View Full Version : Verizon Unveiling High-Speed Services

Janak Parekh
03-18-2003, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A31065-2003Mar15.html' target='_blank'>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...-2003Mar15.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Verizon Wireless Inc. plans to announce today a new high-speed data service in the Washington area that would allow mobile users to connect to the Internet at speeds as fast as or faster than those provided by cable or telephone wires."<br /><br />Looks like they're going to implement the start of a 1xEV-DO network, which is theoretically capable of 2.4mbps (with practical throughput in the 300-600kbps range). I'll take a Pocket PC enabled with that, thank you very much...<br /><br />Oh, and BTW, it looks like T-Mobile will soon have a competitor for its HotSpot technology. "Also today, Verizon Wireless plans to announce its intention to provide wireless networks at 475 hotels and 10 airports around the United States using a technology known as WiFi, for wireless fidelity."

JonnoB
03-18-2003, 12:11 AM
And I don't doubt they will mess with a good thing and charge huge gobs of money per MB of transferred data instead of the unlimited access users are asking for.

QYV
03-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Gah!! It's Washington D.C.!! I was so hoping for Redmond area - come on, all the Microsofties here would get it in a second!

Janak Parekh
03-18-2003, 01:43 AM
Gah!! It's Washington D.C.!! I was so hoping for Redmond area - come on, all the Microsofties here would get it in a second!
No no. It should be NYC first. :D

--janak

JonnoB
03-18-2003, 02:20 AM
No no. It should be NYC first. :D

--janak

No, it should be in the valley of silicon - where every great new technology is created (well at least it was until the bleeding started a few years ago.) :?

willchap
03-18-2003, 02:43 AM
no, no....in the heartland...Richmond, VA :wink:

that_kid
03-18-2003, 02:46 AM
no, no....in the heartland...Richmond, VA :wink:

That's what I'm talking about.....well at least until I move back to Jersey :)

ctmagnus
03-18-2003, 04:01 AM
That reminds me... We went to brunch at the Banff Springs hotel (highly recommended if you're ever in the area on a Sunday morning) yesterday and there was some Verizon-related activity occurring.

Bob Anderson
03-18-2003, 04:36 AM
OK.. I guess I'll quit bashing Verizon for not providing any new, exciting, news...

I can't wait to see this technology emerge... and if they price it at $99.00 for unlimited use like the CDMA 1xRTT, I'd be willing to try it out. At that price and speed, I think I could be convinced to dump my Cable modem and strictly use Verizon!

But I'm still waiting for a cool, CDMA 1xRTT, Verizon Compatible Bluetooth phone....

Janak Parekh
03-18-2003, 07:19 AM
But I'm still waiting for a cool, CDMA 1xRTT, Verizon Compatible Bluetooth phone....
Absolutely. I'm sticking with T-Mo for now, but I'd love to get Verizon's coverage back. I'd also be happy with a Pocket PC Phone.

--janak

rlobrecht
03-18-2003, 02:00 PM
I'd also be happy with a Pocket PC Phone.

Let's hope. The Thera is hideous.

RobertCF
03-18-2003, 03:37 PM
And yet those losers at Verizon still refuse to deploy DSL to cities smaller than 50,000. Amazing. They leave us with the oldest, worst possible physical infrastructure in the civilized world, but services and innovation abound for other areas. Oh, yes, and they have the monopoly here, too. Just dandy.

dbrahms
03-18-2003, 03:56 PM
I wonder if the folks at Aerie Networks (people who bought the old ricochet network) are kicking themselves for not re-deploying the service sooner. They bought the Ricochet Network in November 2001 have have only deployed it for 2 small cities...denver and san diego i think.

Janak Parekh
03-18-2003, 04:48 PM
And yet those losers at Verizon still refuse to deploy DSL to cities smaller than 50,000. Amazing. They leave us with the oldest, worst possible physical infrastructure in the civilized world, but services and innovation abound for other areas. Oh, yes, and they have the monopoly here, too. Just dandy.
Be careful of comparing Verizon Wireless and Verizon. They're two almost completely separate entities. I have no love for Verizon, the land-line company, believe me.

--janak

Pony99CA
03-20-2003, 07:21 AM
I wonder if the folks at Aerie Networks (people who bought the old ricochet network) are kicking themselves for not re-deploying the service sooner. They bought the Ricochet Network in November 2001 have have only deployed it for 2 small cities...denver and san diego i think.
Denver and San Diego are small? San Diego is the second largest city in California, ahead of San Francisco, San Jose and Oakland.

I'm in a county of about 50,000, and I can get Verizon's 1xRTT service. I guess it helps that I'm only an hour south of Silicon Valley. :-)

Steve

Stik
03-20-2003, 02:54 PM
NEW ORLEANS -- CTIA Wireless 2003 -- Agilent Technologies Inc. today showed that wireless data service is universally horrible on currently available networks in the U.S.

Agilent's verdict: The data services on these networks need a serious amount of work.

*Source- Unstrung
http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=29891