View Full Version : h1910 + cellphone?

karinatwork
03-18-2003, 05:42 PM
So the fact that the h1910 does not support serial means that I won't be able to purchase a cable and connect it to my cellphone? I did that with my Cassiopeia, to connect to the internet.

Just curious.

K.

Crystal Eitle
03-18-2003, 05:51 PM
Karin,

I have a 1910 and I was wondering the same thing.

I'm wondering if you should post this question on the Gomadic wireless internet cable thread? Maybe it would get more views, and possibly we'd get an answer faster.

Janak Parekh
03-18-2003, 05:54 PM
The only way to hook a 1910 up to a cell phone, for now, is to use a IR-capable cell phone, like the Sony Ericsson T68i. This also effectively limits your options to GSM, as there are no CDMA cell phones with IR.

--janak

JonnoB
03-18-2003, 05:57 PM
It is rumored that the 1910 will be upgradeable to support SDIO... if so, you would eventually be able to add a blue tooth SD card, but until then, your options are limited to IR phones.

Crystal Eitle
03-18-2003, 07:04 PM
So the Gomadic cable thing wouldn't work?

Janak Parekh
03-18-2003, 07:15 PM
So the Gomadic cable thing wouldn't work?
No. The big problem is that while the 1910 shares the connector with the 38/39/5400 series iPaqs, the serial pins are unused. So the connector would fit perfectly but would not work. Removing the serial chip was, AFAICT, a cost-cutting measure.

A few cell phones have USB, but the iPaq 1910 is not a USB host, so that won't work either. (One of the two USB devices in a connection must be a "Host", like your desktop PC; a few Pocket PCs have USB host, but not the 1910.)

It's IR for now and SDIO (hopefully) in the future.

--janak

TheNewSteve
03-21-2003, 07:01 PM
the new Sony Ericsson T608 (or something like that) should be released for Sprint soon, and it has bluetooth and IR, which is weird b/c sprint always seems to want to limit ways you can add usability to your phone without paying extra (like how they block ports so you can't really use your phone as a laptop or PPC modem without purchasing the premium service- you can't do it with the unlimited $10 vision service).

i'd get the t68i from amazon.com, usually it's free after rebates. the t-mobile service isn't as flawless as sprint's but works mostly fine and it's good to be out of sprint finally!

-Steve

fyiguy
03-25-2003, 07:44 AM
The only way to hook a 1910 up to a cell phone, for now, is to use a IR-capable cell phone, like the Sony Ericsson T68i. This also effectively limits your options to GSM, as there are no CDMA cell phones with IR.

--janak

There are several CDMA phones with IR, many Nokias out there are capable a good resource to check out is Howardforums (http://www.howardforums.com/). What you have to make sure is that if your phone has a built-in modem. I've been doing this for almost 2 years on a Nokia 7160(the one that looks like the phone in the Matrix) the phone also came with a serial communications cable and you just needed a null modem adapter and a serial connector to your PPC to work via wires. I call a free ISP for internet access, so the only charge is the minute deduction (the phone call is deducted from my minutes) if you have free long distance you could use the same access.

If you have a T68i you will need to put (w/o quotes) "+chsn=1,0,0,0" in the extra dial-string modem commands box before you save the connection. This will kick the T68i into CSD 9600 data mode.

Like mentioned before HP claims that "There is no serial support on the h1910...the 1910 22-pin does not support serial connection" through the cable, but it looks like it will via the IR port and will be your only option unless you purchase a USB to serial adapter, which are very expensive around $75. Hopefully the rumor of "switching" SDIO capability for the H1910 will become a reality and would solve many problems, but your only current option is connecting via IR.

If you do get the IR serial connection to your phone to work, you will need to do a few things to get your connection to work. If you have not used the phone for data before, you must configure it:

Settings>Call settings>Data services>Serial speed>Automatic (press jog dial)
Automatic serial speed is best for most applications, although almost all speed should work for data.
1 On the PPC: Settings>Connections>Modem>New Connection>
2 Enter a name for the connection: e.g. Phone
3 Select a Modem: Hayes Compatible on Com1
4 Baud Rate: 19200 (you can experiment higher if your network support compression)
5 TAP Advanced
6 Data Bits:8
7 Parity:None
8 Stop Bits: 1
9 Flow Control: Hardware
10 TICK Enter dialing commands manually
11 TAP TCP/IP and/or Name Servers to enter necessary settings for your ISP
12 TAP OK to go back to Make New Connection screen
13 TAP Next
14 Wait for dial tone before dialing - DO NOT TICK
15 TAP Finish

To Connect (with all cables/adapter/phone connected and switch on)
16 Programs>Connections
17 TAP on Phone (or other name entered at 2)
18 Type in user name and password
19 TICK Save password (if you prefer), then you do not have to enter user name/password again next time.
20 TAP Connect - Manual Dial Terminal appears, then bring up the keyboard (handwriting not recommended)
21 (type) at ENTER (bent arrow), OK should appear on the terminal screen (if not, check all cable connections)
22 (type) at ENTER (bent arrow) once more, OK should appear on the terminal screen
23 (type) atd12345678 (12345678 is your ISP number) ENTER, you should now see Z5 is dialing the number.
24 If your ISP is connected (it may not connect first time), terminal screen will indicate so. Then go on next step or you may have to re-dial again.
25 TAP OK on top right corner of Manual Dial Terminal
26 The screen of Connected to Phone is brought up showing the connection status: authentication process
27 When you hear "plong" and the status shows: connected - you have successfully connected to your ISP

Now you can browse with IE and download your mail...

Hope this helps...

Janak Parekh
03-25-2003, 04:37 PM
There are several CDMA phones with IR, many Nokias out there are capable a good resource to check out is Howardforums (http://www.howardforums.com/).
I do frequent the Howard Forums, and I've never seen a Nokia CDMA with IR available anywhere. If you know of a specific model with one, do let me know-- I've been hunting for some time. And I'd really like one with 1xRTT :)

(BTW, for trivia: it's worth pointing out the Motorola Timeport 270c had a BT addon, but it didn't have 1xRTT. The Sony Ericsson T60c apparently had a Bluetooth addon as well, and has 1xRTT, but I've not heard conclusive reports of success with this combination. Neither has IR.)

I've been doing this for almost 2 years on a Nokia 7160(the one that looks like the phone in the Matrix) the phone also came with a serial communications cable and you just needed a null modem adapter and a serial connector to your PPC to work via wires.
The 7160 is not CDMA, though, it's TDMA. And, actually, it wasn't the Matrix phone: the 8110 was (http://neuro.me.uk/bitsnbobs/matrix/phone/). Moreover, the 7160 won't support data on AT&T's network in the US, which makes it less useful for most people.

but it looks like it will via the IR port and will be your only option unless you purchase a USB to serial adapter, which are very expensive around $75.
Correct on the IR; the USB-to-serial, though, will not work, because you need a USB host, and the 1910 doesn't have that functionality.

--janak

fyiguy
03-25-2003, 09:22 PM
If you know of a specific model with one, do let me know-- I've been hunting for some time. And I'd really like one with 1xRTT :)

Good news Janak...

There are 2 phones by Nokia that support both CDMA RTT1 and have infrared, according to the user manual they have a built-in modem and it has a pretty hefty pricetag of around $699 (for that price you may better off going with a Thera...or PCcard /CF option now being offered that has voice and highspeed data…) the 2 models of Nokia are the 6370 and 6385 each currently have limited service providers but connects to the Internet at speeds advertised as up to 153.6 kbps as far as I know it is only available in Australia and NZ and via US Cellular stateside.

Here is Nokia’s current Matrix (http://americas.forum.nokia.com/device_specs/pdf/Americas_matrix.pdf) for CDMA phones…

Also note that CDMA RTT1 does use compression which will work on laptops to achieve the high data rates, but not on PDAs and if you are using a VPN that also nixes your compression advantages gained as well…but it shouldn't have any affect on your straight phone or laptop(with compression software loaded) connection.

The 7160 is not CDMA, though, it's TDMA. And, actually, it wasn't the Matrix phone: the 8110 was (http://neuro.me.uk/bitsnbobs/matrix/phone/). Moreover, the 7160 won't support data on AT&T's network in the US, which makes it less useful for most people.

Yes the 7160 is TDMA, and the carrier depends on your personal preference and if the carrier supports your phone. This TDMA phone is not at all AT&T friendly. This means that the phone is capable of working on their network, but it is up to AT&T to activate it for you (another trip to Customer service hell- which can be avoided by getting a newer and better phone). I don’t think you can even purchase this phone anymore since phones seem to become old and outdated after 6 months and carriers are constantly upgrading their network(and thats a good thing).

The phone in the Matrix is the Nokia 8110i (the 7160 shares similar shape and characteristics- hence the "looks like"comment). The 8110 series phone does not spring-slide open (like in the movie it was a specially rigged to do so by Nokia.) If you want that feature then the 7110 is your phone (which is GSM and can now only be found on places like ebay. However 2 years ago, neither of these would work in the US). You can also get the mod parts off of ebay or even purchase face plates (there are even some snap on covers for other various flavors of Nokia that sport it as well - just do a search for phone model and autoslide) or hardware hacks that have the button in the back and spring mechanism on the inside. A little cutting is involved as well…

You can convert the 7160 to work in a 7110 housing though. This will NOT work with the 7190 phone though (a similar design on the outside, but different innards).

There is a great step by step for modding your Nokia 7160 with the autoslide feature here:

http://www.all4cell.com/modification/7160slide.html

The new Matrix 2 phone by Samsung (http://www.thelastfreecity.com/docs/8078.html) looks like GI Joe Toy... but it has a nice color screen and probably a cool animated green Matrix screen saver...

Correct on the IR; the USB-to-serial, though, will not work, because you need a USB host, and the 1910 doesn't have that functionality.

Yeah thanks... brain-fart on that one, I wonder if it would work with a USB hub, but you would need 5V power it, ... nevermind :D

HP messed that one up...hopefully they can fix it like Toshiba did with the e740s...

Personlly I think my next phone will probably be a Smartphone, when my contract is up this June…hopefully one with an SDIO, Bluetooth, IR, and a camera, the TI WANDA if it comes to fruition looks to be pretty good especially since all the carriers are looking to support LAN/WAN handoffs.
How they are going to manage TCP/IP session switching via SDR and Mobile IP will be the biggest stumbling block…T-Mobile looks to be the first to be able to do this hopefully sometime this year with Cometa Networks (ATT,Intel,IBM and a few other companies) should be a close second. These are exciting times for going mobile...

It’s a tough decision to make given the technology is always changing and evolving...but we wouldn't have anything to write about if it didn't... :)

Ivan
04-25-2003, 07:43 PM

Yeah thanks... brain-fart on that one, I wonder if it would work with a USB hub, but you would need 5V power it, ... nevermind :D

Wait! not nevermind! :)

Would this be possible at all, even it it required external power?

This solution would not only work for the h1910 but for any other Pocket PC without a USB host... could there be a way to connect a Pocket PC to a cell phone without serial support by using a USB hub?

Anyone? :)

Janak Parekh
04-25-2003, 08:30 PM

Wait! not nevermind! :)

Would this be possible at all, even it it required external power?
No. The cell phone and iPaq would both connect to the hub and wait for a USB host to "contact" and communicate with them.

Sorry :(

--janak