, Microsoft will have overtaken PalmSource for second place in the market."<br /><br />2007 is four years from now. I wonder how IDC can come up with predictions like that, but for what is is worth -- it says something about the patience we (I) must have. These things will take time and we (I) should enjoy every small little step on the way there. So, let's cheer for the two really cool Pocket PC Phone Edition devices with built-in cameras! Way to go! For more information, check out the <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/events/springctiamdc/partner.asp">most recent press releases</a>!

Wuss912
03-18-2003, 08:34 PM
so these phone are comming out for both verizon and sprint then?

Scott R
03-18-2003, 10:03 PM
IDC projects that by 2007, Microsoft will have overtaken PalmSource for second place in the market.
Oh boy. I haven't seen one of these predictions in a while. It seemed like a year ago there was a new 4-year-down-the-road prediction put out by someone every other month. On 12/12/2001 I made the following prediction on PDABuzz:
I predict that by 2005, 82% of the handheld market will be held by "always-on" Jello pudding-pops.
I still believe this to be true. However, because of the current war situation, which I could not have predicted back then, I'm revising my prediction to say that this will not occur until 2006.

Scott

Wuss912
03-18-2003, 10:19 PM
IDC projects that by 2007, Microsoft will have overtaken PalmSource for second place in the market.
Oh boy. I haven't seen one of these predictions in a while. It seemed like a year ago there was a new 4-year-down-the-road prediction put out by someone every other month. On 12/12/2001 I made the following prediction on PDABuzz:
I predict that by 2005, 82% of the handheld market will be held by "always-on" Jello pudding-pops.
I still believe this to be true. However, because of the current war situation, which I could not have predicted back then, I'm revising my prediction to say that this will not occur until 2006.

Scott

I always loved those things the choclate ones rocked (though they always seemed to have cooling issues)